PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Parvo puppy dilemma.

Nielsen6
11-21-2011, 12:16 PM
I am not one to air out too much of my dirty laundry on the internet, but I am in need of some major prayers and help right now. We got a new puppy on Monday last week and he was fine and dandy till Friday, I called the vet and he has progressivly gotten worse. My vet is leaving tomorrow morning for Arizona and no other vet will take him without me paying upfront costs, which I do not have. My husband has been unemployed since October 6th and we are litterally living off things we have pawned/sold and help from family. The puppy was free to us because a man had two litters at his house he needed to get family's for, he was not properly socialized but is not mean. The man we got him from offered to pay for vaccines and neuter. Now that he is sick though no one can afford the cost. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a puppy with parvo and nursed him/her back to health at home? Any homemade recipes are welcome. We really need all the help we can get and hope he makes it through. Thank you in advance.

~happy2Bamommy~
11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes.

I've done it several times at home. We have a current gal who came to us nearly dead and I've had several others as well we pulled through.I've done it for friends as well.

We use a medicine actually designed for goats w/ coccidiosis (spell?) along with activated charcoal and tons of acidophilus.

I'll get the name of the medicine we use.It should be at most feed stores

lauren_brooke
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Unsure of homemade remedies, but wanted to wish you luck! Do you have any low cost/free clinics in the area? We have some around here that might be able to help? Or maybe even a shelter could help? Some shelters have vets on staff... Fingers crossed for a healthy and speedy recovery!

I'm guessing you went to your vet and that's how you know it's parvo?? Just checking, as it could always be something else!

~happy2Bamommy~
11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
What stage is the pup at disease wise? Is he already loosing blood through the bowel?

We use Sulmet to treat with.

I also use a medical type clay mixed with the acidophilus if the bowel is passing blood. You do have to be careful giving the meds by mouth esp if it is a very small pup. It's easy to get it in their lungs.

~happy2Bamommy~
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html

Rockinmama24
11-21-2011, 12:45 PM
No advice just good wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

danigrace05
11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Could your vet give you a bag of fluids to run under the skin to take home? One of the vets I worked for would do that plus some other meds, for clients who couldn't afford the hospital stay.

BottomOfMyHearts
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Parvo is pretty deadly even with treatment most the time, sorry!

phobiafied
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
When I was young our family puppy came down with parvo as well, and we were unfortunately so very poor that taking him to the vet was not really an option. My father was totally heartbroken and through a lot of searching and talking to people he heard that activated charcoal tablets would cure a dog of parvo. We bought them (pretty sure you can find them at like a walgreens) and my dog had a speedy recovery from being pretty much at death's door.

Here (http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/parvo.html#AC) is a link with some stories of other people who have used them to cure their dogs. It's maybe not the best link, but it's what a quick google search brought me. :)

Seems like the easiest thing (if you decide to try this) is to mix the contents of the tabs into water or broth and the dog will be able to keep it down. Praying for your puppy! Hope he gets better!

Sarawithouth
11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
We lost a baby puppy to parvo :-( so No advice except keep him hydrated as much as possible...

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Nielsen6
11-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Update: I brought him home from the vet, he is doing OK considering. He still has interest in drinking water. He has had a series of antibiotics and vitamin K. Right now it's really up to him and his will to live and our monitoring him. He's been drooling a lot, vomiting is his main problem as well as diarrhea. I really hope he makes it, he is so very sweet and I hate to see him in pain. Thank you for the well wishes.

Kriket
11-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Parvo is pretty deadly even with treatment most the time, sorry!

sorry, this has been my experience too :(

best wishes to the fur ball, it's not unheard of to recover :)

larken
11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
When we were younger my brother's beagle puppy had parvo. My mom would give her Gatorade/Pedialyte type drinks with a syringe & I remember that we fed her a ton of eggs. My mom's bf at the time owned a kennel & everyone who came to the office told us how she was going to die & to just "put her out of her misery" or to "take her out back." :yuck: She pulled through after a few rough weeks! She was always pretty tiny, but she didn't seem to suffer in any other way. I hope your furbaby comes through it okay :hugs:

qsefthuko
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
We used puppy formula reconstituted with plain generic pedialyte. Our puppy pulled through he had blood in his stool and was vomiting and refusing to eat or drink. We used a syringe to feed him as he refused to eat or drink unless forced. He did pull through after a lot of effort. We kept him on the formula until he gained strength back reintroducing solids slowly.

Nielsen6
11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you to all for the advice, unfortunately Moose passed away at 8:24pm. We believe that he had more internal damage then first thought. He will be missed, and buried underneath our maple tree.

yomama
11-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you to all for the advice, unfortunately Moose passed away at 8:24pm. We believe that he had more internal damage then first thought. He will be missed, and buried underneath our maple tree.

So sorry, mama! :hugs:

Kriket
11-22-2011, 05:35 AM
so sorry :( poor little guy. I hate that they get parvo when they are so young :sadno: there is very little you can do. At least he was comfortable with a family that loved him!

knodceo
11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
So sorry for your loss. The loss of a dog is devastating!

ducky5306
11-22-2011, 05:59 AM
I worked in a vets office where the parvo puppies were quarantined. We have to step in bleach when we went in and out of the room and wear an extra gown. And really wash... I hope you are keeping the puppy away from your kids. Hoping the home remedies work.

Humans can't get parvo from dogs. I was exposed to fifths disease which is the human form of Parvo and everything I read said it can not ve transferred from human animal or from animal to human its a different form of the same virus.

Sent from my EVO 4G using DS Forum

tygr2410
11-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Sorry for your families loss :hugs:

Pp from the kennel-it's likely you did the so not to affect the other animals ;)

danigrace05
11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Sorry for your families loss :hugs:

Pp from the kennel-it's likely you did the so not to affect the other animals ;)

Yes, this.

OP-You did a very kind thing for Moose. :hugs:

larken
11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
:hugs: so sorry for your family :(

phobiafied
11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I am so so sorry :hugs:

lauren_brooke
11-22-2011, 01:04 PM
So sorry for your loss :( :hugs:

04liquidS
11-22-2011, 01:11 PM
So sorry for your loss. Parvo is usually very head to heal from, even with vet care. I think you should consider not getting another pet until you are in a better place financially mama. I think it would be heart breaking to have to make another decision like this in the future.