PDA

View Full Version : Wondering..how many hours...

court3189
07-27-2012, 12:42 AM
per week do most homeschooled children spend sitting quietly being 'taught'? I've sometimes casually mentioned the idea, but wondered how much learning can be incorporated into hands on activities, versus how much occurs in a traditional 'schooling' format?

littlemsmom
07-27-2012, 04:25 AM
We don't sit quietly at all. Since I have 3 young kids to teach our school day is pretty much controlled chaos for 2-3 hours a day. Seems like they are only "quiet" when I'm reading to them.

tibeca
07-27-2012, 07:37 AM
There is no "traditional" schooling in our homeschool. Since it is just DD1 (4yo) and DD2 (20 mo) we do only hands on activities. We have board games, drawing, reading stories, chalk, etc. DD is well in advance of kindergarten level, and she wouldn't start for another school year (so 2 years ahead). No need to sit them down and force teach them (IMO).

alyssa&rylan's-mommy
07-27-2012, 08:11 AM
The only time that we're actually doing "quiet learning" is when DD wants to work in her workbooks (which she loves!). My children are 3.5 and almost 5 though, so a lot of what we do is hands on.

MamaNae
07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
My oldest is 7.5 and working at a 3rd grade level, he spends roughly 2-3hrs doing bookwork/reading/being taught a day. BUT he has a pretty mellow personality so it works for him.

We're going to be beginning K with my 4.5 year old and pre-k with my 2.5 year old this year and I don't foresee any 'quiet' time for them. It's all very hands on, small and gross motor learning. That is what they need.

JennTheMomma
07-27-2012, 08:20 AM
It varies from week to week. Depends on what we're doing that week. I try to do atleast 1 hour of workbook/worksheet time (which ds1 likes) and then we do a lot of hands on and real life experience schooling.

iris0110
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I think it depends on the child, grade level and curriculum you use. My kids are 6 and almost 11 and we use a school at home type model (getting a bit away from it with my youngest) so we spend more of our time working quietly. Kearnan spends an hour or so on his Saxon math, then he moves on to spelling, writing and reading (either comprehension with me which he reads out loud but still is traditional school style no up running around, or reading a book to himself quietly) and then we do history or science which I read to the kids. There are usually projects that go with our history and science. Tharen also sits for his phonics, spelling and math before moving on to history and science. His math and phonics are on the computer. As we enter 2nd grade Tharen will be using a new math program with more hands on math but phonics, spelling and grammar will still mostly be book work.

hac1224
07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
We don't sit quietly at all. Since I have 3 young kids to teach our school day is pretty much controlled chaos for 2-3 hours a day. Seems like they are only "quiet" when I'm reading to them.

Ditto! If I wanted them to sit quietly for hours on end, I would send them to public school. :mrgreen:

HeatherlovesCDs
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
We school about 2hrs a day with my 1st and tag-along pre-k'ers, but it isn't quietly working. LOL! We do some worksheet type pages and such, but not all that and with lots of littles around, I wouldn't say it is traditional schooling or quietly schooling.

AbbieJack
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Umm.... They are hardly ever sitting quietly . While I'm reading is about the only time.

tallanvor
07-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I think it depends on the child, grade level and curriculum you use.

I agree. It is much easier to do hands-on learning with minimal traditional school learning when they are younger vs middle school age. And it definitely depends on the child. My oldest daughter needs a good blend of hands-on and book learning, whereas my son does fine with a more traditional schooling style. I'm not yet sure about my youngest, as she's just 5 and all we've done with her is reading and math (both quite hands-on at this point).

Now, I will say, though, that my oldest is going into 7th grade, and when she sits down and does her work, it typically does not take more than about 3- 3 1/2 hours for her to finish. That is a combination of hands-on and traditional textbook/workbook work.

fawnlovesjasper
07-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure I know what you mean by sitting quietly being taught...

Our lessons are 100% interactive, it's a discussion never a lecture.

LindsayNErik
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I HS my K'er,and her quiet sit down time is about 90 minutes a day. We do reading (her to me,and me to her),math,handwriting,etc at the kitchen counter. I actually think it is quite age appropriate and good for her to focus. We make sure to have lots of wiggly time with songs,games,free play and outside time,too.

ktmelody
07-28-2012, 01:28 AM
For kinder we do 2 hours, 2-3 hours for my 1st grader, 3-4 hours for my 4th grader and my teens are required by me to be doing some schoolwork for 5-6 hours a day. (sitting down, reading, worksheets, penmanship, art etc)

Then we do other learning activities that are not structured throughout the day.

court3189
07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses!!!

2queens&1princenmyhouse
07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm still new to this, but with my 4th and 6th graders, they have a majority of sit down do your own work type things (math, grammar, spelling, writing). For Science and History, we read aloud and discuss and then have projects that go along with the lesson-it's not totally hands-on, but very age appropriate IMO.

For DS, he only sits when he's working on reading with me and he dislikes even that little bit of sitting. He's usually counting while jumping, doing a dot to dot and running around the room between numbers, flipping off the couch between each letter he writes, etc. It's kind of dizzying, but he gets it done. And--that sounds like we're working forever--we really only work on "school" about 15 minutes each day! :)

Candy Lee
07-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm still new to this, but with my 4th and 6th graders, they have a majority of sit down do your own work type things (math, grammar, spelling, writing). For Science and History, we read aloud and discuss and then have projects that go along with the lesson-it's not totally hands-on, but very age appropriate IMO.

This is very much like us. With my 4th and 6th graders, much of their work requires sitting still and working independently. We go over new things at first and then they work on their own until they get it all done, unless they have a question, and then I help them. They do science and history together.

With my youngest, who is just starting Kindergarten, we do more interactive things, though he does enjoy doing seatwork.

All my boys are low key kind of kids, and they prefer to get their work done and get on with their day. We work for around 3-3.5 hours most days.

cowangel
07-30-2012, 12:20 AM

For DS, he only sits when he's working on reading with me and he dislikes even that little bit of sitting. He's usually counting while jumping, doing a dot to dot and running around the room between numbers, flipping off the couch between each letter he writes, etc. It's kind of dizzying, but he gets it done. And--that sounds like we're working forever--we really only work on "school" about 15 minutes each day! :)

This gives me hope :) - I'll be HS'ing my 1st grader this year for the first time and I totally know this is how he will be :)

my2sweets
07-30-2012, 06:13 AM
We have school anywhere from 1-3hrs 4days a week. About half the time Im instructing and the other they are working independently, working together, or we're playing games. Eta-they are in 2nd and K

yellowitchgrl
07-30-2012, 08:00 PM
depends on the kid- my oldest? Hours upon hours, probably 50-60 per week and he'd be good (I poop out first!). My youngest, maybe 3 hours a week.