PDA

View Full Version : If your house blew away..........

PoshPants
09-10-2011, 08:03 PM
what would you miss from your house? what would you be happy to see gone?

If the answer isn't everything and nothing then you need to look again at what belongings you have.

I am feeling overwhelmed by some of the stuff in my home right now and feel very :banghead: and :cry:

There are things I would cry about if they were gone but there is too much I'd say, good riddens about.

Something to think about.....

myfrugalfunlife
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Hmmm-to be honest I'd love it if my dh's evil parrot got blown away :blush: The parrot came with the marriage and I HATE that bird-almost 9 yrs of me feeding the thing, and it still tries to bite me ugh!

I can't think of anything I'd really miss-for my sanity I'd really hope my kids lovey blankets were with us and not in the house lol! I also have a small dragon figurine that I got on our honeymoon, which represents me going up in a helicopter tour (I'm terrified to fly, so that was a BIG deal)-the dragon is wearing flight goggles :giggle: But, it's small enough to fit in my pocket so I'd grab that in one hand, and the kids blankets in the other-I'd be set :giggle2:

amcess721
09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I echo your sentiments about our own home. I'd dearly miss the photographs/scrapbooks and the harddrive downstairs with the desktop that holds all the (as of yet) unprinted photos. And really, that's the extent of actual belongings that I'd be upset about.
Oh, and bunny and blanket which DD is obsessed with and can't sleep without! LOL! Those 2 things would make life much easier as we were figuring out the logistics of what to do if the actual house did blow away!

photocat
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah, my kids baby pictures and our wedding photos, those are the only things I'd be actually upset over losing.

I would miss my digi camera, my iPad and my thermomix but of course, they are replaceable, whereas baby pictures are not. I sometimes wonder what we'd spend insurance money on if the house and all it's contents was burned up, I think we'd be super-minimalists then.

And yes, my 3 yr old's loveys would be up there on the must-grab list too.

*LizziesLoops*
09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
All my scrapbooks and the laptops (they have all the pictures on them) are the main things I'd miss. Oh and at least some of my diapers LOL Everything else we could live without but it would be a pain to replace it. Thankfully my girls aren't super attached to any loveys. They're pretty independent. But hopefully, if I knew a storm or something was coming that could do that, I'd pack both laptops and my scrapbook bag and kits in the van.

Fairycat
09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
We have a good hunk of our pictures, wedding and DS's pictures, stored on Archive Quality disks, at DH's work as a back up, and a set here. I think it is something everyone should think if doing.

I have a lot of signed books, 5 paintings, and some other art work, I would miss terribly as almost all of it is one of a kind. My high school trunk with letters and things from when I was young, and probably a few other small things.

Seeing as we are trying to get rid of the house, since insurance would cover it and we would be off the hook, and it would be 1000 times easier for our move, I would be happiest to see the house go :blush: Hate to say this since I do still really love my house, but we need to move on.

AfWife8405
09-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Definitely baby pictures. Also, the pictures of my dogs that have passed on and their ashes. Everything else could be replaced.

Mysweetseven
09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I try to ask myself as I'm going through things and am tempted to keep them..."If I only had 1 hour to gather my things and get out of the house, would I know where everything that I wanted to keep is....". The answer right now is still NO and it bothers me. I doubt I would miss few things other than the kids scrapbooks and a few other small sentimental items but it would be nice to be able to grad a few good days worth of clothes, necessary items for everyone too.

Mysweetseven
09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
And I love the idea of keeping back up discs at a different location. I'm going to work on this.

nada87
09-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I would miss...
My laptop, Kindle, cell phone, wallet, the letters DH wrote me while we were dating, and the momentos from when the kids were babies (a few outfits, hospital hats and bracelets, baptism momentos) and my envelope system (only because its'full of money right now) Oh and the build-a-bears we made each kid when I was pg. And the huge thing of photos that aren't digital. The digital one are all backed up at my in laws.

Jenette
09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
I would want all the photos and electronics that hold photos. A few shirts that my were my best friends that passed away.

I would happy to see all the papers GONE ... I keep way to much crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why, oh why do I do this to myself? I have manuals for everything, papers from high school ... Ug, I wish I could just chuck it all. No I have to look through every scrap. Thanks for the vent.

flynnsmom
09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I would miss pictures, but family members could help me out with copies. I really like 2 necklaces I own, my iPad, and the iPod. I could do without the rest, but it would be nice to have my bike, bed, and the new couch. Oh, the surfboards too, but those could be replaced as well.

Daniella Jean
09-10-2011, 11:33 PM
I can't say that I would be glad to have anything gone... I would miss the pictures on my computer, in albums, and on the wall, I would miss my yarn, I would really miss all the plants. I would miss some of my shoes, because I only recently discovered shoes that actually fit my feet. I would miss some of my clothes as well because I've also had a really hard time finding clothes that fit well and look nice. I also miss my camera.
:blush:

myfrugalfunlife
09-11-2011, 04:43 AM
I would miss...
My laptop, Kindle, cell phone, wallet, the letters DH wrote me while we were dating, and the momentos from when the kids were babies (a few outfits, hospital hats and bracelets, baptism momentos) and my envelope system (only because its'full of money right now) Oh and the build-a-bears we made each kid when I was pg. And the huge thing of photos that aren't digital. The digital one are all backed up at my in laws.

ooh-that's a good one! I'd need to grab those too :giggle: I must be the only mama on the planet who does not take pictures of her kids regularly-I think the last time I took pictures was at Christmas time :blush: My mil and sil take a lot though, and we're with them all the time (vacation with them etc), so if I really wanted/needed pictures then I can always make copies of theirs. But, I only have three small albums of pictures, from the last 9 years (since we've been married), and I wouldn't really miss them if they were gone. They're actually stashed in my attic right now. We never even got our wedding pictures developed!

AniBee
09-11-2011, 08:19 AM
If I had 10 minutes to grab what I wanted, here's what I'd snatch:

Photos [real copy, digital copies which are on an external HD & photos from the walls]
A big box of letters, cards etc. that DH & I have given each other over the course of our 15 years together
My boys blankies & they each have a box in their room w/ their hospital bracelets etc.
Our lock box [which houses our marriage license, DH's adoption papers & other important papers]

I could do without everything else. Not to say I wouldn't miss it, but I don't NEED it.

JeDeeLenae
09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I would only miss the sentimental things. The t shirt my brother used to wear 25 years ago. My night gown that my daughter wears now, 27 years later. The photos sitting on my computer that I never developed/printed. And my box of memories... It's all I have from my high school years after my belongings were all stolen during a move from college. Other than that, we could replace stuff, even if it would be a pain.

erin_c_odonnell
09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah I'd be glad if it did :blush: save me a lot of time. Only thing I'd reaalllly miss is our scrapbooks/pictures and my rings but even those I know I could live without if need be. Yeah- pretty much theyre just things to me- very little sentimental stuff here. As long as I have my family, nothing else matters ;)