PDA

View Full Version : Scentsy consultant - talk me in or out - I'm in!

lecialefty
09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I think all of us here would like some extra $$. :) I know I would even though we don't "have" to have it, it'd be nice. I thought about making and selling things, but I'm just not sure about it because I'd like to make kid's things and don't understand the whole CPSIA thing. There are other things I've thought about selling, just not sure I could do it.

So enter direct sales. Scentsy is the first one to really interest me. So talk me in our out.

In:
1) I don't know any consultants in my area, there are a few on the website but nobody I know uses Scentsy to my knowledge.
2) I think it's a product I would personally like so that would make it easier to sell right?
3) And it seems that after I got a few customers they'd repeat business for more scent bricks/bars
4) It doesn't seem at all expensive compared to other direct sales

Out:
1) Dh isn't all that for it. He thinks I'd be happier selling things I make but I'm just not sure that can happen.
2) Never having done direct sales, what if it's a failure? There goes the starter $$ down the drain.

So that's what I've come up with so far. More thoughts?

Another question for consultants, do you make many sales online? Are the items drop shipped?

So that's what I've got so far. Any input appreciated. :goodvibes:

P!nkPepper
09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I am not a consultant but if I wasn't pregnant & we lived at home I would be. I don't see the start up kit as that expensive & if you don't like selling it, you can use the stuff at home and/or sell it on Ebay.

myfrugalfunlife
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
My Scentsy story:
I've been a Scentsy customer (ie total addict lol) since last year, and after talking to dh about it, and going back and forth about trying yet another home based business (I also tried MK and Avon years ago), I decided to take the plunge and became a consultant in August.

I came into the whole thing with the mindset of just getting my stuff at a discount, but then I got that starter kit (I think it's like 30 or 40lbs!), and it was better then Christmas morning :giggle2:

I decided to go ahead and do a super casual launch party at my house, and I did it open house style. I had 5 people come-none of them had ever heard of Scentsy before (also pretty unknown in our area), and everyone placed an order.

Well that was the start of it :giggle2:
-I dropped my mom's order off and then ran some errands. Came home and there was a message on my answering machine with her freaking out, and saying she HAD to order more of this stuff-she placed a second order right then and there!

-my sister placed an order for a warmer/bars. Bil stopped by later (dh's best friend), and decided to buy a couple scents that he liked. Fast forward a few days later-he calls me in a panic because my sister won't share her warmer, and he NEEDS to buy a warmer so he can use his scents. He made a special trip to my house, just to order a warmer (and more scents).

-sister decides from my launch party, to host a basket party at her work. She brings it in, and only has one co-worker place an order. This past weekend I get a totally random email from someone I've never met-she's the cousin of that one customer, and she was at her cousins house and smelled her Scentsy warmer. She had never heard of Scentsy before, but she told me she had to have her own Scentsy warmer now, and I set her up with a basket party last night. She's emailed me several times today, and it sounds like her co-workers are going nuts over the samplers-I'm really excited to see what her total is!

-I have another friend, who I invited to my launch party but was unable to come, already tell me she wants to place a very large order this fall, for a group of volunteers she buys gifts for every year. She also wants to host a party. I NEVER mentioned to her the idea of having a party-she came to me!

-I've already gotten my first commission check-deposited directly into our checking account :mrgreen:

-I've got two people already wanting to order warmers/bars for Christmas gifts :lostit:

Scentsy makes people go crazy lol! The stuff seriously sells itself, and I'm loving being a consultant!

They also just changed the minimum requirement-to stay an active consultant you only need to place one order, of any amount, once every six months! So there's absolutely no pressure to hit certain sales amounts. You can do it a hobby, or as a part/full time job. It's totally up to you.

Also-the stuff you get in the starter kit is more then what the $99 cost is, so even if you decide to not keep pursuing it, you get a lot of pretty cool things that you can use for yourself.

lecialefty
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Love your story :loveit:

They also just changed the minimum requirement-to stay an active consultant you only need to place one order, of any amount, once every six months! So there's absolutely no pressure to hit certain sales amounts. You can do it a hobby, or as a part/full time job. It's totally up to you :)

Sweet, I didn't know that part. The last thing I read was $150 over the space of 3 months. This sounds a lot more doable for me.

Dh is still pretty skeptical, but I did just tell him the idea today. Let's hope he "warms" up to it. :giggle:

myfrugalfunlife
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Love your story :loveit:

Sweet, I didn't know that part. The last thing I read was $150 over the space of 3 months. This sounds a lot more doable for me.

Dh is still pretty skeptical, but I did just tell him the idea today. Let's hope he "warms" up to it. :giggle:

The new requirement started September 1st. So, you could hypothetically order one replacement bulb for $1 every six months to keep active :giggle:

AndeeL
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Mama, I think you talked me into it, lol.

Can you tell me what % comm consultants get?

If my 2 yo dd had a job, I'd be rich; she loves Scentsy!

myfrugalfunlife
09-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Mama, I think you talked me into it, lol.

Can you tell me what % comm consultants get?

If my 2 yo dd had a job, I'd be rich; she loves Scentsy!
Starting out consultants make 20% commission, and then once they hit $1,000 in total sales, the commission is bumped up to 25% from then on. You get extra percentages for having a team and such, but I'm not focused on doing anything like that right now, so I don't know what the percentages are on all of that.

mama2jack
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I've been thinking of just hosting a party by now am thinking of selling too, lol.

mama2jack
09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Do consultants get a discount on product?

myfrugalfunlife
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh my-I just checked my email, and this was in my in box, from the person who's currently doing the basket party
Hi Sara,
So, I have had a great response from people and already got some orders on my first day!! Yay! I was wondering if you could send me some information on becoming a scentsy consultant. This stuff is a lot of fun to sell and people love it! Plus, it seems to be something I could do around my schedule fairly easily. Thanks again, and sorry for sending so many emails!

