PDA

View Full Version : Success...and questions

Reagansmama
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
So, I've been very part time ECing DD2 since a few weeks old. We had some great catches in the beginning, but DH was not really on board, and it was hard with DD1 running around (age 2), and then I went back to work part-time. But in the past 10 days things have suddenly started again really good. She is sitting up well so now I have her sit on our Baby Bjorn potty, and she loves it. I started actually with catching 3 poops in one day 2 days before christmas! Yeah! It was so great to not clean poopy diapers! We've also caught lots of pees too now. It's all timing right now with the pee, I don't know her cues at all, but I can cue her while on the potty and if she has to go, she does. It's great! My babysitter even did it once and she peed for her! I was so excited. And finally DH is on board because he sees it's actually working, and she peed and pooped for him the other day.
So, some of my questions are is it normal for her to only pee about 1-2 tablespoons worth (or that's what it looks like)? It just doesn't seem like much pee. Today she did stay dry during a nap and when I put her on the potty that time it was a little more. And I feel like sometimes she pees every 15-20 minutes, and I try to not have her sit in a wet diaper so if I miss it we're changing diapers way more than we used to! I was hoping this would save on laundry, not make more! It takes forever too because I change her in one room and the potty's in a different room (actually the hallway outside the bathroom), but I can't really move the potty because I think DD1 would be quite confused, plus then it wouldn't be near the bathroom and how annoying. But sometimes I'm lying her on the hallway floor to take off her diaper and potty her and that can't be comfortable! I just can't figure out what else to do. I guess that's it...a few years ago I heard about EC and thought "those people are crazy"! Who knew I'd be one of them?

lak1
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
It is so hard to EC when the spouse is not on board and when the rest of the world thinks you're crazy, but sounds like you are making progress despite all of that!

How old is your baby? 1 - 2 Tbs seems normal for a young one.

Yes, when my baby was a few months old, he peed once after he had a bottle, then 5 minutes later, then 10 minutes after that and then 30 minutes after that! And other times every 15 min. It is a lot of work at that stage, so you do really need the potty close by and to dress your baby in an easy to remove outfit (like prefold under belt) and leggings. Re the potty, can you purchase another one (or use a mixing bowl or container or something)? So one in the bathroom for your other child and one to take with you.

Reagansmama
01-03-2012, 06:54 PM
My DD is 6 1/2 months old now. I have been trying to do babylegs with her prefold and cover a little more recently, which seems to work out okay. It's pretty cold here so I always worry about her being warm enough. I could consider buying another potty but I already have 3 (all different types, only one of which DD2 really sits on well) so not sure my DH would agree with that. Thanks for the encouragement...I often feel like I'm the only one doing this!

mamaspice
01-03-2012, 10:13 PM
We like to potty dd in the sink because she loves the mirror. On the way there, I hold her up over my shoulder and take off any pants and unsnap the onesie. Then i hold her facing out on my hip/front to unfasten her diaper and take it off (usually a cover with a trifolded prefold). So no laying down needed!

I do lay her down to put her diaper back on, but it's not a big deal to carry her bare bottomed for a few minutes if she just went. I can also put it on while sitting on the toilet with her on my lap (handy in public restrooms).

It is helpful to have a portable potty where you are though- we have way more catches when it's not such an ordeal.

lak1
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
My DD is 6 1/2 months old now. I have been trying to do babylegs with her prefold and cover a little more recently, which seems to work out okay. It's pretty cold here so I always worry about her being warm enough. I could consider buying another potty but I already have 3 (all different types, only one of which DD2 really sits on well) so not sure my DH would agree with that. Thanks for the encouragement...I often feel like I'm the only one doing this!

I was always concerned about the baby being cold as well. You might want to try wool pants that can double as a cover. I would pull down the wool pants down to his ankles and then put him on the potty. I also just bought a few pull down trainers and am starting to try those with wool pants. Then you can pull them both down in one step without having to change the diaper. (Of course wool pants are a lot more expensive than a new potty, but you can pretty much make so with one pair - esp if it has an extra layer in the crotch wet zone).

I also feel like I am the only one doing this. I am in LA and tried joining a local diaper-free Yahoo group, but unfortunately it is totally inactive despite the fact that there are 250 members. Too bad - I would REALLY appreciate having some people to help me learn how to do this better and to give more moral support! It's hard to have conversations over email...

Sakari
01-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I was totally alone in it too!! :hugs: (altho DH was onboard pretty easily) I found GREAT solace in online boards like this one :) I'm not on here a ton anymore, so I don't know how active the board is (DD is 3.5 now and been out of dipes since 14 months, tho I hung around long that!)

I also second the portable potty suggestion! or the wool pants, we never had any of those, but they sure look awesome!

As for laundry - there will definitely be stretches where you do WAY more laundry. :/ However.... it's worth it! and *if* by chance you're out of diapers before the conventional diapering system would have her - then you've saved on a LOT of laundry! :yay: I was done with diaper laundry about 2 years ago.... DD has a little friend who is *just* now getting out of diapers full time (they are the same age) now THAT's a lot of laundry! (from my perspective) Not only that, but even while you're still ECing, you'll have stretches of less laundry than normal diapering would have you. and you have the benefit of much less messy diapers to wash, even if the quantity is more.