PDA

View Full Version : How do you scent your homemade laundry detergent?

alexandrapasko
10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
What do you use to scent your homemade powdered laundry detergent? Any solutions other than using scented soap?

Naturally Wise
10-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Add in essential oils or a shot of a scented liquid soap by Dr. Bronner's, unless it's for diapers since soap can make dipes repel. You can also use scented dryer balls or add eo to a wash cloth and put in the dryer like you would a dryer sheet to help scent your clothes.

syfitz
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I add EO or fragrance oils to it. Sometimes I add half a small bottle of store bought detergent to my homemade batch. Most store bought detergent is much too heavily scented for me anyway, so adding it to homemade dilutes the scent to the perfect level for me (it also makes the consistency of the homemade better....more smooth, less clumpy)
You can also scent your clothes by using liquid fabric softener. Take a bucket and add equal parts fabric softener and water. Cut a kitchen sponge in half and store them soaking in the bucket. When you put clothes in the dryer, wring out half a sponge and toss it in. It acts like a dryer sheet, but much cheaper. A bucket of that mixture lasts FOREVER. I only use this in the winter to cut down static, but I've had the same bucket of solution for a couple of years.

OurAllenBaby
10-23-2011, 12:22 PM
When I use homemade I didn't scent it, instead I used a scented fabric softener or dyer sheet to get fragrance on the cloths if I wanted scent.

I've heard you can soak sponge in diluted fabric softener and then toss it in the dyer with the clothing.

alexandrapasko
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Add in essential oils or a shot of a scented liquid soap by Dr. Bronner's, unless it's for diapers since soap can make dipes repel.

The detergent recipe I made (but haven't used yet) has soap in it. Do you use a different recipe for your diapers?

alexandrapasko
10-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Take a bucket and add equal parts fabric softener and water. Cut a kitchen sponge in half and store them soaking in the bucket. When you put clothes in the dryer, wring out half a sponge and toss it in. It acts like a dryer sheet, but much cheaper.

Have you ever had staining from the fabric softener?

OurAllenBaby
10-23-2011, 01:22 PM
For my diapers I still use homemade detergent - I use equal parts of borax and washing soda and then add in 1/2 part of Sun brand generic oxiclean. I occasionally add in the tiniest squit of dawn into the wash water.

angelapangela
10-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Lavender oil.

TinaDeanette
10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
The detergent recipe I made (but haven't used yet) has soap in it. Do you use a different recipe for your diapers?

I use it on dipes with no problems!

Sent from my DH's Ally!

syfitz
10-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Have you ever had staining from the fabric softener?

Nope. You wring it out, so it's just a damp sponge. It's also diluted quite a bit, maybe that is the reason to dilute it...
Anyway, like I said, I have done that for a couple of years during the months our heat is on and never had a problem. It keeps down the static and makes the clothes smell nice. :)

alexandrapasko
10-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone!

judesmommie
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I add EO or fragrance oils to it. Sometimes I add half a small bottle of store bought detergent to my homemade batch. Most store bought detergent is much too heavily scented for me anyway, so adding it to homemade dilutes the scent to the perfect level for me (it also makes the consistency of the homemade better....more smooth, less clumpy)
You can also scent your clothes by using liquid fabric softener. Take a bucket and add equal parts fabric softener and water. Cut a kitchen sponge in half and store them soaking in the bucket. When you put clothes in the dryer, wring out half a sponge and toss it in. It acts like a dryer sheet, but much cheaper. A bucket of that mixture lasts FOREVER. I only use this in the winter to cut down static, but I've had the same bucket of solution for a couple of years.

What liquid softener do you use??

kocho
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I use JJ Buddy bars as the soap in mine so it has a bit of a baby smell. I'm almost out of those though, so I'll have to decide what to do next.