I don't even know how to sign someone up to be a consultant lol! Off to email my sponsor (Scentsy wonder woman Cherrypie :mrgreen:)

myfrugalfunlife
09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I've been thinking of just hosting a party by now am thinking of selling too, lol.
:giggle:

Do consultants get a discount on product?
You get the commission off of anything you order-it doesn't come off the top, but you get it via a commission check on the 10th of the following month. So it's like getting a 20% discount kwim?

charise820
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
sounds better than when I tried to sell barefoot books. I just don't think i could sell it thoug I love your story

lookatreestar
09-15-2011, 01:20 AM
how do you figure out how many consultants are in your area?

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 04:52 AM

I don't know how to find the number of consultants in your zip code-maybe another consultant can chime in with the answer?

2boysforme!
09-15-2011, 05:23 AM
The new requirement started September 1st. So, you could hypothetically order one replacement bulb for $1 every six months to keep active :giggle:

What?!??? Dang, I got terminated earlier this year because I didn't meet the old goal! I wonder if I could talk them into reinstating me?? Lol

To the OP I started selling in Jan of 2010 and within the first month I made back quadruple what the starter kit cost. I made really good money for about 8 months then one of my best customers signed up to sell and took a lot of my business with her. I know I cant use that as an excuse because I didn't really "get out there" looking for prospects. My main reason for signing up was because I couldn't find a consultant here. Now, they're everywhere! Lol but what they say is true, once you get the product out there it will sell itself. I barely pushed for sales and the orders just rolled in. Good luck with your decision!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum. Sorry for typos or incorrect autocorrects!

2boysforme!
09-15-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't know how to find the number of consultants in your zip code-maybe another consultant can chime in with the answer?

When I was a consultant it would only being up 5 at a time...

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 05:48 AM
What?!??? Dang, I got terminated earlier this year because I didn't meet the old goal! I wonder if I could talk them into reinstating me?? Lol

To the OP I started selling in Jan of 2010 and within the first month I made back quadruple what the starter kit cost. I made really good money for about 8 months then one of my best customers signed up to sell and took a lot of my business with her. I know I cant use that as an excuse because I didn't really "get out there" looking for prospects. My main reason for signing up was because I couldn't find a consultant here. Now, they're everywhere! Lol but what they say is true, once you get the product out there it will sell itself. I barely pushed for sales and the orders just rolled in. Good luck with your decision!!

I don't know what the time frame is, but they were letting consultants become active again with no penalty-email accountservices@scentsy.com and ask them, if you're interested in becoming active again :)

2boysforme!
09-15-2011, 05:53 AM
I don't know what the time frame is, but they were letting consultants become active again with no penalty-email accountservices@scentsy.com and ask them, if you're interested in becoming active again :)

Awesome, thanks! I sold a lot of my display warmers at work a couple of weeks ago though. Lol doh!

2+2macht4
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Why not Avon it is only 40 to start and you get 40% commision. I sold avon for years. I have no clue what scentsy is.

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Why not Avon it is only 40 to start and you get 40% commision. I sold avon for years. I have no clue what scentsy is.

I did sell Avon, about two years ago (it was $10 to sign up :)). What I found is that in my area-everyone used Avon, everyone already had an Avon lady, and many of them had been loyal customers for many many years. Even my own mom wouldn't buy from me, because she had been with her Avon rep for ages. I couldn't get a customer base together, and I also didn't have a passion for their products, so I lost interest in it quickly. I also didn't like that you had to constantly buy new catalogs, because they changed them so frequently. Scentsy only has two catalogs a year so you're not buying different ones all the time, or having to learn new products/new prices every few weeks.

Scentsy is a wick-less, fire-less candle system that uses scented wax cubes, and warmers. They're safer then traditional candles because you're not lighting a wick (and then forgetting to blow it out). The wax is also warmed at low temps (the warmers have 15-25 watt bulbs), so if curious fingers accidentally touch the wax while it's going in the warmer it won't burn them :)
There's also over 80 scent choices, so lots of options! Scentsy started in 2006, and has really taken off in the past few years, but it's still pretty unheard of in my area. Not one person I know IRL had ever heard of it before I told them about it, but their all addicted to it now :giggle:

2+2macht4
09-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I never heard of it over here. Too bad if they are electric I cannot use them :(

2boysforme!
09-15-2011, 06:15 AM
I never heard of it over here. Too bad if they are electric I cannot use them :(

There has been talk of battery operated warmers.

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 06:22 AM

They do plug in, but they also have warmers that work with the difference in power supplies between the U.S. and other countries like Canada, Germany, etc :)

lecialefty
09-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Mainly because I'm not much of a make up person and I don't care for their other products. :dunno: And there are already plenty of Avon consultants around here.

Scentsy on the other hand is a product I think I would love.

After sleeping on it I still really want to do it, just gotta convince dh, he wants to give it a bit more time.

More questions:

Does your sponsor have to live in your area?
Do you know what organizations/foundations/charities Scentsy supports?

mlgurney
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
No, your sponsors don't have to live local to you. When I became a consultant, I researched and asked lots of questions. I wanted to make sure that I got a sponsor that was a good fit and that she was active, but not too busy to deal with all my questions! I live in WI and my sponsor lives in TX and it's worked out great! Each catalog, Scentsy picks an organization that they donate proceeds to. They have donated tons of money to Breast Cancer Research from the last catalog. This catalog they are donating money to the Ronald McDonald House. I have never been more proud to work for a company! I wasn't able to go to the convention last year, but watched parts of it live on my computer and I was crying. The owners, Orville and Heidi Thompson are such wonderful people that give back and become part of your family! You can tell that they are not putting on a show for you and that this is how they are in their day to day life!

2boysforme!
09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
No, your sponsors don't have to live local to you. When I became a consultant, I researched and asked lots of questions. I wanted to make sure that I got a sponsor that was a good fit and that she was active, but not too busy to deal with all my questions! I live in WI and my sponsor lives in TX and it's worked out great! Each catalog, Scentsy picks an organization that they donate proceeds to. They have donated tons of money to Breast Cancer Research from the last catalog. This catalog they are donating money to the Ronald McDonald House. I have never been more proud to work for a company! I wasn't able to go to the convention last year, but watched parts of it live on my computer and I was crying. The owners, Orville and Heidi Thompson are such wonderful people that give back and become part of your family! You can tell that they are not putting on a show for you and that this is how they are in their day to day life!

They also had a puzzle piece warmer and so much of the profit went to sAutism awareness.

COgle3
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
You can write off your starter kit, clothes, and samples/demo products on your taxes. Aka free start up. I did it for Mary Kay and I couldn't keep up because I was preggo w a toddler. Basically I walked away w free make up and an idea of how to get Rollin when I start up again

lecialefty
09-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Already thought about the tax thing. :) Dh's grandfather does taxes so he will know what all I can get out of it.

I'm pregnant with a toddler too, but with the one order every 6 months...this seems very doable.

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Mainly because I'm not much of a make up person and I don't care for their other products. :dunno: And there are already plenty of Avon consultants around here.

Scentsy on the other hand is a product I think I would love.

After sleeping on it I still really want to do it, just gotta convince dh, he wants to give it a bit more time.

More questions:

Does your sponsor have to live in your area?
Your sponsor does not have to live in your state-DS mama Cherrypie is mine, and I have no clue where she lives :giggle:
The fall/winter charitable cause is the Ronald McDonald house. They do others, but that's the one their highlighting right now :)

lecialefty
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Your sponsor does not live in your state-DS mama Cherrypie is mine, and I have no clue where she lives :giggle:
The fall/winter charitable cause is the Ronald McDonald house. They do others, but that's the one their highlighting right now :)

I think she lives in mine :D fairly close to me actually.

AndeeL
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Your sponsor does not live in your state-DS mama Cherrypie is mine, and I have no clue where she lives :giggle:

Mama, it may be a month or so before I get started but can I sign up under you? :)

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Mama, it may be a month or so before I get started but can I sign up under you? :)

I'm heading out for the afternoon, but I'll send you a pm later today :)

tfinetwins
09-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I would like more information as well.

Thank you!

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I would like more information as well.

Thank you!

No problem-I'm heading out right now, but I'll be home in a couple hours and I'll send you a pm as well :)

And honestly it wasn't my intention to jump into this post and try to amass my own Scentsy army :giggle2: But I do truly love their products, and I love passing the info onto others :)

Bekki
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Hmm... Now I'm thinking about doing this! I've never seen Scentsy products before, but I hear that they're fabulous.

I already WAH 20 hours a week, but this might be something neat to do on the side! I'm part of a super active playgroup, and a Scentsy party would be an awesome mom's night out!

Is this the thing I can just do with 2 or 3 parties a year?

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Hmm... Now I'm thinking about doing this! I've never seen Scentsy products before, but I hear that they're fabulous.

I already WAH 20 hours a week, but this might be something neat to do on the side! I'm part of a super active playgroup, and a Scentsy party would be an awesome mom's night out!

Is this the thing I can just do with 2 or 3 parties a year?

That's totally up to you-the only requirement to stay an active consultant, is to place one order, of any size, at least once every six months. That one order doesn't have to be a party either-it could be a personal order for you :)

My plan going into this was to do a launch party (did this last month), and then I'm planning on doing an open house style party at my house once in the fall, and then once in the spring, when the new catalogs come out. My fall party will be sometime in mid-October, and my spring party will be in March.

I had no plans on running parties at other people's houses, but I already have one friend who's requested that I do one for her this fall. She'll be the hostess and earn hostess reward credits, and I'll earn the commission on the party :)

Besides home parties there's also basket parties-I'm doing my second one right now, and really like the format of these. You pack a bag/tote/basket with your scent testers, and include catalogs and order forms with it. The hostess passes it around at work/to friends/family etc. You then collect orders/payments, and the tote back, and then submit the order.

delicatefade
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
They do plug in, but they also have warmers that work with the difference in power supplies between the U.S. and other countries like Canada, Germany, etc :)

We use the same power supply as the US :) Europe uses 220 though.

myfrugalfunlife
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM
We use the same power supply as the US :) Europe uses 220 though.
Thanks for clarifying-I thought Canada had to use a slightly different warmer, but I definitely could be wrong :)

CherryPie
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM

We can tell how many by state but that is it. LMK if you want to know how many in your state.

I don't even know how to sign someone up to be a consultant lol! Off to email my sponsor (Scentsy wonder woman Cherrypie :mrgreen:)

haha! :blush: You would be great sponsor to anyone who signs up under you!

They actually just opened Scentsy up to Europe! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scentsy-Deutschland/169455633098798

The new cause is the Ronald McDonald House but they are still selling their Piece by Piece warmer and Sunshine Kids warmer while supplies last. Both the college and university warmers support each respective cause too. On top of that, Scentsy donates to several other charities and even scholarships!. See more info at http://scentsyfamilyfoundation.com/. On the 20th they are doing a Teeeter Totter-a-thon for charity :giggle: http://scentsyteetertotter.com/. Recently they donated over $600,000 to an Idaho food bank (http://www.haltthehunger.com/). During convention, us consultants raised thousands of $$$ for a food bank in TX :D This is a VERY giving company.

chegarty
09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I feel like being a consult just so I gan give out super great gifts for cheaper!

lecialefty
09-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm convinced. :D But dh wants to wait until next week. :foottap: :giggle:

myfrugalfunlife
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Yay! You're going to love it :mrgreen:

CherryPie
09-16-2011, 03:37 PM

One thing that I love about Scentsy is that DH's have fun with it too. Some of my customers are single men thanks to my DH.

IrishCowgirl
09-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I sell Scentsy too. One thing I did see that someone mentioned Ebay and that is against Scentsy rules. Can get you banned forever for selling.

I love it. We make it a family thing. My kids love to help with the order sorting. Plus its SO kid friendly(ie: won't burn them). I've been doing it for 2.5 years. Its so easy, and fun! And the new requirements make it more appealing for sure. And you don't have to buy a whole new kit each transition time, just the new scent testers for the upcoming scents and the new catalogs.

Fishie Kisses
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I sell Scentsy too. One thing I did see that someone mentioned Ebay and that is against Scentsy rules. Can get you banned forever for selling.

I love it. We make it a family thing. My kids love to help with the order sorting. Plus its SO kid friendly(ie: won't burn them). I've been doing it for 2.5 years. Its so easy, and fun! And the new requirements make it more appealing for sure. And you don't have to buy a whole new kit each transition time, just the new scent testers for the upcoming scents and the new catalogs.

^^^Katie is AWESOME!! I have ordered from her and had a party with her.

I pink sparkly heart Scentsy. Both my kids have stuck their hands in it and while they can recognize that it's hot, it does not even leave a mark on them. And it lasts FOREVER!! I have had the same square in my warmer for over a month and the scent is still going strong.

Fishie Kisses
09-16-2011, 04:35 PM
One thing that I love about Scentsy is that DH's have fun with it too. Some of my customers are single men thanks to my DH.

yes! DH has as much fun switching scents and warmers as I do!!

tmrobinson
09-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what comes in the Consultant starter package thing? It's $99 to start right? A friend and I both want to try and haven't ever ordered before so I was thinking I of doing the consultant thing too just for the discount for myself. I filled my cart online and I was at $65 already so $99 isn't a whole lot more and then I could split some with my friend too.

mrscompgeek
09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Scentsy is super easy product to sell. . . I log into my account every few days and am surprised alot when I have orders just randomly placed through my website from people. . Lol. My husbands grandma is my biggest buyer. . She is addicted. its so funny.
You will LOVE scentsy. The new seller requirements is super awesome too now!

CherryPie
09-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Can anyone tell me what comes in the Consultant starter package thing? It's $99 to start right? A friend and I both want to try and haven't ever ordered before so I was thinking I of doing the consultant thing too just for the discount for myself. I filled my cart online and I was at $65 already so $99 isn't a whole lot more and then I could split some with my friend too.

This is what you get:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae119/GetSafeScents/misc/11FW_join_Starterkit.jpg

You may get a different Buddy or warmer, etc though than the ones shown.

Your Starter Kit** will include:
Scentsy Party Fragrance Testers
2011 Fall / Winter (15)
Favorites (15)
Scentsy Man (10)
Romance (10)
Spa (10)
Corner Café (10)
Seven Seas (10)
Demonstration Products
Full-Size Scentsy Warmer (1)
Scentsy Buddy (1)
Scent Pak (1)
Scentsy Bar (1)
Room Spray (1)
Fragrance Foam (1)
Travel Tin (1)
Scent Circle (1)
Light Bulbs (4)
Business Supplies
2011 Fall / Winter Catalogs (50)
Discover Scentsy DVD (1)
New Consultant Start-Up Guide (1)
Scentsy Planning Calendar (1)
Planning Calendar Stickers (1 sheet)
Business Cards (100)
Invitations (100)
Order Forms (100)
Host Envelopes (5)
Buy Brochures (25)
Host Brochures (25)
Join Brochures (25)
Consultant Folder (1)
Welcome Letter

CherryPie
09-16-2011, 05:47 PM

If you do decide to join, LMK if you want into the TN FB group I created for TN consultants :)

charise820
09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Wow this stuff looks cool i have never tried it and I bet it would be hard for this area there are so many already selling it. but I might have to hit them up to get some or one of the ds mamas

tmrobinson
09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
So if you are a consultant and you place an order for yourself and/or others do you pay shipping? How does that work?

CherryPie
09-16-2011, 06:08 PM
So if you are a consultant and you place an order for yourself and/or others do you pay shipping? How does that work?

Shipping for Scentsy is $5 flat up until $50, then it is only 10% of the total. After $150 it is free. I always just place everything as a party order so it will all get free shipping (parties are at least $150) as long as it all ships to me and then I deliver it to the hostess all bagged up, labeled and separated.

