PDA

View Full Version : Stretchy lycra therapy swing and crawly tube!!

JamieJLD
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
I finally got around to making a new therapy swing for my DD with ASD. We have a cool Ikea swing that a friend gave us but I've wanted a stretchy, bouncy lycra one for a while now. I saw a really awesome one at an OT booth at an Autism fundraiser but it was super expensive (almost $300!) and I started googling and thinking and came up with a super easy way to make it myself.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6706118517_24bbcf1617.jpg

I bought 6 yards of the highest lycra content swimsuit material I could find (off season sale for only $35!) and folded it in half and sewed up each of the 3 yard long sides. Then I turned the whole thing inside out so I had the seams inside and tied each end in a big knot onto a 3" metal ring - the kind you would use for a ring sling. I pulled and pulled on the knots to get them super tight and then used a carabiner to attach the swing to our ceiling hook in the playroom! My daughter loves it!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6706119183_fbb4463d5e.jpg

It is amazing how bouncy it is! She can swing and bounce and kick and just go nuts in there! I took a video of her enjoying her new therapy toy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq7JGXdgUC0&feature=plcp&context=C30f8f11UDOEgsToPDskLhaFr7S1hMINiNl_3i7roI

I also picked up 2 yards of a fun blue swimsuit material and made her a stretchy crawly tube. Both of my girls loved playing with that! It is a perfect exciting and adventurous activity for these cold winter days!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6706117137_fcfeebe081.jpg

That one was really easy too. I just sewed the material into a tube using a french seam. I turned and stitched the two openings to give them a finished look.

I'm so happy with these projects! They were easy, cheap, and will definitely be very helpful and fun for my daughter!

mrschaeos
01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow! I wish i had anywhere to hang a swing like that. My son has SPD an that would be awesome. He loves the swings at OT. Great job mama!

BlackRose
01-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Great work. I want a swing like that :)

jessiesmom
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
have you tested out the swing to see how much weight it would hold? I would love to be able to make one for my daughter but worry if she would be too heavy.

JamieJLD
01-16-2012, 05:55 AM
have you tested out the swing to see how much weight it would hold? I would love to be able to make one for my daughter but worry if she would be too heavy.

All of the metal pieces (rings, carabiner, chain) are rated for 200+ pounds, so the fabric is the only questionable thing. I don't know how much weight two layers of fabric can hold. I climbed in the swing last night (180 pounds) and it stretched until I was partially sitting on the floor but it didn't make any ripping sounds and it bounced back as soon as I got up. You could maybe do three layers of fabric? I'd imagine that would hold a lot.

dublinmom
01-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Those are awesome!

babynme8
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
WOW great job those are awesome!!

ommelissa
03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Wow, she's really going to town in that video!

lyn1270
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
awesome!

bcarroll9494
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
excellent idea. I know those are pricey. My bro has one for my nephew.

You know, it is not so high off the ground that anyone would be injured if the fabric failed. I wouldn't worry about it for personal use.

boomgirl79
03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
That is awesome. What a great idea!

mommabritt
03-21-2013, 01:33 PM
That is rad. I would love one of those.

She looks like she loves it in the video, I kept thinking she would hit the floor!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

klhmom
03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Wow! I have never seen anything like that. How cool!

rumblepurr
03-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Brilliant!!

missc
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Awesome job mama! I used to work at an outpt Peds clinic as an OT. We were a new clinic for this company, and so we needed some cheap equipment. I used a mountain climbing carribeaner on a rope to hold the swing; they are so much cheaper than the labeled therapy equipment. When I moved to a rural area I made a Lycra swing that I held and had early intervention kiddos "swing" in while I held it. Later I hung it up at my house and my kids played in it. You'll probably notice discoloring at the stress points of the fabric before it breaks.
I love seeing sensory rooms, they're so awesome for all kids (of all ages!!)!

whitneywalters
03-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Very neat!

Fashionably Green Baby
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
I know this post was originally done over a year ago BUT OP if you see this, where did you purchase your fabric. I am going to make one of these for DS (and of course the other kids will want to play too :giggle: ) and I want to get a good fabric.

JamieJLD
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I know this post was originally done over a year ago BUT OP if you see this, where did you purchase your fabric. I am going to make one of these for DS (and of course the other kids will want to play too :giggle: ) and I want to get a good fabric.

I got it at Hancock Fabrics with a coupon. I'm sure Joann Fabrics would have swim material too. You just want to look for something with a high lycra content and that stretches in all directions - vertically, horizontally, and on the diagonal. :)

flyinmum
03-24-2013, 08:51 PM

I just bought some of this last week at Hancock Fabric. It was on the sale table for $6 a yard. They had pink, blue and lighter turquoise color.

Fashionably Green Baby
03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
I got it at Hancock Fabrics with a coupon. I'm sure Joann Fabrics would have swim material too. You just want to look for something with a high lycra content and that stretches in all directions - vertically, horizontally, and on the diagonal. :)

Thanks. We have Joanns and hancocks. Is yours really shiny? I am hoping to find a more matte fabric (like some leotards are)

cinderella08
03-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Wow. If you ever feel like making any to sell, PLMK... My son was just DXd with SPD and we are exploring other possible issues and he would benefit from both of these.... We are currently looking at another similar 'cocoon' swing but it's over $150...

emolatur
05-11-2013, 07:30 AM
JoAnn Fabric does, in fact, have what you are looking for. They call it "swimsuit material," the variant I got is 18% spandex and 82% nylon. The "it starts showing signs of ripping here" limit for a single layer is just about 180 lbs - at least that's the heaviest person who got in mine while it was a single layer, and it made some ... "iffy" noises... but didn't break.

At 120 lbs (me), two layers is decent, three is right.

Mine was single-layer for about 3 months with no sign of failure, but 120 lbs would stretch it all the way to the point where it was no longer stretchy. I added more layers last night, great improvement.

Mine is hung from a modified (MAJORLY modified... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME unless you know what you're doing) ceiling fan so it also spins... (the modification consisted of completely re-working the upper part of the fan itself, and securing it directly to a beam with 4" lag screws)

KumfyKozies
05-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Love these! We don't have a good place to hang a swing, but I totally would if I could. My son LOVES these kinds of sensory input toys.

justsamma
05-19-2013, 06:48 PM
/drools.
i want one for myself.

sarahleigh
05-21-2013, 04:31 PM
this is great!