PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing and Gross :)

LnzsOut
11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Hopefully this isn't TOO gross :) It seems a little, well a LOT, early for this, but is anyone else leaking a little pee when they cough, laugh, etc? lol. Sad - I'm not quite 17 weeks yet, and this has been going on for at least a week. I've had a little cough for a few days, and I have had to switch from panty liners to pads. Today I got my sleeping DS out his carseat, and I almost had a major accident... not fun. Funny maybe (at least DH thinks so!), but not fun. I had a problem with this right after DS was born, then again when I started running again after he was born. I hope this doesn't last throughout the pregnancy!!

SeaChellsRun
11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
:roflmbo: I'm only laughing because 1. I couldn't even get past the second sentence without needing to respond and 2. It happened to me yesterday!!

It also started happening to me when I started stroller strides months ago, I couldn't jump up and down because I'd need to run to the bathroom. Yesterday I sneezed or coughed while DH was in the middle of telling me something really important to him, I felt so bad I had to cut him off and run to the bathroom. Didn't tell him what had happened though, he would make fun of me. I wasn't expecting this until waaaaay later in the pregnancy or after birth. Guess we need to do our kegels!

Hopefully this isn't TOO gross :) It seems a little, well a LOT, early for this, but is anyone else leaking a little pee when they cough, laugh, etc? lol. Sad - I'm not quite 17 weeks yet, and this has been going on for at least a week. I've had a little cough for a few days, and I have had to switch from panty liners to pads. Today I got my sleeping DS out his carseat, and I almost had a major accident... not fun. Funny maybe (at least DH thinks so!), but not fun. I had a problem with this right after DS was born, then again when I started running again after he was born. I hope this doesn't last throughout the pregnancy!!

love_cloth
11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Just a FYI, I have read recently that squats are more effective at strengthening pelvic/bladder. Kegals actual make situation worse. Sorry I don't have a specific link.

SeaChellsRun
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Just a FYI, I have read recently that squats are more effective at strengthening pelvic/bladder. Kegals actual make situation worse. Sorry I don't have a specific link.

ooo good to know I like squats much better

SeaChellsRun
11-08-2011, 05:28 PM

I of course had to do my research...

A kegel attempts to strengthen the PF, but it really only continues to pull the sacrum inward promoting even more weakness, and more PF gripping. The muscles that balance out the anterior pull on the sacrum are the glutes. A lack of glutes (having no butt) is what makes this group so much more susceptible to PFD. Zero lumbar curvature (missing the little curve at the small of the back) is the most telling sign that the PF is beginning to weaken. Deep, regular squats (pictured in hunter-gathering mama) create the posterior pull on the sacrum. Peeing like this in the shower is a great daily practice, as is relaxing the PF muscles to make sure that you're not squeezing the bathroom muscle closers too tight. Just close them enough...An easier way to say this is: Weak glutes + too many Kegels = PFD.
http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

I have to say that this reminds me of one of the both awful things anyone said to me during pregnancy/early motherhood and that was from my midwife. Fortunately I had two midwives and this one did not attend the birth. However, she did check my dilation and was rude and gave me a womanly exam a couple weeks after birth. She checked me and said that It (my vagina) should be tighter and I need to work more on that. I don't think I was even 2 weeks post birth yet, I was mortified she told me such a thing and now it turns out kegels suck and so does she!!!

I have a really hard time doing this hunter-gathering folks squat, not because lacking in strength, but the backs of my calves are too tight to get all the way down. Guess I'm going to have to work on that. Thanks for mentioning it!

allisonmartin
11-08-2011, 05:31 PM

I read this too. I had a lot of leaking my whole pregnancy with DS. I don't know if it's because I've been doing squats or just because this pregnancy is different but I've had less leaking this time. I always felt like the kegels didn't help me much either.

love_cloth
11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I of course had to do my research...

A kegel attempts to strengthen the PF, but it really only continues to pull the sacrum inward promoting even more weakness, and more PF gripping. The muscles that balance out the anterior pull on the sacrum are the glutes. A lack of glutes (having no butt) is what makes this group so much more susceptible to PFD. Zero lumbar curvature (missing the little curve at the small of the back) is the most telling sign that the PF is beginning to weaken. Deep, regular squats (pictured in hunter-gathering mama) create the posterior pull on the sacrum. Peeing like this in the shower is a great daily practice, as is relaxing the PF muscles to make sure that you're not squeezing the bathroom muscle closers too tight. Just close them enough...An easier way to say this is: Weak glutes + too many Kegels = PFD.
http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

I have to say that this reminds me of one of the both awful things anyone said to me during pregnancy/early motherhood and that was from my midwife. Fortunately I had two midwives and this one did not attend the birth. However, she did check my dilation and was rude and gave me a womanly exam a couple weeks after birth. She checked me and said that It (my vagina) should be tighter and I need to work more on that. I don't think I was even 2 weeks post birth yet, I was mortified she told me such a thing and now it turns out kegels suck and so does she!!!

I have a really hard time doing this hunter-gathering folks squat, not because lacking in strength, but the backs of my calves are too tight to get all the way down. Guess I'm going to have to work on that. Thanks for mentioning it!

Thanks for doing the research & posting!!!!

chayla
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I will have to read Chells post later but holy crap, this happened to me the other day. I sneezed and I was like "oh no, what???" I was on my way to the bathroom in the morning so I think that is why it was so noticeable. Anyways, I also HATE kegals, could never get the hang of it ;) Hopefully squats work, I can do those!

ReadingRenee
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes sneezing!!! eek! Never happened to me with other pregnancies! Guess I better get on those squats! Thanks for posting the research Chelly that is fascinating. :)

lydoomizelaine
11-08-2011, 08:20 PM
No leaking when I sneeze, cough or laugh yet but I literally wet my entire pants when I throw up :cry: I seriously have no control of it, ever.

CaliRoll
11-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Since my first babe, I leak when I sneeze. Panty liners are a must! I'd it even feels like I might maybe need to tinkle, I go, to avoid having a major accident should a sneezing fit start. Allergy season kills me. :(

LnzsOut
11-08-2011, 08:43 PM
It's awful!!!! :roflmao: Thanks for the advice on squats! I actually read that info about kegals on here a while back, so I haven't been doing them. I'm definitely going to start doing some squats. Not sure how I feel about peeing in the shower, but I guess that's better than peeing in my pants :)

MNclothdiaperin'Momma
11-09-2011, 07:18 AM
It's awful!!!! :roflmao: Thanks for the advice on squats! I actually read that info about kegals on here a while back, so I haven't been doing them. I'm definitely going to start doing some squats. Not sure how I feel about peeing in the shower, but I guess that's better than peeing in my pants :)

:roflmbo: I feel the same way...DH and I had a convo about this a while back. I told him to quick grab me a towel because I had to get out and pee, he was so confused why I didn't just go in the shower...Turns out a lot of people actually go in the shower. I may have to start squats as well since I have the "sneeze pees" sometimes too. :giggle2:

Tashena
11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for doing the research & posting!!!!

:yeahthat:

TOTALLY appreciate it! :hugs:

ETA - I cannot find a pic/tutorial on the squat that lady is referring to. :/

ReadingRenee
11-09-2011, 08:00 AM

I know! I googled hunter gatherer squat and got some images and a a few articles.

I tried it out last night and oh my goodness! a. I am REALLY out of shape at this point and b. I REALLY got a good stretch in the back of my thighs from it which is great. Im going to start doing it more. Everything I read said it really helps with labor and I am all for that.

SeaChellsRun
11-09-2011, 08:33 AM

I can't help myself :giggle: It's what I do most of my time at the computer.

Here's a picture plus a video of how to progress to doing the hunter squat. I'm pretty sure I'd fall over at this point, so here's 3 or 4 squats to do to prime the booty for the hunter squat.

Video:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-proper-squat-technique/

Tips:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-squat-properly/

mercyscreation
11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I've had major probs with this this preg. I'm only 15 wks and it's been happening for about 2ish weeks now. :banghead: BUT I think a big part of it is that my uterus may be sitting on my bladder because sometimes I feel the need to go pee and then go and it's only a tiny bit but I still feel "full" like I could go more but nothing will come out. It's not a UTI (I've had several). I do kegels but haven't done any squats yet...guess I'll have to add that to my list :)

ReadingRenee
11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey Ladies! I hope you have been doing your squats! I have been doing them since the beginning of this thread and I noticed yesterday that I have been sneezing for a few days now with no "accidents" :giggle: It also really helps stretch out my sore leg muscles that I always get when pregnant. Seriously it has made a really big difference for me.

crunch!910
11-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I sneezed and peed myself twice in one day. At home. Thank goodness. When I'm out of my home, I make sure I use bathroom very frequently, but at home, I keep thinking "Oh, I can hold it longer" and keep forgetting to go.... and then if I have to cough, sneeze, or something... I might have an accident. LOL!

BTW, my DH thinks it si hilarious! And will often TRY to get me to do something to pee my pants.

LnzsOut
11-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Glad those squats are working, Shelley!! I've just started doing them, so we'll see what happens. My "problem" is still in full swing, and maybe even worse! Sometimes I do it even when I've JUST peed... squat, squat, squat!

lj2blessed
11-16-2011, 12:19 PM
DDC (although I was an April 09 mama :loveit:) - invest in some good incontinence liners (not sure mama cloth will do). My fave was TENA, caught a few good sales at Walgreen's and they have coupons on their website.

TPLmommy
11-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Since my first babe, I leak when I sneeze. Panty liners are a must! I'd it even feels like I might maybe need to tinkle, I go, to avoid having a major accident should a sneezing fit start. Allergy season kills me. :(

Same here!!! I've been dying (aka sneezinh & peeing!) for 2 months now. :banghead:

TPLmommy
11-16-2011, 09:16 PM
BTW, my DH thinks it si hilarious! And will often TRY to get me to do something to pee my pants.

:yeahthat: Can't tell you how many times he's succeeded! :gonnagetit: Lol!

SeaChellsRun
11-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Haven't had any leaks at all since I started doing yoga and squats. :cheer:

amberof2
11-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Yes, sneezing, laughing really hard, coughing and it happened once when I totally wasn't expecting it - I've been doing cloth pads because I HATE the sposie ones and they give me the worst rashes EVER

ashleyandbaby2010
11-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Its happened to me like 3 times now. But not when I feel like I need to pee...weird! I'm definitely looking for the time for yoga, kinda hard when ds wants to climb all over me while I'm doing poses!

LnzsOut
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Its happened to me like 3 times now. But not when I feel like I need to pee...weird! I'm definitely looking for the time for yoga, kinda hard when ds wants to climb all over me while I'm doing poses!

My DS does the same thing. I tried to get him to do it with me... not a chance! This semester will be over in a couple of weeks, so naptime will become yoga time, sewing time, baby-prep time, and me time. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

I've been doing some squatting but not regular squats - lol. Either way, I'm not leaking as bad as I was a few weeks ago! Hoping it stays that way :)