PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Spotting fake Ergos

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 03:44 PM
http://thehappyhoopywooljunkie.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-spot-fake-ergo-baby-carrier.html?

I found this post to be very helpful in identifying counterfeit Ergos -- lots of side by side comparison shots and explanations.

Bump as you see fit... :thumbsup:

EDIT So to muddy the waters further it seems the counterfeiters take a bit to catch up so probably emulate a slightly older version. So some of the things pointed out in this blog are also true for genuine older versions... Here is another blog post with pictures:

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a27198127/fake_ergo__updated_again_waction_shots

And thank you wisewoman for this link: http://naturalmamas.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127891&highlight=fake+ergo

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Great mine is a fake acorrding to that and but I bought it 5 years ago any chance that its real a.d they changed the design and its real? I feel sick

alisha_roseleip
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Nope. The labels on the real ones have never looked like that...

shortcake2386
09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
:thumbsup:
never knew mine had a pocket for the hood:hide:

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Lovely, I am in tears seriously I had no idea. My dd loves my ergo. She gets excited when she see its. Its the only way I get things done. I have NO money to get a new one right now but will be as soon as I can. I bought it off of here I think. Should I not use it at all until then? What do I do with it? Throw it out?

shortcake2386
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Lovely, I am in tears seriously I had no idea. My dd loves my ergo. She gets excited when she see its. Its the only way I get things done. I have NO money to get a new one right now but will be as soon as I can. I bought it off of here I think. Should I not use it at all until then? What do I do with it? Throw it out?

:hugs:

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Mine must be a good knock off...........it does have the ergo symbol on the zipper but everything else says Fake

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I just ruined a really sweet lady's day by not buying her fake off craigslist after she drove to meet me :hide: I don't think she had any idea it wasn't the real deal, but it was seriously falling apart after "8 months use."
That being said, if what you have is working for you and has proven itself to be secure, some folks may want to keep using them regardless of actual brand :dunno:

corinne76
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
FYI, I did have a fake one, confirmed by ergo. It did have the ergo logo on the zipper. it did have the label on the back of the waistband.
It was, however, thinner than a real one. and it was missing the serial number in the pocket.

Just wanted to put that out there. not all fakes will be exactly like that post says

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes, my impression was that if it had any if those components (not necessarly all of them) then it was suspect...

Lovely Momma
09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
i dont think that the pictures are accurate though.. i had OLD ergo (talking 2006) and it was absolutely an authentic and it had the same hood attachment (where its looped through) AND the chest strap was the way the "fake" is described...

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 07:07 PM
A mom in my babywearing group did say that the old hood was like that. Also my infant insert does say the ergo baby carrier so they did use that label. I am sending her over here..

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
i dont think that the pictures are accurate though.. i had OLD ergo (talking 2006) and it was absolutely an authentic and it had the same hood attachment (where its looped through) AND the chest strap was the way the "fake" is described...

That's helpful - do you happen to remember if it had any of the other hallmarks? I would imagine the counterfeiters take a bit to catch up so probably emulate a slightly older version.

Mom2PCAJD
09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I posted this in the bwing forum, so I apologize for being redundant. The older next generation ERGO's did look like this. The label was on the body, the chest belt was different, and the hood was different. I owned one like this myself and know 100% for sure it was not a fake.

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I posted this in the bwing forum, so I apologize for being redundant. The older next generation ERGO's did look like this. The label was on the body, the chest belt was different, and the hood was different. I owned one like this myself and know 100% for sure it was not a fake.

Do you happen to know/remember about the buckles, padding and sleeping hood tag? I guess the other indicators are useful to look for if it's bring sold as a "new" carrier...

Mom2PCAJD
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Do you happen to know/remember about the buckles, padding and sleeping hood tag? I guess the other indicators are useful to look for if it's bring sold as a "new" carrier...

I think you are absolutely correct, these may be good things to look for in a "new" carrier, but definitely not in a used carrier. I put out a request in my local bwing group for the mom who bought my old one to take pics. I will let you know if she answers.

Clothcrazy09
09-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Whew!! Thanks for the info. Mine's real!! :lostit:

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Still hoping mine is real. My only concerns now are finding out if the label on the front should have the on the label on the infant insert it says the ergo baby carrier . My label does not iy just says the ergo baby carrier.
Also wondering about the serial number and the buckle. Mine does say warrior.

morganandevansmom
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I emailed Ergo. I am feeling more confident though that it is real.

tideseeker
09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I e-mailed as well. I still want to know about the warrior buckles and sleeping hood tag when buying used...

staceyroo77
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
So, I have two Ergos, one is Cranberry and it seems to be geniune, nothing on it seems to be off. I'm pretty sure I bought it from Paxbaby too. I'm going to check my records in the morning.

The second one is a Organic Blue Embroidered Ergo from Babysteals. The only questionable things are the inside tag says "Made in India", but it does have a serial number. Where any Ergo's made in India? It also has a D ring, but everything else matches. The sleeping hood and snaps look right. I have noticed the chest clip strap moves easily though.

Lovely Momma
09-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I have heard some of them were from India, yes. Paxbaby has pretty up-to-date information regarding the fakes...

As for halmarks of the old ergo, I had a black with creatures (bugs) i freakin LOVED that carrier, would give anything to have it back!! I dont recall anything else but those two for sure stood out to me.

corinne76
09-09-2011, 01:07 AM
So, I have two Ergos, one is Cranberry and it seems to be geniune, nothing on it seems to be off. I'm pretty sure I bought it from Paxbaby too. I'm going to check my records in the morning.

The second one is a Organic Blue Embroidered Ergo from Babysteals. The only questionable things are the inside tag says "Made in India", but it does have a serial number. Where any Ergo's made in India? It also has a D ring, but everything else matches. The sleeping hood and snaps look right. I have noticed the chest clip strap moves easily though.

I believe ergos from babysteals are real. Long story short, I spoke with a mom locally that bought a fake ergo from the same lady I did (beware of CL!) and that mom contacted ergo to see what she could do. they suggested to wait a little cause some were going to be on babysteals shortly. so I know they have an agreement or whatever

wisewoman
09-09-2011, 04:06 AM
Good thread about this here (i dont have aenough posts to post proper links but Im sure you can work it out):

naturalmamas.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127891&highlight=fake+ergo

Also for those with older generation ERGO's i discovered the following (my post taken from the above thread):------

"I have been doing a bit of investigation about fake ERGO's as I had an older (1st generation) one with little critters lining and had wondered if it was fake. So I contacted ERGO and a website caled 'Babes In Arms' (has a page about fake ergo's) and it seems that you can NOT go by the much seen fake 'checklist' (as seen in airetauriels psot above) for the older (and not been made for a few years) 1st generation carriers.

Theres a link to the differences between the 1st and 2nd here:
wwwDOTergobabycarrier.com/media...omparisons.pdf

With the 1st generation carriers they may have 'The Ergo Baby Carrier' on the label or the newer 'Ergo Baby'

The 1st generation do NOT have anything on the zip.

They can have 'Warrior' on the buckles and not 'Stealth' - (Stealth make the Warrior buckle!)

The wash and care isntructions are on the body of the 1st gen carrier in one language. You can just about see the location on the 1st generation on the ERGO website here:wwwDOTergobabycarriers.com/baby...ategory/about

Good videos showing the 1st generation ERGO carrier can be found here: wn.com/ergobabyand here: wwwDOTyoutube.com/watch?v=XFnbSVh3YYs

Anyway I hope that helps some of you or those lookign to buy older ERGO's secondhand. With all the fakes flooding on to the market in the last couple of years things are getting confusing!

ERGO and Babes in Arms were both very helpful and I received replies very quickly so if in doubt its also worth contacting them! "

:thumbsup:

Melissa

Teahya&nikolais_mommy
09-09-2011, 04:53 AM

U could try Jillian at paxbaby for a carrier she sales awesome ones, not ergo's but I bought an O&A from Her & me & DS love it! She also does layaway!! Sorry that yours was a fake I know exactly how u feel that's how I ended up buying one from Paxbaby lol mine was also a fake!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

morganandevansmom
09-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks Melissa. Looks like mine is real after all since its 5 years old and the first generation

tideseeker
09-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks Melissa. Looks like mine is real after all since its 5 years old and the first generation

I'm so glad, and so sorry for worrying you! :hide:

morganandevansmom
09-09-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm so glad, and so sorry for worrying you! :hide:

That's ok. I just feel so relieved. My baby girl loves the ergo she gets excited when she see's it and wants in LOL