PDA

View Full Version : Ob appointments?

Ellie'sMomma
03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure what is normal, I was at group health place last time, but when our insurance changed I went at 21 weeks to my current ob.

So I went today for a blood draw that is a "pregnancy kit" and a positive/negative test. They called to tell me yes, it is positive and now I go on to a appointment with a med assistant (on the 19th) who takes my history (which they already have?) and then finally an appt with the doctor on April 2nd!

Is this normal? The appointments seem really far out?

Lovinmama3
03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I am going to the same obgyn (has her own practice) as I did with my last two pregnancies. With all of them I was seen for the first time at 8wks. No u/s until 18-20wks. First appt. was really just family history, test that I'm actually pregnant, and blood draw.

winodini
03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't have the same insurance as used previously so I'm not sure what to expect this time either.

L&A'smommy
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
My OB doesn't see patients until 8 weeks unless someone's having problems or requests a blood pregnancy test, even then they don't see you for the blood pregnancy test, they just have you pick up a lab slip.

Sam25!
03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
My ob does a blood draw, then a nurse visit, before they do an actual apt.

Colleen+1
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I think everywhere has their own way, due to our ivf I get seen within 2 weeks of my positive, I think my sil got seen around 8 weeks for a pee test and then follow up. They didn't ever have bw

AnimalHouse
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
My old OB and midwife saw me at 6 weeks with DS2 and DS3 due to my TTC history and losses. I'm having to find a new OB (or preferably midwife) this time around, and no one will see me until at least 8 weeks. My first appointment is with a local OB on March 20, and I'll be just past 8 weeks then.

Usually they do a pregnancy test, and check my family history (just a questionaire). I got early ultrasounds with DS2 and DS3 to check viability, and I'm hoping the new OB will do one.

Mack
03-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Well, seeing as how I have been working with an RE for the last year, I had a 5w, 3d ultrasound yesterday, and I will have one again next week. So far it just looks like a little grain of rice, but its mine!

clatchford2011
03-10-2012, 07:10 AM
typically we have our appointments around 6-8 weeks. Typically 8 weeks, anatomical u/s at 18 weeks, and that is it unless they feel the need to check on the baby for any abnormalities or monitor your amniotic fluid. After the first 8 week appointment (unless you are high risk) you go every 4 weeks until I want to say somewhere midway through second trimester. once you are about 36 weeks you go once a week until your DD.

2+2macht4
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I go back on March 20th, so 2 weeks between appointments here.

rosefall
03-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I'll call in about a month, they want first appointments to be around 10-12 weeks.

clatchford2011
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
waiting on my approval for a referral. Going off post because Hunter doesn't have a hospital. So FX for something nice! I pray my OB is on board with my birth plan and if not I am calling in for another referral to a MW. I am also opting to take my placenta home to make placenta caps. I don't need the baby blues this time ;)

taralynnel
03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
my ob won't see you until after 8 weeks where they do a health history and a dating u/s. we are military so it's usually the same where ever we are. i went last week to my reg dr to do a pee test so i could get an ob referral. i'll be calling tomorrow to make my first appt. i won't be 8 weeks until the very beginning of april. but i had a missed miscarriage last july and so i'm going to beg them to see me earlier :P i just don't think i can worry for another several weeks before knowing if the bean is okay in there.

jamiejo
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I go for an orientation at a birthing center to meet the midwives on Saturday to see if that is the way we want to go. It's an hour drive for us, but anything closer is 45 minutes soo.... might as well check out the birthing center! They handle VBAC which is fabulous! We are new-ish to this area and dont have a lot of friends to tell us who is great and who is not. lol I have no idea when they will make an actual appt. I would guess 8-12 weeks.

cherrycoke
03-17-2012, 05:48 AM
I also have a birth center orientation to see if that's what we want to do and if they'll even take me (I had a mega cyst on my ovary last pregnancy so now I "have a history of cysts"), and my OB won't see me until after 8 weeks anyway, so it will be a few weeks until I get to see the bean