PDA

View Full Version : I need stoller opinions

AmarilloMommy
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm having a really hard time deciding what to do here.

Right now, we have a nicer umbrella stroller that we love, but my 20mo. old DS hates it. He will not sit in it...ever!

Now with baby #2 on the way I've been thinking about my options. I've narrowed it down to a couple of ideas.

1. We get a sit n stand type stroller (thinking about a Joovy) so that we can put baby in his car seat in the front and have somewhere for DS to stand and ride. I would keep the umbrella we have currently in case I ever need it for going out with one kiddo.

or

2. Getting a nicer travel system (we loved ours the first time) and getting a separate stroller board to attach for DS to ride on. The only down side I see with this is that the sit n stand strollers have somewhere for DS to sit if he decides he wants to. I would get rid of the umbrella here since I would be able to remove the stroller board when necessary.

I also thought about skipping the infant seat altogether and investing in a nice carrier, but then I'm stuck carrying both kids and that's just too much for me.

I feel like this is way more difficult than it should be! :banghead:

marthathecakelady
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I would look at one of the sit and stand models that has a removable seat back since you little guy is still under 2. I have seen several at our children's consignment sale that have a real seat in the back position that comes off to be a sit/stand bench seat once baby is a bit older. So he could still take a nap on that long day to the zoo for awhile but by the time he is 3ish you can remove the seat back and let him sit/stand when needed.

jakeysmama
01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
In an ideal world, I would go with the Baby Jogger City Select and get the 2nd seat option. And as your DS gets older, you can add a ride on board for him. But they are $$$ And the Baby Joggers are super easy to fold! I use one now for my 3.5yr old and he still loves it. I love the strollers that offer the 2nd seat option, but are still about the same size as a single stroller so they are easy to maneuver.

I think the most affordable strollers that offer this is the Kolcraft Contours. Britax, Baby Jogger, UppaBaby, Phil&Teds, and Valco are a few other brands I can think of that offer this.

tibeca
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I did a sit and stand with the seat attachment. Perfect when we took our 6 mo and 3 yo to the zoo. I don't use it all the time as my 3 yo is perfectly capable of walking at most places. Then we use our regular stroller. I also have an umbrella stroller for really quick trips. I bought everything used, which means together it all cost less than a new sit and stand.

AmarilloMommy
01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
In an ideal world, I would go with the Baby Jogger City Select and get the 2nd seat option. And as your DS gets older, you can add a ride on board for him. But they are $$$ And the Baby Joggers are super easy to fold! I use one now for my 3.5yr old and he still loves it. I love the strollers that offer the 2nd seat option, but are still about the same size as a single stroller so they are easy to maneuver.

I think the most affordable strollers that offer this is the Kolcraft Contours. Britax, Baby Jogger, UppaBaby, Phil&Teds, and Valco are a few other brands I can think of that offer this.

I would love a City Select but they are so pricey. I was even thinking about a City Mini Double. If he wants to sit in the seat he can and I can keep a rider board in the car for when he doesn't. I keep thinking that if he sees another baby riding in the stroller then he'll be more inclined to ride too.

marthathecakelady
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Have you ever shopped at your JBF? That is a great place to get a great deal on a gently used stroller! I bought our sit and stand for $40! :) I have no idea how big the Amarillo sale is but might be worth checking out in April! Here is a link.... http://amarillo.jbfsale.com/pages/home

Hey they even have a facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/jbfamarillo

AmarilloMommy
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Have you ever shopped at your JBF? That is a great place to get a great deal on a gently used stroller! I bought our sit and stand for $40! :) I have no idea how big the Amarillo sale is but might be worth checking out in April! Here is a link.... http://amarillo.jbfsale.com/pages/home

Hey they even have a facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/jbfamarillo

I've been a couple times but I never found anything worth buying. It's not as awesome here as I wish it was!

Kelpagan
01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
We have the City Select and absolutely LOVE it! I have been so happy with it, and I can't wait to use it with 2 babies!

jakeysmama
01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I have the city mini (not the double but I have a friend who has that one) and I love it! In fact, I plan on selling my travel system and just using that with the back board for the new baby and DS (he'll be 4 by then). I've found it to be worth every penny. But I am a big stroller user. We are out and about a lot. And I love going for long walks.

mkekaty
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
This has worked well for us! http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Stand-Double-Stroller/dp/B003JTF2U2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1327013345&sr=8-8

AmarilloMommy
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
This has worked well for us! http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Stand-Double-Stroller/dp/B003JTF2U2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1327013345&sr=8-8

I was looking at this one...How is it quality wise?

marthathecakelady
01-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Oh that purple and gray is CUTE!! I like the stadium seating to!! And did you see they have an infant carrier available that matches!

