PDA

View Full Version : My mom had C-Section, will I have one too?

maecuddlez
05-27-2012, 11:07 AM
My mom kept telling me about the c-section. She really believes I will have one too. I'm here alone since my hub's deployed. Then everytime my mom called she keeps ask about the c-section. She said my grandma and she had it. It's really high risk for me to have c-section too.

I asked doctor for a couple time. She said nope.. it doesn't connect to that at all. But I found it in a book mentioned about the risk. I think I really have a chance.

Is anyone know if it goes thru the genes or something? Do I have a chance to have the c-section at all?

PS. I don't really care about it at all. I just need to prepare since my hub wont be here.

2+2macht4
05-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Csections have nothing to do with genetics.

Many of the reasons that used to be claimed for csections that may be genetically inclined like big babies, small hipes ect have been proven old wives tails.

Csections should never be done unless there is a medical need, and even then I would darn well research before agreeing to it.

I would be firm with your mom, tell her enough is enough if she will not drop the csection talk you prefer to talk about something else.

Being anxious does you and baby no good. Have no fear mama.

jaelynsmommy61607
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
My mom had 3 csections and I've had 2. Although hers were for different reasons. I asked my midwife because I feared I'd be the same as her. She said it has nothing to do with my chances of having a vaginal birth. When I had my first my mom didn't understand the desire for a natural birth. She was perfectly content with csections. She never understood my disappointment with my births. But she's finally stopped with encouraging me to just have anothet repeat.

I would look into hiring a doula.

2+2macht4
05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Just an another example my mom had a natural birth I had 14 hours labor followed by c section.

My mom never had problems, mine were a lack of understanding the situation and allowing poor medical intervention efforts to be made.

mama2myangels09
05-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Nope my mom had three planned c sections. I had 3 vaginal births and 1 c section and that was cause my 4th was breech.

maecuddlez
05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I told her to stop talking about it like a couple month ago. Now she starts to talk about it again. Then I have so much pain on my pelvic. I really wanna do nature birth tho. I heard I wont be able to take care myself if I got c-section. That will be hard on me without my hub.

jessicalev8
05-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Nope. My mom had 2 csections - her body would not progress past 1cm. I've had 3 (quick!) vaginal births :)

maecuddlez
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Nope. My mom had 2 csections - her body would not progress past 1cm. I've had 3 (quick!) vaginal births :)

That's awesome!!! Hopefully I will have quick birth too.

maecuddlez
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you everyone. I think I can prove to my mom now. :)

masja
05-27-2012, 12:06 PM
My mom had 2, I had 3. Both her first and my first were for the same reasons and our others scheduled sections.

jessieof5
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
my mom had 2 out of 3 kids. I am on my 4th preg and have not had any. I really dont see how hers would have any connection to yours unless you shared some kind of genetic thing like with your hips or something? I wouldnt worry about it. i never thought I would just because my mom did.

raffelsol
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
No. No one in my family ever had a c-section..on my hubby's either. My DD was really large and just wouldn't descend. I ended up with one after pushing for 2 hours, but it has nothing to do with genetics.

mamaerica
05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
My mom had 3 c-sections (the 1st one was due to failure to progress, the 2nd and 3rd were just repeat).

I have had 4 vaginal births. The first birth was very hard and I didn't progress quickly. However, they have gotten easier from there (I was in labor with the 4th for a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes).

bigmamakelsey
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Nope, it has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. A LOT can depend on weather you have a c-section or not - her medical history/conditions, her pelvic size, medicines or drugs during labor, overdue/premature, water breaking, long labors, ect.

eahcapemay
05-29-2012, 02:30 AM
My mom and grandmother both had c-sections I had a natural birth. You can do this! Will you have someone with you during labor who is supportive of a natural or at least vaginal birth?

maecuddlez
05-29-2012, 03:38 AM
My mom and grandmother both had c-sections I had a natural birth. You can do this! Will you have someone with you during labor who is supportive of a natural or at least vaginal birth?

Everyone I've known here support the natural birth. The thing I feel like I don't want anyone in there with me at all. I just moved here and then it makes me feel uncomfortable to have someone I'm not really close to be in the room. My mom and hub couldn't be here.

I want natural birth tho so I think I will be fine. Doctor also never offer c-section to me. I've heard hospital here in Okinawa wont let you have c-section unless you really need it. :)

Lovinmama3
05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
My mom had 3 natural, vaginal births and I've had 2 c-sections. No link there at all and honestly I would tell your mom to shut her trap, lol.

