PDA

View Full Version : How about a seperate area just for debating hot topics?

mommy2zander
06-10-2006, 10:28 PM
And then some rules to keep THE DEBATES out of the main posting areas?

I love ds & would love to see it stay friendly & warm...

I also see that debating is fun & many people enjoy it!

So maybe this would be a way to keep debaters happy, while not crushing the feelings of those that do not enjoy a "sticky/sometimes name calling" debate!

I really hope this might be a possibility! Thanks in advance!! :hugegrin:

singlemomto3
06-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I say it should be easy, open up another board called hot debate. We'll have to see if the mods can do that.

Samantha
06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I remember a post with this same suggestion on the old board.

If I remember right most of the members(or at least the majority) said they didnt want a debate forum.

dirtdartwife
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I can only speak from negative experience in regards to a debate. I loved the forum I was visiting, had made a few good friends, met one IRL, and then a debate I got onto turned REALLY, REALLY nasty. Left a super bad taste in my mouth to the point that I never visited there again.

Here, I've encountered people that have some differing ideas and opinions, but I've never been brutually flamed for anything that I've posted. I also see alot of MUTUAL respect. And I like that.

I am all about a good debate and I like to jump in on them. Unfortuntaly, in cyber-world, even with the use of emoticons, you can't have a good debate because people can't see nor hear you (resulting in interpreting body language and voice inflections). Therefore some of the most simplistic ideas can get confused and misinterpreted. Feelings are left hurt and that's just not fair to anyone involved.

That's one thing I like about DS... yes, we have our heated threads, but the board is good at ensuring it's kept toned down and if it starts to unravel, it's shut down. I wouldn't want to come here if there was a place for heated debates.

I'm so sick of all the negativity in the world, I hear it on the radio, I see it on the TV, I'm bombarded with it and images every time I log on to my computer. Please, leave it off DS. I like my happy little "fluff world" without all the psycho drama of real life. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: (The theme music to Sesame Street is now stuck in my head.... :banghead:)

mommy2zander
06-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe I should clarify a little:

what about a "soft debate forum" to keep the "soft (if we can call it that! :whistle:) debate" that is already happening & hurting mama's feelings out of the other threads??

Maybe I'm alone with this feeling, but I don't like the heated arguments ("debates") that have been happening in some of the threads lately! :blush: Lately I feel like this board has way more psycho drama then my real life... but :dunno:

imommy
06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Jennifer I agree with your last post. There just seems to be too much drama around here lately. I've been trying to stick to the unheated discussions or just trying to stick to the posts that people are genuinely asking questions about fluffy stuff.

I said to one of my friends from here the other day though "when you get a group of 2000+ women in the same arena, there's going to be drama and there's going to have to be some babysitting (via the mods)." That's only the truth, regardless of if there's a debate forum or not. :laugh: :razz:

MamaJo
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I said to one of my friends from here the other day though "when you get a group of 2000+ women in the same arena, there's going to be drama and there's going to have to be some babysitting (via the mods)." That's only the truth, regardless of if there's a debate forum or not. :laugh: :razz:

aint that the truth! :laugh:

If you think of it as though its IRL, we could all be at the same social gathering. You go to one room and people are talking about cars and gas mileage, you go to the next and parents are talking about milestones, you to that room where the freaks are talking about cloth diapers (ewww grossss! :giggle:) - or you go to the next and they're getting all hot and bothered over some particular topic.....just walk back over to some other conversation :goodvibes:

I'm thinking I might include in the mods jobs that once they find a heated topic, we can edit the title and add HEATED as a simple warning.

MamaJo
06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh, I thought I would add....the reason I wouldn't want to create a forum just for heated topics is because I'd prefer we spend out time agreeing and having good ol' chit chat. But, its just a fact that sometimes touchy subjects come up - no biggie. I just don't want to put an invitation out there for a room where everybody disagrees all the time, kwim? I'm not sure if that made any sense....

I guess I just think that a specific forum is a free ticket to argue with anyone at any given time, I don't think it would be the exception to people getting their feelings hurt.

Samantha
06-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking I might include in the mods jobs that once they find a heated topic, we can edit the title and add HEATED as a simple warning.

good idea!:thumbsup:

mommy2zander
06-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Awesome idea!! :thumbsup: