PDA

View Full Version : Organization furniture/methods for children's rooms?

swedishmaiden
09-16-2011, 04:48 PM
I have one DD and a baby due next month. I've been trying to de-clutter quite a bit in preparation for the baby's arrival to help with clean up. Right now, DD has a crib, dresser, and cube shelf. All toys go in the cube shelf along with stuffed animals, blankets, etc. There is one plastic sterilite drawer in the closet with stuff for the baby - cloth diapers, nursing pads, etc. The top of her closet is filled with "too young yet" toys (coloring stuff, wooden puzzles that are too difficult for her, etc). I'm working on cutting that down.

My FIL wants to get DD something for her second birthday (last weekend...but he always forgets ;) ) and DH and I can't think of anything she needs. I don't want more toys. We bought a used toy kitchen on Craigslist recently for the play area in our living room and I just don't want to add anymore toys. I'm trying to subtract, not add.

So I thought, is there some minimalist/organizational item I could put in her room to help store things? Do you have any favorite types of shelves or some kind of closet storage?

Sorry if this question is kind of vague; I'm just trying to come up with a birthday gift option that I won't give to Goodwill sometime in the next year, lol. DH suggested a toy box, but she already has the canvas bins for her cube shelf and I'm afraid a toy box would just invite a big mess of toys.

AfWife8405
09-16-2011, 05:12 PM
If you definitely do not want to add anything in the house, you could ask for a membership to the zoo or aquarium in your area. If you just don't want toys, what about CDs of children's music? Or perhaps something decorative for her room, like her name spelled out in those wood letters you can decorate and hang on the wall.

jessica377
09-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I try to be a minimalist, but I think kids should be surrounded with books, so I would probably ask for a cute bookshelf.

amcess721
09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
A bookshelf is a great idea... what about one of those ones that allows the fronts of the books to face out so the kid can see the covers? Then every week or so you can switch which ones are on display so she can see a variety.

shimsheree
09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
We have one if those wooden bookshelves where the books hang in cloth and they face out and I love it in ds's room. He has a bookshelf with canvas bins full of books too, but the ones be reads the most are the ones on the hanging shelf, I think because he can see the books so easily. The wood is a light wood color and we got it from target online. I wish I had one for dd's room and our playroom too! :p.

moonlightblonde
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
We have one if those wooden bookshelves where the books hang in cloth and they face out and I love it in ds's room. He has a bookshelf with canvas bins full of books too, but the ones be reads the most are the ones on the hanging shelf, I think because he can see the books so easily. The wood is a light wood color and we got it from target online. I wish I had one for dd's room and our playroom too! :p.

This is what we have and LOVE it.

hibiscus869
09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
My favorite thing for closets are hanging organizers, particularly the type that are for sweaters, because they are the biggest. You can get them in 6 or 8 shelves and they just hook on to the rail. IKEA sells them very cheap. I use these instead of drawers, we actually don't have any furniture in our rooms for holding clothes, we just maximize all the space in the closets by using hanging organizers and it frees up so much room. I started doing this in college because we simply had no money to buy furniture but we've continued doing it because it frees up room and it's also less furniture to lug if you move. I use a hanging sweater organizer for my cloth diapers. (I can't send any pics because I dropped my camera a few days ago and it's broken and I haven't gotten it fixed yet).

I'm also a big fan of rubbermaid bins for the closet. I take off the lids and turn the bins to the side so they are open and use them as shelves also by stacking them on top of ech other. This is good if you already have a bunch of bins around, although the closet organizers have the tidiest appearance.

Fashionably Green Baby
09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Yep the hanging shelf/cube organizer things! We use them for the kids clothes.

ellaphen
09-27-2011, 07:52 AM
If you will be moving her to a big girl bed next year, have you could considered buying a bed with drawers / storage? This saved a TON of space in my DS's room. I found it on craigslist for less than $100! They usually don't need a box spring, so that would save money as well. The head board has storage as well, so he can arrange his stuffed animals there. There's even a "cubby hole" below the bed, in the back, behind the drawers, where I store out of season clothes
One of the twin beds in our guest room has a trundle bed and drawers below. We can pull it out for an extra guest, and they can also (potentially) store their things while they visit..... It's currently full of books atm.

mookie
09-27-2011, 09:27 AM
If you definitely do not want to add anything in the house, you could ask for a membership to the zoo or aquarium in your area.
:yeahthat: I'm a huge fan of experiences instead of stuff!

hezdwoody
09-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I like the experiences idea, a day at monkey joes or something like that.

I actually find the more organizational things I buy the less minimalist I become because those things just collect more stuff and give things a place to hide.

Fashionably Green Baby
09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I like the experiences idea, a day at monkey joes or something like that.

I actually find the more organizational things I buy the less minimalist I become because those things just collect more stuff and give things a place to hide.

DING DING DING!!!! This is absolutely my experience. I am getting rid of so many "organizational things" that are no longer needed now that I have less crap :giggle: The thing that sucks is how much money I spent on all of those things. Oh well, when you know better, you do better!