PDA

View Full Version : Chicken tractor by day, hoop coop for night question!

mrschaeos
04-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Ok, here an something I was wondering. I spent the last four days building a hoop coop for my girls, an boy it seems... But I am wanting to do a chicken tractor for during the day. I want to make two. One for inside the backyard fence, an one for outside the fence in the field. I am wondering how in the world I will get the hens in the chicken tractor each morning? Do I have to carry them, will they follow me? Can I lure them with feed? Help me out:giggle:

~happy2Bamommy~
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Not sure. We do coops and we do chicken tractors but we don't move chickens between the two. Will be interesting to see responses!

3lilbubs
04-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Toss a treat in there? I honestly don't know. Mine are too young yet, they follow me for about five steps and then they'll all "holy cow was that a speck?! No it's my speck! mine mine mine! oh.. hey where did the shoes go?

cdwelton
04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Chicken scratch is like candy to the chickens so I'm sure that will work. Something you should also think about is getting them water, food (need protein and other nutrition that grass doesn't have), shade, nest box and also dust baths our pretty important to stop insects from getting to them. So you might just have to do limited tractor time or something, but I think its great to get them out of the coop area to.

mrschaeos
04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
The tractor i am looking at has a nest box on one end, an i will be covering half the top with tin, so they will have shade. I was figuring i would make another automatic water for using in the tractor. An they have feed in the main coop at all times.

So you as not really supposed to move them between tractor an coop? They can live full tim ein the tractor? It doesnt seem big enough!

cdwelton
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you got everything you need for the tractor coop. You can defiantly move them between the both. Chickens are creatures of habit so once you get in a routine then you probably won't need to bate them in, they'll just go in them self.

mrschaeos
04-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Ok, hubby now thinks that building a chicken tractor was my sneaky way of gettin more chicks...lol what he doesn't know if tuesday is the last shipment of banties at tsc an I am going....lol!