MamaSarahMay
09-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes Katie is amazing! I did a party for her and she is super super nice!

I LOVE Scentsy. I got my Mom hooked too and she was a huge candle lover and said she would never switch. You dont have to worry about flames or kiddos getting burned and the smell lasts forever! I had my son's birthday party last weekend and had my baked apple pie burning and had 3 different people ask me about Scentsy :) Love it!

petuniajo
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Shipping for Scentsy is $5 flat up until $50, then it is only 10% of the total. After $150 it is free. I always just place everything as a party order so it will all get free shipping (parties are at least $150) as long as it all ships to me and then I deliver it to the hostess all bagged up, labeled and separated.

I don't live close to any of my family, so if they ordered from me (hypothetically), would I need to have it shipped to me and then turn around and ship it to them?

P!nkPepper
09-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes Katie is amazing! I did a party for her and she is super super nice!

I LOVE Scentsy. I got my Mom hooked too and she was a huge candle lover and said she would never switch. You dont have to worry about flames or kiddos getting burned and the smell lasts forever! I had my son's birthday party last weekend and had my baked apple pie burning and had 3 different people ask me about Scentsy :) Love it!

I only mentioned Ebay if you were done selling & trying to get rid of supplies. Not as a way to sell it normally. :goodvibes:

ETA: Quoted the wrong Mama! So sorry. :blush:

myfrugalfunlife
09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't live close to any of my family, so if they ordered from me (hypothetically), would I need to have it shipped to me and then turn around and ship it to them?

They can order directly from your website, which always ships directly to the customer via UPS. You could also manually enter their order to ship directly to them, (like if they called you), but then you have to get payment from them somehow. If they order from your website it does it all for you :)

P!nkPepper
09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I talked to my husband about selling once he is out of the Army & we move home. He said no. Apparently he thinks it is frivilous & nobody in Ohio can afford it because the economy is bad. He won't listen to me about it at all now. :cry: but apparently his dream of selling tricked out custom cars is more attainable.

I hope all you new sales mamas do great! Good luck. :hugs:

myfrugalfunlife
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I talked to my husband about selling once he is out of the Army & we move home. He said no. Apparently he thinks it is frivilous & nobody in Ohio can afford it because the economy is bad. He won't listen to me about it at all now. :cry: but apparently his dream of selling tricked out custom cars is more attainable.

I'm in MI, which has one of the highest unemployment rates in country. I've had no problems selling it-every single person that I've had smell the testers, has placed at least one order so far (and in a couple cases they've placed several orders lol). That's one of the great things about the products-the warmers aren't too expensive, and the bars are only $5 each.

CherryPie
09-16-2011, 08:33 PM

:hugs:

P!nkPepper
09-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm in MI, which has one of the highest unemployment rates in country. I've had no problems selling it-every single person that I've had smell the testers, has placed at least one order so far (and in a couple cases they've placed several orders lol). That's one of the great things about the products-the warmers aren't too expensive, and the bars are only $5 each.

I tried to tell him that but he won't hear it. Apparently I know nothing. I can hope he will change his mind but he usually doesn't.

P!nkPepper
09-16-2011, 08:38 PM
:hugs:

Thanks. His attitude won't change the fact that I love Scentsy. I will just have to promote it for free, lol.

leesburgfam
09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I sell Thirty One. I like Scentsy products but have never gone to a "party"....what happens at a Scentsy party? Can I do a catalog party? If so, do any of you Scentsy ladies want to do a "party swap" ? I will do one for you and you do one for me! That way I can earn free Scentsy and you can earn free Thirty One! :-) PM me.

myfrugalfunlife
09-17-2011, 06:52 AM
I sell Thirty One. I like Scentsy products but have never gone to a "party"....what happens at a Scentsy party? Can I do a catalog party? If so, do any of you Scentsy ladies want to do a "party swap" ? I will do one for you and you do one for me! That way I can earn free Scentsy and you can earn free Thirty One! :-) PM me.

There's three party options with Scentsy-online, home, and basket.
Online-you get a link to your party on the consultants website, and then direct people to go there to browse/buy
Home-you have a hostess open up her house to you, and invites guests. You then give a brief overview of what Scentsy is and then the guests pass around 80 scented testers. This can also be done open house style (this is what I did for my launch party-had two display tables set up and then just talked very casually about Scentsy when people stopped by-even had kids come!).
Basket Party-this is where you put the testers, order forms, and catalogs into a tote bag (many consultants use Thirty One bags :) ), and then give them to the hostess to take for a few days and pass around at work, amongst friends etc. Then the tote is returned with orders/payments. I've got my second one going right now, and my hostess is bringing the tote to a big family get together this weekend.

And normally I'd love to swap parties, but I've already committed to doing something similar with a friend and Tupperware. So right now isn't a good time-but maybe later?

lecialefty
09-17-2011, 11:50 AM
If you do decide to join, LMK if you want into the TN FB group I created for TN consultants :)

Thanks for letting me know. :) I'm sure dh will like it too, he likes candles as much as I do. :giggle:

Just2fornow
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I didnt' have a chance to read all the responses but I just wanted to chime in that Scentsy is a WONDERFUL company to work for! They are local here (Meridian Idaho) and they do SO much to help our community. They are currently sponsoring a "Teeter totter a thon" to support 7 local children's charities. :) I love them and their products!!!

mamaerica
09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I signed up to be a consultant based on this thread alone :blush:

I'm super excited - I've been totally addicted to Scentsy for about a year now.

Fishie Kisses
09-17-2011, 11:18 PM

I am doing the same...also based on this thread!

leesburgfam
09-18-2011, 04:26 AM
So, excited for all you mama's that have taken the plunge! I do not sell Scentsy, but I am in direct sales and it has been a good experience. I enjoy the little extra money but it has also forced me to grow personally and that has been a blessing. Good Luck!

myfrugalfunlife
09-18-2011, 06:29 AM
I didnt' have a chance to read all the responses but I just wanted to chime in that Scentsy is a WONDERFUL company to work for! They are local here (Meridian Idaho) and they do SO much to help our community. They are currently sponsoring a "Teeter totter a thon" to support 7 local children's charities. :) I love them and their products!!!
Thanks for the input-it's good to hear from someone who actually lives by their headquarters, what kind of company they are :)

I am doing the same...also based on this thread!
:yay:
Ask your sponsor, (who you signed up under), about the Scentsy forum, which is just for Scentsy consultants. I've gotten lots of great info from it, and it's a great place to get support from other consultants :)

mama2jack
09-18-2011, 08:29 AM
I signed up last wednesday and am impatiently waiting my starter kit. I can't WAIT to smell all the yummy scents.
I do have my website set up and my launch party scheduled, + a couple of people wanting to do basket parties. And I logged onto my workstation this am to find I made my first sale on my website YAY! Just had to share w/someone since I havn't got the email to log onto the scentsy forums yet.

I AM a little worried since my sponsor is out of state. She is a ds mama I am friends w/ on FB but I can't remember which DS mama she is :blush:

CherryPie
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM
We are a supportive bunch so if you can't get in touch with your sponsor, there are plenty of other consultants that would be glad to help (myself included).

mama2jack
09-18-2011, 01:07 PM
We are a supportive bunch so if you can't get in touch with your sponsor, there are plenty of other consultants that would be glad to help (myself included).

Thanks I really appreciate that. I think she is pretty new to scentsy too. We have a fb group that I think has her sponsor in it but I feel like I am posting alot of ?'s there.

leeuhhh
09-18-2011, 06:07 PM
i just signed up for barefoot books, but i think i want to start scentsy too next summer. i dont have the start up money right now :( . i love scentsy!

cassmartinez
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm seriously thinking about selling scentsy. I'd be something I totally do on the side but I love scentsy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum sorry for any 'autocorrect' goofs

myfrugalfunlife
09-18-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm seriously thinking about selling scentsy. I'd be something I totally do on the side but I love scentsy.

That's how I went into it-I just wanted to get my own Scentsy stuff for cheaper :giggle: But, when I got my starter kit I got really excited about it, and decided to have a launch party (open house style and super casual). That's led to several customers (some have already placed multiple orders), and a couple basket parties. And I've got a few things lined up for the fall already, so I'm doing pretty well for something I wanted to do super casual!

cassmartinez
09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
That's how I went into it-I just wanted to get my own Scentsy stuff for cheaper :giggle: But, when I got my starter kit I got really excited about it, and decided to have a launch party (open house style and super casual). That's led to several customers (some have already placed multiple orders), and a couple basket parties :) And I've got a few things lined up for the fall already, so I'm doing pretty well for something I wanted to do super casual :)

I'd have to work hard and make back the startup money pretty quick to feel good about it although with Christmas coming up that wouldn't be hard. I'd LOVe getting the discount and staying on top of new scents. Speaking of that, when new scents come out do they send you testers or do you buy testers or how does that work?

CherryPie
09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Speaking of that, when new scents come out do they send you testers or do you buy testers or how does that work?

You can buy what they call a "transition set" which includes just the new scents and they discount it 10% off during the month before the new stuff goes live. They also discount the new catalogs 10% off too during this time.

I actually got two sets of the minitester transition sets and the party tester transition sets since me and my husband went to convention (among tons of other free stuff we both got!)

mamaerica
09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd have to work hard and make back the startup money pretty quick to feel good about it although with Christmas coming up that wouldn't be hard. I'd LOVe getting the discount and staying on top of new scents. Speaking of that, when new scents come out do they send you testers or do you buy testers or how does that work?Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum sorry for any 'autocorrect' goofs

I'm curious about the bolded, too.

And honestly, I just signed up as a consultant with the idea to be really casual with it. I know that I have some friends and family who will buy occassionally, but I'm not really wanting to go out and sell, sell, sell - it's just not in my nature! But just knowing that I'll get a bit of a discount on stuff I buy for myself is good enough for me! :mrgreen:

mamaerica
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM
You can buy what they call a "transition set" which includes just the new scents and they discount it 10% off during the month before the new stuff goes live. They also discount the new catalogs 10% off too during this time.

Thanks for the answer! Another question - do we have to buy new catalogs when they come out, and if yes, how much are they?

CherryPie
09-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the answer! Another question - do we have to buy new catalogs when they come out, and if yes, how much are they?

Yes you need to buy them and they are $16 for 50. I usually stock up during the months they are 10% off and that usually lasts me all 6 months. I also got free catalogs when I went to convention and I *think* when I went to Spring Sprint (or maybe I just got free BUY brochures...:headscratch:).

The catalogs can be found in the Scentsy Success Order section under your Order tab.

Has your sponsor linked you to the consultant-only forum? I loved it when I was new (and still do!)

cassmartinez
09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply! I don't know how to spring it on DH that I'm interested. It'd probably go well though, he LOVES it also

CherryPie
09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply! I don't know how to spring it on DH that I'm interested. It'd probably go well though, he LOVES it also

Good luck!

mamaerica
09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes you need to buy them and they are $16 for 50. I usually stock up during the months they are 10% off and that usually lasts me all 6 months. I also got free catalogs when I went to convention and I *think* when I went to Spring Sprint (or maybe I just got free BUY brochures...:headscratch:).

The catalogs can be found in the Scentsy Success Order section under your Order tab.

Has your sponsor linked you to the consultant-only forum? I loved it when I was new (and still do!)

I registered for the forum, but I'm waiting to be approved by the admin :)

myfrugalfunlife
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM

I actually got two sets of the minitester transition sets and the party tester transition sets since me and my husband went to convention (among tons of other free stuff we both got!)
I learned something new :mrgreen:

hsmjmommy
09-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I think I may be interested in signing up also, hmmm.....

mrscompgeek
09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

my husband is my biggest buyer!! LOL. He is all about his truck smelling good and every few weeks he is like, I need a new scent for the truck. He loves this stuff too.

myfrugalfunlife
09-19-2011, 07:41 AM
my husband is my biggest buyer!! LOL. He is all about his truck smelling good and every few weeks he is like, I need a new scent for the truck. He loves this stuff too.

My dh has warmed up to Scentsy as well (pun intended :giggle:). At first he was like 'this is a silly girl thing', but now he has his own warmer in his office that he turns on first thing in the morning lol!

Rockinmama24
09-19-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking of joining. I sold tupperware years ago & did fairly well. Does anyone do web based sales only? Is the commision the same as booked parties?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

IrishCowgirl
09-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm thinking of joining. I sold tupperware years ago & did fairly well. Does anyone do web based sales only? Is the commision the same as booked parties?

Most of mine are web based. I have friends throughout the country that do online parties. And the commission is the same. 20% up to 1000 total in sales, then 25%. Its really not bad. I enjoy it. Let me know if you're interested. :)

lecialefty
09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm going to order my starter kit today. :lostit:

IrishCowgirl
09-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Awesome! :) Its like Christmas when you get it :)

akhwbj1
09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
So excited I just ordered my starter kit!!!

myfrugalfunlife
09-20-2011, 05:28 AM

So excited I just ordered my starter kit!!!

You guys are going to love it :mrgreen:

mama2jack
09-20-2011, 03:05 PM

mine is supposed to be here tomorrow :yay:

crystalinnc
09-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I recently got the email about the reinstatement and the new policy. I LOVE this, and I am excited to be active again. My sister is my upline, and she has more time to devote to it. I just want to be able to do a little here and there without the stress of having to order a certain amount.

It really does sell itself! I hope to mostly do catalog and basket parties.

Rockinmama24
09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what you get in the starter kit & the shipping cost/time? I may have the money to order next week.

myfrugalfunlife
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what you get in the starter kit & the shipping cost/time? I may have the money to order next week.

-The starter kit is $99 plus shipping and sales tax (mine came to $114 total)
-I got my starter kit within a week. I have someone who just signed up this past weekend, and hers is scheduled to arrive Thursday.
-the starter kit includes:

2011 Scentsy Starter Kit
For just $99*, Scentsy will send you a Starter Kit that includes everything you need to run your Scentsy business
Scentsy Party Fragrance Testers

* 2011 Fall / Winter (15)
* Favorites (15)
* Scentsy Man (10)
* Romance (10)
* Spa (10)
* Corner Café (10)
* Seven Seas (10)

Demonstration Products

* Full-Size Scentsy Warmer (1)
* Scentsy Buddy (1)
* Scent Pak (1)
* Scentsy Bar (1)
* Room Spray (1)
* Fragrance Foam (1)
* Travel Tin (1)
* Scent Circle (1)
* Light Bulbs (4)

Business Supplies

* 2011 Fall / Winter Catalogs (50)
* Discover Scentsy DVD (1)
* New Consultant Start-Up Guide (1)
* Scentsy Planning Calendar (1)
* Planning Calendar Stickers (1 sheet)
* Business Cards (100)
* Invitations (100)
* Order Forms (100)
* Host Envelopes (5)
* Buy Brochures (25)
* Host Brochures (25)
* Join Brochures (25)
* Consultant Folder (1)
* Welcome Letter

lecialefty
09-20-2011, 07:30 PM

What she said about what comes in it. Mine was about $120 with shipping. Ordered yesterday, got a call today that it was going out in the mail and should be here in 3 business days. :D

AmberP
09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
When it comes time to order new scent testers, how much do they cost?

I have been thinking about selling since I got my warmer last Christmas, I am just afraid I won't make enough to recoup my costs, kwim?

CherryPie
09-20-2011, 07:57 PM

I have been thinking about selling since I got my warmer last Christmas, I am just afraid I won't make enough to recoup my costs, kwim?

You can order the transition set and it is discounted the month prior to the release of the new catalog by 10% off. Full-price it is $25 for the party testers and $7.50 for the minitesters. Some people just use minitesters even for home parties.

myfrugalfunlife
09-20-2011, 07:57 PM

The transition tester set (fall/winter 2011) is $25. I'm assuming spring/summer 2012 will be similarly priced :)

Also-the demonstration things you get in your starter kit are worth around what you're paying for the kit. Worst case scenario you don't stick with it, and give the things you get as gifts (or keep for yourself lol). You get a full sized warmer, Scentsy buddy etc. I'm actually giving the Scentsy Buddy that came in my starter kit, to my niece for her b-day. It's Penny the Pig, and my nieces' name is Penelope, or Penny :mrgreen:

cassmartinez
09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=myfrugalfunlife;13790691'm actually giving the Scentsy Buddy that came in my starter kit, to my niece for her b-day. It's Penny the Pig, and my nieces' name is Penelope, or Penny :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]
Aww cute!
BTW how do you like the marshmallow pumpkin? Sounds yummy!

mrscompgeek
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Aww cute!

It smells amazing!!! :drif:

myfrugalfunlife
09-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Aww cute!

I like it-though to me it smells like caramel instead of a strong pumpkin scent? Caramel is yummy too though, so it's all good :giggle:

CherryPie
09-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I had a customer buy 4 bars and a room spray of the Pumpkin Marshmallow the other day :giggle:

myfrugalfunlife
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I had a customer buy 4 bars and a room spray of the Pumpkin Marshmallow the other day :giggle:

my bil is going back and forth between the pumpkin marshmallow and the pumpkin roll-he want's to buy a brick of one of them (I've gently suggested getting one of each :giggle: )

phridae
09-22-2011, 02:18 AM
I loooove the pumpkin marshmallow one! I have 3 bars, haha!

using my iPod. Watch out for inappropriate typos!

lecialefty
09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
I got my box yesterday. :D We were leaving to go to the il's and I opened the door, apparently gasped really big and scared dh who was right behind me. :roflmbo: I didn't know it had come. And of course I had to open it and take some stuff with me. Surprisingly there's only a few of the scents that I don't like at all. Most of them are yummy. :drif: I've booked a party with my mom and mil said she would probably do one for me too. :yay:

Thanks for talking me into it everybody! :grouphug:

charise820
09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
congrats.

jcalumna
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
What made you decide to be a consultant?

AmberP
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Is the pumpkin roll scent really great? I have cinnamon roll and it smells like fake cinnamon potpourri instead (imo).

lecialefty
09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Just from my tester, don't have a bar to try, pumpkin roll smells good to me, more cinnamon with a hint of pumpkin. I want some to try though.

Bekki
09-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Whoo my starter kit came! DD and I had a fun time smelling all of the testers (plus it was a great way to drill her on colors!)

myfrugalfunlife
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Whoo my starter kit came! DD and I had a fun time smelling all of the testers (plus it was a great way to drill her on colors!)

love it :mrgreen:

Bekki
09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
love it :mrgreen:

I'm hoping to have a party here at my house sometime next month. :) I just have to sit down and learn more about the product. I didn't get to go through my WHOLE box just yet - is there some kind of training book in the box or online?

Whoo I'm getting excited. :) I'm not going to get rich off of this stuff, but I'm sure I'll be able to make a few bucks - and my house will smell *awesome*.

My only real problem is picking scents!!! There are so many! I'll have to get one for each room and each hallway! LOL

myfrugalfunlife
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm hoping to have a party here at my house sometime next month. :) I just have to sit down and learn more about the product. I didn't get to go through my WHOLE box just yet - is there some kind of training book in the box or online?

Whoo I'm getting excited. :) I'm not going to get rich off of this stuff, but I'm sure I'll be able to make a few bucks - and my house will smell *awesome*.

My only real problem is picking scents!!! There are so many! I'll have to get one for each room and each hallway! LOL

There should be a Get Started manual that came with your kit-this has lots of info in it, but it is overwhelming so I'd skim it now, and then slowly read through it more in-depth (I'm doing this right now myself). There's also a lot of training/resources in your online workstation. Also-did you get the email I sent you a few days ago? It should have included a link to the Scentsy consultant forum, where there's lots of great ideas (there's sections on how to host a party etc). If you didn't get that email pm me-I may have entered you email address wrong.

lecialefty
09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah the forum and your workstation each have a ton of information in them. :)

mrscompgeek
09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Is the pumpkin roll scent really great? I have cinnamon roll and it smells like fake cinnamon potpourri instead (imo).

I like the pumpkin roll. Smells like fall to me.

phridae
09-23-2011, 02:41 AM
I signed up ...yesterday. =D
I'm really excited to get everything.

One question. Whats the starting commission rate? I thought it was 20%, but another friend told me it was 10%??

myfrugalfunlife
09-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I signed up ...yesterday. =D
I'm really excited to get everything.

One question. Whats the starting commission rate? I thought it was 20%, but another friend told me it was 10%??

It's 20% to start, and once you hit a total of $1,000 in sales it gets bumped up to 25% I'm like $60 away from hitting that $1,000 mark :lostit:

cassmartinez
09-23-2011, 06:12 AM
It's 20% to start, and once you hit a total of $1,000 in sales it gets bumped up to 25% I'm like $60 away from hitting that $1,000 mark :lostit:
How long have you been selling?

myfrugalfunlife
09-23-2011, 06:45 AM
How long have you been selling?

I signed up August 1st, had my launch party on August 20th, and placed my first order that night :) So far I've had my launch party (it was open house style), two basket parties, and then a few individual orders. It adds up fast!

lecialefty
09-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Sweet! I have a party scheduled with my mom next week, then in November I got invited to do an open house with 31, Avon, Premier Jewelry, and maybe Mary Kay. I'm hoping I can do really well with it. :D I showed my aunts last night and they were all pretty excited about it.

phridae
09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks! The friend I was talking to started selling back in April and only got 10%, so maybe things changed since then.

mrscompgeek
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks! The friend I was talking to started selling back in April and only got 10%, so maybe things changed since then.

I have been selling since January and I got 20% from January til I reached the $1,000 in July. . :headscratch: