PDA

View Full Version : edit: yes you Can put over 13oz in your mailbox (silly USPS!)

bcarroll9494
05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
edit to update: I talked to a more knowledgeable clerk at another PO and he cleared this up for me. Sorry to post this thread in the first place! It is so unfortunate that some USPS staff are clueless about their own guidelines.
YOU CAN put preprinted label packages in your mailbox even over 13oz

I was dropping something at the PO today and in the course of our conversation, the clerk metioned that all mail over 13oz has to come into the PO. WHAT? I never do that. If I can print a label via PP and it fits in my mailbox, I just do that. I've never had a shipping problem because of this, has ANYONE?????
What would be the point of doing shipping labels via PP or Click'n'ship? (besides the better price)

Got this from https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm
Don’t put mail over 13 oz in a blue collection box, Post Office lobby drop, Automated Postal Center drop, or any other unattended location.
If your mailpiece weighs more than 13 oz and is bearing only stamps as postage, you’ll need to take it to the retail counter of a Post Office™, Contract Postal Unit, or Approved Shipper location. If left in a mailbox, it won’t be picked up; if dropped in a collection box or lobby drop, it will be returned to you.

SillyLily
05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
From what I understand (previous posts on here and the part you quoted from the USPS website), it actually is referring to mail that ONLY has stamps on it (as opposed to a label with postage printed online). I believe the law was made to prevent people from anonymously shipping dangerous things (like pipe bombs or anthrax). When you ship through paypal/stamps.com/endicia/USPS clicknship/etc..., it is not anonymous.

DCAMama
05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
You can "schedule a pickup" on the USPS site, not sure about PP since I haven't shipped through there for a long time. You can schedule anything to be picked up.

keonli
05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, all the mail boxes here have a sticker stating that. The mailman says that applies to the preprinted labels too and that I could easily arrange for pick up.

stevensmom
05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Actually it only applies to stamps.

As the reason they want you to bring in over 13oz in is for the "no hazard or fragile items". You already give the okay for that when you print out you label from pp.

But to save from someone going postal I would just take it inside or do a pick up. However pick ups can only be done if you have at least one priority. Can't have a pickup for just a fc item.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

stevensmom

As the reason they want you to bring in over 13oz in is for the "no hazard or fragile items". You already give the okay for that when you print out you label from pp.

But to save from someone going postal I would just take it inside or do a pick up. However pick ups can only be done if you have at least one priority. Can't have a pickup for just a fc item.

stevensmom

bcarroll9494
05-15-2012, 02:22 PM
yeah, the clerk did mention the "anonymous" mail thing. But, you're right, with the preprinted labels, your PP address is on it. But the package I brought in today had a click'n'ship preprinted label and it still sparked the conversation. ????
I will investigate further next item I go into the PO. Today I spoke with the clerk who thinks "Flat Rate" means it has to be flat. :giggle: Next time I'll try to catch the postmaster. She is usually much more helpful.

4littlenorskes
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Today I spoke with the clerk who thinks "Flat Rate" means it has to be flat. :giggle: Next time I'll try to catch the postmaster. She is usually much more helpful.

:giggle2: I just spit my water...are you serious?! That explains the whole postal system!

From what I understand it only applies to packages with stamps.

Pampered Mama
05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I ship all my packages- no matter the size, including those over 13oz and international ones as well by just leaving them in my mailbox, or if there are too many, in a bin on my front step that is marked USPS. I never schedule a pickup, and I've never had a problem.

ashley84
05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I've talked to the post office in my town and my own mail carrier multiple times about the rules on click and ship labels. I can put anything that will physically fit inside of my mailbox for my mail carrier to pick up. I can schedule a pick-up or leave a post-it note on the mailbox if I have too much to fit in the box or something that is too big for the box. Then the mail carrier will come to my door to get it. (I think the post-it note is just something my carrier allows. I don't know that every carrier would be ok with that.)

If I need to get something out same-day and the mail carrier has already been to my house, I can drop it in the blue mailboxes outside of the post office if it is 13 oz or less. If it is over 13oz, I have to physically carry it into the post office.

I have no idea what the rules are for stamped packages. I only ever send packages with click and ship labels.

smashncakes
05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Mine says as long as its a pre-printed paypal label and it fits in the box, they don't care...they really only enforce that if its with actual stamps here. But they're weird about flat rate boxes here...I can't mail anything with more than one piece of tape across a seam, it has to be in the original "intended" shape of the box (so no stuff that box until its round and has all of the seams duct-taped for me lol)...but I can receive them stuffed ridiculously full and they won't say anything? I don't even get that.

Mamaleah
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I was told by a clerk at my PO that if ANY package fits in your mailbox you can stick it in there and they will take it. I asked one time if I could just stick package in my mailbox to be picked up and she said yes, and then added herself that it didn't matter if it weighed more...just said it needed to be able to fit in there. I have a bunch of the padded flat rate envelopes and those fit nicely in the mailbox, so I stick them in there and have never been told not to...and a bunch of them have weighed 2-3lbs.

BNC
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I ship all my packages- no matter the size, including those over 13oz and international ones as well by just leaving them in my mailbox, or if there are too many, in a bin on my front step that is marked USPS. I never schedule a pickup, and I've never had a problem.

I hang the ones that dont fit in a grocery bag on the flag that you put up on the mailbox, lol. The last mailperson I had wouldnt take them, but this one will take ANYTHING with a label on it.

stevensmom
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM

Yes that's awesome if you have a mailbox outside your front door. Unfortunately in my neighborhood we have those darn community mail boxes. So no box with a flag. The only way the mailman cones to my house is if I have a huge package(s).

So I either have to drop them off at the blue box or schedule a pick up.

qsefthuko
05-16-2012, 12:52 AM
My mailman has delivered to us our neighbors from 2 blocks away utility bill left in the box for mailing out. It had never even made it to the po. I never leave packages in the mailbox for fear someone else in our neighborhood will get it and decide to keep it.

duck411
05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
:giggle2: I just spit my water...are you serious?! That explains the whole postal system!

From what I understand it only applies to packages with stamps.

sadly, i've heard the same thing before, about flat rate having to be a flat box... lol.

TalkinBoutMyGirl
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
A lot of stuff depends on if your mailman is a jerk. Basically the same way with a lot of services in life :)

momof3boys1girl
05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I always drop stuff in the box if it fits :blush:

jfkmama
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
I was told it's ok as long as they can track through the payment method. I tend to use the APC machine at my PO b/c it has a shorter line & easier with the kids. b/c I use a CC to pay & they can track it thru the postage label that prints, if it fits in the box go ahead & put it in.

carlaross
05-18-2012, 06:44 AM

This.

There are also signs on the mail drop boxes that say the same, but it applies to stamped mail only. Packages with labels printed online do not apply to this. I talked with my postmaster once about it.

carlaross
05-18-2012, 06:46 AM
yeah, the clerk did mention the "anonymous" mail thing. But, you're right, with the preprinted labels, your PP address is on it. But the package I brought in today had a click'n'ship preprinted label and it still sparked the conversation. ????
I will investigate further next item I go into the PO. Today I spoke with the clerk who thinks "Flat Rate" means it has to be flat. :giggle: Next time I'll try to catch the postmaster. She is usually much more helpful.

Ditto...coffee! :spit: That is too funny!

Leanbh
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I was just wondering the same thing, I had a package that was 14oz barely(finally got a digital scale so no more guessing on the kitchen scale) and ended up going to the po.

I would love to ship more from home instead of bringing two little kids in with me. I was also told to bring it in if over 13oz. I'm going to ask my mailman for sure as he is so nice he will tell me what his stance is. He was thrilled with his dunkin donuts gift cards I give him at xmas, sweet guy, does nobody give their mailman an xmas gift anymore?

Leanbh
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Oh and the flat rate thing, he-he......I have been told that the box has to keep it's shape and not be bulging, stuffed etc.

I've also been told to tape the poly mailers at the top so they don't snag on the machines, so I tape each top side to prevent damage or loss.