I_am_Blessed
05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I was disappointed that I didn't follow my mom's footsteps with labor/delivery. My sister and I practically fell out of her (I was the longer labor of the 2 at a whopping 45 minutes). My sister has had 4 children, and all were extremely quick/easy births. I on the other hand, ended up with an emergency CS with DD, and will be having my third CS with DS2 next Friday. I get a tad jealous thinking about how lucky they were to have their babies naturally, but know that it really doesn't matter, and that I am just as lucky to have my babies out and in my arms.

dncegrl
05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
My mom didn't have a c section and I have had 2.

slimy72
05-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't think they are related. My mom had 4 natural births, big babies too. A nine pounder a ten pounder, and then my other brother and I at just over seven pounds. No problems, no meds to induce, all was well. I thought that meant that's how it would go for me too. Nope, I ended up with a C section, and yes you are right you won't be in much shape to be alone after. I needed help for several weeks after. My sister in laws who had natural births were up and around in a day or two. If you can try for the natural birth, I've only had a csection and I wish I'd had another option. Can you hire a doula in Japan? They are a labor coach who can help you achieve the birth you want. Good luck, you aren't doomed just because your mom is trying to scare you. And in the long run, a c section isn't the end of the world if it does happen. I still have a happy healthy baby same as someone who delivered naturally.

Computermama
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
without knowing why your mother or grandmother had a section, there's no way of telling. If it's something that's potentially genetic - ie a medical condition that makes it unwise to birth vaginally or a predisposition to small pelvic openings, then maybe. Chances are outside something like that, no, their sections won't affect your chances of having a natural birth.

~Cricket~
05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Nope - my mom had 8 c-sections, and my sister and I have each had uncomplicated vaginal deliveries.
If you're going to be delivering on you own, I HIGHLY recommend a doula!
All the best for a wonderful, natural birth, :)

songbird516
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
A friend of mine's mom had 3 c-sections, and absolutely tried to tell her that she would have one too. My friend had a high-risk pregnancy and a posterior baby, and still birthed vaginally after 36 hours! She was determined and had a supportive doctor and nurses.

maecuddlez
05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think they are related. My mom had 4 natural births, big babies too. A nine pounder a ten pounder, and then my other brother and I at just over seven pounds. No problems, no meds to induce, all was well. I thought that meant that's how it would go for me too. Nope, I ended up with a C section, and yes you are right you won't be in much shape to be alone after. I needed help for several weeks after. My sister in laws who had natural births were up and around in a day or two. If you can try for the natural birth, I've only had a csection and I wish I'd had another option. Can you hire a doula in Japan? They are a labor coach who can help you achieve the birth you want. Good luck, you aren't doomed just because your mom is trying to scare you. And in the long run, a c section isn't the end of the world if it does happen. I still have a happy healthy baby same as someone who delivered naturally.

I only know one doula here. She ask for 300$ which I cant afford it. I later save that fund for my baby. I think I may ask my friends stay there with me cuz they really support me about that.

I will prop avoid my mom tho. She will freak me out again. haha That sounds bad by avoid but I dont wanna depress when I try to push my baby.

Thank you for your advice. :)

maecuddlez
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
A friend of mine's mom had 3 c-sections, and absolutely tried to tell her that she would have one too. My friend had a high-risk pregnancy and a posterior baby, and still birthed vaginally after 36 hours! She was determined and had a supportive doctor and nurses.

That's awesome but I don't wanna be in long labor tho. Hopefully mine will be quicker than that. I really believe I will have vagina birth cuz stuff at hospital really support and like I mention they wont schedule c-section to anyone unless it's really bad case. :thumbsup:

MyBelgianAzzy
05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
I was born via c-section, but pushed my daughter out after about 24 hours of labor. I had some intervention (epidural LOVE) and had her in a hospital.

maecuddlez
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I was born via c-section, but pushed my daughter out after about 24 hours of labor. I had some intervention (epidural LOVE) and had her in a hospital.

Everyone keeps telling me to take epidural. Haha. They said take it whenever stuff offer it. Do not wait! So yup I will go with that.

I'm too scared to feel the pain and long labor.

shan1212
06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
No one in my family had ever had a c/s before I had one with my first daughter, but my father's mother had a hard time delivering him. At 36 weeks my OB always told me my pelvis was horrible - platypelloid and narrow and she said there was "no way" I could have a baby vaginally. But by the end of my pregnancy my pelvis opened a lot and was even called "roomy." Anyway, I wonder if I could have gotten my paternal grandmother's pelvis because my mom and sister had no problems. I believe if my pelvis did play a role in my first c-section, it was a minor one, because I went on to have a VBAC with my second child. (With my first the problem was too many unnecessary interventions, IMO.)

songbird516
06-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Everyone keeps telling me to take epidural. Haha. They said take it whenever stuff offer it. Do not wait! So yup I will go with that.

I'm too scared to feel the pain and long labor.

I'm not anti-epidural, but the attitude of "take whatever they offer whenever" is not always the best idea, especially if you don't have care providers who are very pro-vaginal birth. A woman who has an epidural is often limited to bed (can make labor longer), and also the epidural comes with lots of potential complications like making your blood pressure go down (not good for baby or mom) or causing a fever which leads to antibiotics...etc. Also, a baby that is posterior may need mom to get out of bed or into other positions that are much more difficult to do with an epidural. Not impossible, but difficult, and many times nurses/doctors won't tell mom "your baby is in an unfavorable position". Instead they say "your pelvis is too small", which is really often not the case.
Epidurals can be great, but if you go into labor afraid of a long labor and afraid of the pain...you are setting yourself up for all kinds of interventions and complications. It's best to avoid the epidural, or to get it after you've already progressed quite a bit in your labor, and to be an active participant and decision-maker.
And honestly, you never know what your labor will be like, so don't freak yourself out unnecessarily. Do everything you can to make it as easy as possible (eat a good diet with lots of vitamin D, exercise, avoid an induction, etc), and then when the time comes, take it one contraction at a time and see what happens and how you feel about it.

maecuddlez
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not anti-epidural, but the attitude of "take whatever they offer whenever" is not always the best idea, especially if you don't have care providers who are very pro-vaginal birth. A woman who has an epidural is often limited to bed (can make labor longer), and also the epidural comes with lots of potential complications like making your blood pressure go down (not good for baby or mom) or causing a fever which leads to antibiotics...etc. Also, a baby that is posterior may need mom to get out of bed or into other positions that are much more difficult to do with an epidural. Not impossible, but difficult, and many times nurses/doctors won't tell mom "your baby is in an unfavorable position". Instead they say "your pelvis is too small", which is really often not the case.
Epidurals can be great, but if you go into labor afraid of a long labor and afraid of the pain...you are setting yourself up for all kinds of interventions and complications. It's best to avoid the epidural, or to get it after you've already progressed quite a bit in your labor, and to be an active participant and decision-maker.
And honestly, you never know what your labor will be like, so don't freak yourself out unnecessarily. Do everything you can to make it as easy as possible (eat a good diet with lots of vitamin D, exercise, avoid an induction, etc), and then when the time comes, take it one contraction at a time and see what happens and how you feel about it.

I honestly think about use no drug for a couple day. I feel like what if my labor is just easier when compare to another people. I wanna go over my birth plan again. I will need to talk to my hub about it. I know he will always support me but I still need to think over it.

I feel like everyone keep telling about epidural that why I wanna go with it. I don't know it still looks scary to put something in my spine tho. Ugh.. I really don't know what to do.

Maybe I shud go with the flow. Haha.

eahcapemay
06-03-2012, 02:39 AM
I honestly think about use no drug for a couple day. I feel like what if my labor is just easier when compare to another people. I wanna go over my birth plan again. I will need to talk to my hub about it. I know he will always support me but I still need to think over it.

I feel like everyone keep telling about epidural that why I wanna go with it. I don't know it still looks scary to put something in my spine tho. Ugh.. I really don't know what to do.

Maybe I shud go with the flow. Haha.

Unless I knew someone was natural birth friendly I didn't even bother telling them I wasn't planning on getting an epi. I hate the way people try to scare new mothers. Yes, giving birth sucks. But so do many things in life that you don't get a baby out of. People told me I couldn't give birth with out drugs, that I would quit using cloth diapers after a month, that I'd give up breast feeding the moment ds got teeth. You know what? They were all wrong. Don't let 'em scare you.

That said- if YOU want an epi then you should get one. You don't have to go in to the hospital and have one right away. You can feel it out and then decide.

maecuddlez
06-20-2012, 01:48 AM
So just the update. I had my baby with emergency c-section. It's not about my pelvic or anything. It's about the baby heart rate dropped and risk for both of us.

He's healthy and born with 6 lbs and 54 oz. :)

babylove921
06-24-2012, 11:14 AM

So true. I haven't had any c sections but my 1st birth I was given the Epidural at only 3cm at 5am. I didn't have him until 5:15pm. I couldn't move, had to have a cathetor(yuck). The epidural failed by 1 hour later. No one offered me anything else. Pretty much just made to deal with it. (I have scoleosis, makes epidural hard to place)
It was an awful birth.
2nd baby- I walked into the hospital at 4cm. The pain was still pretty managable. I walked the halls for an hour or so. Came back to the room at a 5, and 100% with a bulging bag of water. Decided to get the epidural. I was checked right after it was placed and was 6cm, bag broke. Literally an hour or so later baby boy was born.
I know that 1 hour of walking made all the difference.