PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for homeade wool wash?

craftymomto5
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I am new to using wool but would like to make my own wool wash instead of buying it. Does anyone have any recipes for one/ A DS momma gave me some lavender eucalan but it smells too much like our dogs flea shampoo.:yuck: Where can I get some good essential oils too? :lostit:

janendragon
04-14-2007, 03:38 PM
i use a little of my fav conditioner..... its always made my wool super soft!

craftymomto5
04-14-2007, 05:39 PM
:bumpsign:

serinat
04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I use a squirt of Dr. Bronners (vegetable castile soap) to wash my wool covers.

To lanolize, I squeeze a 1/2" tube of lanolin into a cup of hot (almost boiling water) to dissolve. Adding a bit of Bronner's or baby shampoo to the cup will help disperse the lanoline throughout the liquid. Add this cup of solution to a tub or sink of cold water, and add your covers. Let them sit 10 minutes before draining.

cotton_jmb
04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
:popcorn:

susansabrina
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM

To lanolize, I squeeze a 1/2" tube of lanolin into a cup of hot (almost boiling water) to dissolve. Adding a bit of Bronner's or baby shampoo to the cup will help disperse the lanoline throughout the liquid. Add this cup of solution to a tub or sink of cold water, and add your covers. Let them sit 10 minutes before draining.

That sounds great. I make my own soap but I was afraid to use it to wash diapers and I guess just never thought about it for wool.

crunchymomma
04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I use ivory soap bars (plain white ones). Cheap and they work GREAT.

attachmom
04-27-2007, 09:12 AM

When you use Dr. Bronners to wash your wool, do you need to rinse it after washing?
Thanks!

kocho
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM

I'm so glad I read this!! I looked at the lanolizing threads and was still confused. Thanks for the nice simple instructions!!

BabyBums
04-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I've alway just used the recipe on the fern and faerie site.

http://fernandfaerie.com/woolwash.html

Seems to work good for us.

soulyluna
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
i want something yummy delicious like i've used from Naturally Luxe (http://hyenacart.com/naturallyluxe/). Anyone have ideas for how something like that can happen? It's wool wash on another galaxy....

BNC
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
i want something yummy delicious like i've used from Naturally Luxe (http://hyenacart.com/naturallyluxe/). Anyone have ideas for how something like that can happen? It's wool wash on another galaxy....

Thats basically just 50% liquid lanolin and 50% liquid soap (sounds like a castile based on her description). Then she probably adds some EO's/FO's to the mix for scent.

You can buy organic liquid lanolin and organic castile liquid soap to make a replica or you can use whatever you have on hand.

februarymom
02-24-2009, 10:49 AM
baby shampoo and lanolin dissolved in boiling water. easy squeezy :)

cassieJJ
02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I have been wondering this too, I make my own laundry detergent so it seems like a wast to buy detergent just for wool. I'm definitely going to try the baby shampoo, lanolin, boiling water mixture! So I know this is a dumb question, but do you guys still add extra lanolin to the water to lanolize?

Thanks for asking!

soulyluna
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
NO question's a dumb question. generally, i don't ad more lanolin. i just wash more frequently because i love the ritual, the smell of scented wool wash, and shiny clean wool ;)

Trista
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Thats basically just 50% liquid lanolin and 50% liquid soap (sounds like a castile based on her description). Then she probably adds some EO's/FO's to the mix for scent.

You can buy organic liquid lanolin and organic castile liquid soap to make a replica or you can use whatever you have on hand.

For a NL replica, it won't be quite that simple b/c Whitney doesn't use castile soap, or premade soap at all. Hers is made by hand from scratch.

That's why it is sooooo yummy!

burgler
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Do folks rinse the diapers after the soap wash?

mkbdvm
11-26-2010, 10:57 PM
My wool wash instructions say to rinse after. HTH!