LittleThingsMama638
01-19-2012, 05:32 PM

I believe this is what we're doing. DH thinks we'll be fine with the travel system stroller and umbrella stroller and a carrier. But that's not happening. So once I convince him this is absolutely necessary that's what we're doing. This and the baby carrier, then eventually this and the umbrella stroller because my almost 4 year old DS refuses to walk most of the time. I saw one at the mall over Christmas and it was actually a decent size, a tiny bit bigger than our travel stroller but definitely not huge and it had space to put things, though not a lot. I've had my eye on one of these since DD was born.

pkaskaggs
01-20-2012, 06:13 AM
I believe this is what we're doing. DH thinks we'll be fine with the travel system stroller and umbrella stroller and a carrier. But that's not happening. So once I convince him this is absolutely necessary that's what we're doing. This and the baby carrier, then eventually this and the umbrella stroller because my almost 4 year old DS refuses to walk most of the time. I saw one at the mall over Christmas and it was actually a decent size, a tiny bit bigger than our travel stroller but definitely not huge and it had space to put things, though not a lot. I've had my eye on one of these since DD was born.

op...i LOVE the joovy idea! those are so cool. the sit n stand does give u the option for your oldest to nap...does he usually fall asleep in the stroller when ya'll are out? mine dont, so i would be tempted to go w/ the joovy. those are 2 of the strollers we are looking at too!

angie...we are expecting our 3rd as well and i know for a fact that my oldest will want to ride if we are out walking all day. here (http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Caboose-Stand-Tandem-Stroller/dp/B000NDY7TY) is what we are thinking about getting!

sk8nut
01-20-2012, 06:43 AM
I would love a City Select but they are so pricey. I was even thinking about a City Mini Double. If he wants to sit in the seat he can and I can keep a rider board in the car for when he doesn't. I keep thinking that if he sees another baby riding in the stroller then he'll be more inclined to ride too.

Is there a store near you that has one on display that you could see how he likes it?

Between your option in the OP I'd go for the Joovy because as you said it provides a place to sit as well as stand. Over all though I'd recommend going to ta store with a wide range of strollers if you can and let DS have some say in what he likes. It could be that he doesn't like strollers or it could be that he just doesn't like the one you have.

My DS LOVES just about all strollers but he still has some favorites that he insists on sitting in at BuyBuyBaby every time we go, lol.

Another stroller often overlooked that works well as a sit-n-stand option is the Peg Perego P3 - it has a step on the back where your son could stand BUT it is a small step so it's more often used only when they get tired and not all the time. The Inglesina Zippy is very similar too. You may find that your son would be happy in the seat of either of those (especially the Peg that has a harness that allows them to lean forward and still be strapped in) and you could use a carrier for the little one in the beginning.

LittleThingsMama638
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
angie...we are expecting our 3rd as well and i know for a fact that my oldest will want to ride if we are out walking all day. here (http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Caboose-Stand-Tandem-Stroller/dp/B000NDY7TY) is what we are thinking about getting!

I love that, that has got to be the best stroller ever! But holy cow at the price!

mkekaty
01-21-2012, 05:50 PM
op...i LOVE the joovy idea! those are so cool. the sit n stand does give u the option for your oldest to nap...does he usually fall asleep in the stroller when ya'll are out? mine dont, so i would be tempted to go w/ the joovy. those are 2 of the strollers we are looking at too!

I am kindof a stroller hoarder :) I also have the triple and it's great for the zoo, but is a beast! It's difficult to push, but I do love that it holds 3 and has the stadium seating. Also, it's super long, so you'll want to make sure it will fit in your car. One on my girlfriends wanted to borrow mine, but couldn't fit it in her minivan.

The double sit and stand is fantastic! I've traveled extensively with it and it holds up super well.

The stroller that I use daily is the phil and ted dash. LOVE this stroller!! My oldest sits on the foot rest and it still pushes efortlessly with all three in it.

My husband thinks I'm nuts with all of my strollers (I also have a snap and go and bob single)...but they all work well for different things :)

mkekaty
01-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I love that, that has got to be the best stroller ever! But holy cow at the price!

I got mine on craigslist for $110...so look around!

pkaskaggs
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM

lol :) i would never pay full price for that thing! i'm not a big stroller person with the 2 that i have so i'm not willing to invest much with this one. there are 2 on craigslist that i've been eying...i am forcing myself to wait until i see a healthy baby and heartbeat on the 1st before i make any purchases.

even at full price....it's cheaper than the baby jogger everyone seems to love. when i priced that thing with all the accessories that i would want it came to $680...YIKES!

alliecatn1
01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Have you seen the graco ready2grow? It has 12 combinations and great reviews... Hopefully this picture will work...http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBPDr5fB8GeFbB8fN8jNtNIin3W/doc.html?email=mtvj99%40hotmail.com

crysntony
01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
We have the sit and stand deluxe. Two full size seats and the rear one detaches so it can be a sit/stand. My girls are 15mos apart and it was a huge help. My infant carseat would fit in front or back. Now my older girls are 3 and 4 now and my youngest is 11mos, it still works great for baby in front and either ODD on back sitting or standing.(usually both are on it , one sitting forward and the other standing). They look like 3 bumps on a log :giggle: Good to pick a stroller that can grow with your family, not only in size but age also.

momomom
01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I use a carrier for the babe usually, but we did buy a double jogger on Clist this summer. It was $100 and I am happy with it- a Schwinn, I believe. I'm not into fancy strollers, tho, I just want something to get the job done.

I'd much rather save my money for cloth diapers- LOL!

sonitaw
01-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I really love the peg preggo. I only have one though so I don't know about 2 kids (yet). Can't say enough about the pp. got a city select off craigslist because I missed my bugaboo in Europe. It's only worth the cash if you walk a lot near your house. It's heavy and cumbersome for America life (in and outta the car nonstop). Would have been perfect in Europe. I like the peg preggo because you can fold it down into a bassinet which was really handy when we tracked with dd when she was young. My stroller live affairs have looked like:
Mclaren volo great for now (2year old) in and out of farmers market etc.
Peg perego. Great for when she was little, loved the lie flat feature. Handled trips and bumpy streets well (we go to Europe a lot).
For toddlers I liked the quinny Zapp it was a smooth push an great for European cobblestone streets. Terrible for shopping its tippy. Nice fold light weight.
Bugaboo frog/gecko (owned both sold both when we left Spain) gecko is cheaper and slightly lighter. Not much of a difference between the two. Makes perfect sense for Europe not so much here unless you live in an urban area and survive mostly without a car. they have nice boards for the back for a second kid.
Baby jogger city select - nice but heavy. Would love to have it in Europe but im wondering if I'll use it with this next baby or if the weight will annoy me. I haven't used it enough to really compare it to the bugaboo because my lifestyle is do different here in the states.
Graco snap and go. Frame for carseat worked well with the car seat but had zero shocks. Im guessing it'll annoy me after owning so many high end strollers. When I had it it was fine because the car seat was where my daughter stayed when we were out and about. I'm guessing this baby will be on the city select with the car seat adaptor.

pkaskaggs
01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Have you seen the graco ready2grow? It has 12 combinations and great reviews... Hopefully this picture will work...http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBPDr5fB8GeFbB8fN8jNtNIin3W/doc.html?email=mtvj99%40hotmail.com

ewwww...i haven't seen this yet!!! it looks cool though. i'm going to go check it out @ bru and see for myself. maybe this is THE one?

pkaskaggs
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
i am reviving this thread from long ago because i have more questions!!! :)

hopefully you guys can help. with our 3...we like the idea of a sit n stand type stroller but now i'm realizing that there will be times where my 2yo will want to nap, like if we are out running around during lunchtime. he always falls asleep after lunch. i love the idea of the deluxe sit n stand that has the removable back seat BUT i've read that neither seat recline enough for a bigger kid for comfortably nap. it seems like the joovy ultralight or the graco ready2grow have the best reclining seats.

what do you all think???

babyGmommy
05-25-2012, 08:51 PM
i am reviving this thread from long ago because i have more questions!!! :)

hopefully you guys can help. with our 3...we like the idea of a sit n stand type stroller but now i'm realizing that there will be times where my 2yo will want to nap, like if we are out running around during lunchtime. he always falls asleep after lunch. i love the idea of the deluxe sit n stand that has the removable back seat BUT i've read that neither seat recline enough for a bigger kid for comfortably nap. it seems like the joovy ultralight or the graco ready2grow have the best reclining seats.

what do you all think???

Go and play with the graco ready2grow In the store. If you can. I was looking at it with my cousin the other day and I liked the options

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

pkaskaggs
05-26-2012, 09:27 AM
we are actually going to check it out tomorrow morning on our way to our 'baby moon' we are also going to stop and check out the joovy ultralight. i think we have it narrowed down to those 2 unless we end up springing for the baby jogger city select w/ 2nd seat and rider board. that would be so nice! :)

babyGmommy
05-28-2012, 06:51 AM
we are actually going to check it out tomorrow morning on our way to our 'baby moon' we are also going to stop and check out the joovy ultralight. i think we have it narrowed down to those 2 unless we end up springing for the baby jogger city select w/ 2nd seat and rider board. that would be so nice! :)

I owned the joovy ultra light and the joovy ergo -- the ultra light was great I accidentally ripped the strap and I called joovy they sent out a replacement right away:)

Stay far from the joovy ergo lol I love how the infant seat can be in the back of the stroller, but the stroller is hard to push the back tires have a bad pump connecters.

Fun I am running out today to help my sister inlaw with her baby registry I'm going to play with strollers while I'm at BrU ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum