PDA

View Full Version : Jello (gelatin). Do you feed it to your kids? If so, do you use Sugar free?

dancermommy1
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I have to admit, sugar free products give me the total heebee jeebees. I know refined sugar is super-processed, but at least it comes from something that actually grows out of the ground and was alive at some point. What is sugar-free jello sweetened with now, anyone know? I'm totally scared of products sweetened with nutra-sweet or sweet-n-low (and I think they have a terrible aftertaste). One reason I hate diet drinks.

Anyway, I'm totally convinced that man-made sweeteners are bad for people, but I'd love to give DS some jello. And I don't necessarily want to give him a bowl full of sugar :giggle:

Does anyone know of any natural foods store alternatives to the jello brand that are good, or if there's a stevia sweetened jello, or something?

mabelinoad
01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
you can always make your own!! its surprisingly easy!! Recipe (http://www.living-and-loving-my-country-life.com/homemade-jello.html) Another recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_4560440_homemade-jello-kids.html)

If it were me, making me own, i don't even add sugar. the juice is plenty of sweet! and it gives the color, so you don't need dyes.

but reasons you don't want jello:
too much sugar in regular kind
artifical flavors and colors
artifical sweeteners are always a no go for any person thats living :nono:

ETA:
gelatin stuff is pretty cheap too. so that shouldnt be a worry either :)

Suburbangranola
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
you can always make your own!! its surprisingly easy!! Recipe (http://www.living-and-loving-my-country-life.com/homemade-jello.html) Another recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_4560440_homemade-jello-kids.html)

If it were me, making me own, i don't even add sugar. the juice is plenty of sweet! and it gives the color, so you don't need dyes.

Thanks for the recipe! I would love to make my own instead of giving them food coloring!!

I actually don't mind feeding my kids jello every once in a while...mainly holidays or birthdays. Generally we don't eat food coloring because it makes me nervous feeling and I think the kids get hyper from it. But one bowl every few months isn't going to totally undo all the good we eat..

carriek38
01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I will admit, DP & I are artificial sweetener people. Judge me if you will, it's okay :giggle: Anyway, we like jello on occasion, so DD does get jello w/ artificial sweetener from time to time. Not frequently & not a lot at any time; I think it's been somewhere around 6 mos since we've made jello. We're not super strict about what she eats, though. We used to be better about it, but she's w/ a sitter all day...we provide all her food, so we send what we want her to eat, but the sitter feeds her whatever she feels like anyway...so the three spoonfuls of artificially colored, flavored, & sweetened jello she got 6 mos ago is not a big deal :)

mibarra
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I refuse to do anything with aspartame. That stuff scares me. I'd rather they have sugar than that. That being said, I HATE Jello, the Jello in and of itself freaks me out, so we don't do it. But I will buy applesauce and things with 'no sugar added'. :)

Sleep deprived
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Artifical sweeteners upset my stomach, so I don't use them. I do Jello very occasionally, almost always when we are sick. I figure its basically just liquids and sugars held together with a tiny bit of protein. I've done it homemade, too and that is often tastier, though I admit a soft-spot for the red-dye #40 old-skool stuff. Really, most juice - while somewhat more natural - is primarily a lot of sugar anyway.

My roommate is super-grossed out by Jello though, so in deference to him I don't make it often. :)

dancermommy1
01-09-2012, 11:35 AM

ETA:
gelatin stuff is pretty cheap too. so that shouldnt be a worry either :)

Thanks for the recipe!!!! I'll do this. I'm fine with the sugar in fruit juice, DS gets fruit juice watered down, already. I just do not like artificial sweeteners (although, oddly, I'm actually ok with artificial color in moderation, don't know why that is) Yay! now I'm excited. I may even have some plain gelatin at home already.

ETA..in the summer we make grape juice from the concord grapes on our vine--I bet the homemade grape jello would be awesome!!!

For the vegans, i think you can use Agar instead of gelatin if gelatin freaks you out...

MrsStripe
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Um, I do jello, infrequently but still do it. I love making little cut outs as snacks for holiday's etc. I know I could make my own, but mostly I'm lazy and cook best from a box.:blush:

pcjs
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Nope, wouldn't give it to a little one. Maybe every once in a while to an older (3-4+) but it would be rare and I'd have to find a veggie version.

mmmom
01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Jello terrifies me as I nearly choked to death on a jello cube; yes I almost died eating Jello :shame:
Anyways my kids are also scared of it and refuse to eat it.
That recipe looks super easy though I may try it for my preschool class

luvsviola
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
We eat jello here. But, we eat the full sugar versions.

dncegrl
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
We eat jello! The sugar kind not the aspartame kind...it gives us headaches. Im totally gng to try to make my own though

jackyl08
01-09-2012, 11:44 PM
We do Jello, but the full on sugar kind. I make it every few months and I put pineapple or pears in it. DD LOVES it that way, but she has a hard time with spoons and jello. :)

happysmileylady
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I have done Jello on occasion...though honestly, I think my 3 yr old has had it maybe 3 times in her whole life. I totally do the regular full on kind, when I do it. But, it takes so long to make it that I usually forget to have it ready in enough time. And, usually, more than two or three bites makes me nauseaous.

EmilytheStrange
01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I tried jello this week :) DD loves it. She's 15 months.

I give it after dinner. And then it's bath and teeth brushing.

I don't really worry about the sugar cause she was already getting dessert after most nighttime dinners and so it's just a different dessert. I mean, even fruit is sugar. Just brush the teeth :)

CherryPie
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I do not feed my kids jello b/c I think gelatin is gross (I'm a vegetarian ;))

eljube112
01-10-2012, 04:49 PM
my kids love jello. we have it probably once a month. I'm going to have to look at that recipe that was posted more closely. I love finding ways to home make our favourites!

escapethevillage
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I would rather stand naked in a mall than allow kids to eat Jello in my house.

At a water park, or in someone else's house, no problem. But, never again in my house.

P!nkPepper
01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
We do sugar free because my kiddos are Diabetic. I just add cool whip & it is ok. Not my fave but it will do. I also have made a type of "jello jiggler" with fruit juice. The recipe is in a cookbook from my childhood, "Feed me, I'm yours". I can't post it since is in storage along with almost everything we own. It is delicious.

JennTheMomma
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
We don't do Jello here. I've never been a fan and DH can't even see it. DH's Nona use to put carrots and other such veggies inside the Jello and give it to him as a kid. Nona is from Italy and I don't think she really understood Jello much.

Janine
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
No Jello here because we are a vegan household. If we did though, I would probably use the regular sugar kind. Once in a while doesn't hurt. Heck, I grew up drinking tons of Kool Aid and I'm fine. ;)

Almacham
01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
We eat jello here. But, we eat the full sugar versions.

Same here.

It's just a treat around here, so I don't care that it's sugar laden. :) They get it... I don't know... trying to think here... once a month? Not on any kind of a regular schedule. Just when DH is going to the store for me and I'm thinking, "Hmm, we haven't had a little Jell O in a while!"

masja
01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
No jello here, though we have made a vegan version before and it was alright. Considering what gelatin is made of, I don't think it should be fit for human consumption, lol.