PDA

View Full Version : If you were NIP...

bethanyjoy
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
...would you rather hear no comment or a positive comment?

I've been seeing more and more moms NIP lately (YAY!!! :happyclap: ) and every time I do I wonder if it would be appropriate to make a positive comment or if it's better to be quiet.

On the one hand, I want to encourage them, kwim? But....I don't want to make them uncomfortable, or think that they're being obvious...in most cases, I only know they are nursing because I've BTDT. :giggle:

What do you think? What specificially would you like to hear or NOT hear? :popcorn:

CMamma
06-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna need a def of NIP... b/c all I'm coming up w/is "New in package" LOL TIA

ocfb16
06-16-2006, 02:53 PM
took me a mintute too...lol!

Nursing in public

wbkt8
06-16-2006, 02:54 PM
i'm not sure bethany. i've seen a few other moms nip and felt like i wanted to say something, but the opportunity didn't really present itself. i do usually try to smile at them though. i guess i've only had like one or two comments (both positive/neutral) while NIP and really they were more about breastfeeding than the NIP aspect of it.

bethanyjoy
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm gonna need a def of NIP... b/c all I'm coming up w/is "New in package" LOL TIA

:spit: :rofl:

As the PP said...nursing in public...now I'm seriously LMBO though...

bethanyjoy
06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
i'm not sure bethany. i've seen a few other moms nip and felt like i wanted to say something, but the opportunity didn't really present itself. i do usually try to smile at them though. i guess i've only had like one or two comments (both positive/neutral) while NIP and really they were more about breastfeeding than the NIP aspect of it.

I'm torn between not wanting to make somebody uncomfortable, and yet wondering if a word of encouragement might be helpful, kwim? Tough one...

wbkt8
06-16-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm torn between not wanting to make somebody uncomfortable, and yet wondering if a word of encouragement might be helpful, kwim? Tough one...

well, you know if someone came up and commented on how much they loved dd's diapers and that they use cloth too, i would be thrilled. so i think that if someone else who NIPs came up and said something about how great they thought it was, etc. i probably would be happy about it.

CMamma
06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
:spit: :rofl:

As the PP said...nursing in public...now I'm seriously LMBO though...

So long as I made someone smile :)

Ok... I smile at moms when I see them NIP. I had someone give me a card that said thanks for nursing in public once & it totally made my day. Another time a gramma age lady came up to me while I was nursing & told me "Oh it's so great to see a young mom brave all the stares so she can feed her baby right." & that made my day too! I have cards I carry now that say a short thank you for NIP...

kissum
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I'd love for someone to come up to me and say good for you :)

Kimmomy2dom
06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Those cards would be nice. LOL, I might feel a little geeky walking up to someone and getting in their face and thanking them for it in person, though. DH tells me I'm too forward a lot of the time - so I try to pay attention to that, LOL. I dunno... I guess I would just smile. You could always try it once and see what happens, though!

lilmama2dsndd
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I would definately go with the card idea, that way you can give encouragement (which is always appreciated) without drawing extra attention to the nursing mom. That being said, I always love it when someone applauds me for NIP, makes me feel even more brave. When I see another mother NIP I smile and give a little :thumbsup: for encouragement without extra attention.

mommy2zander
06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I would love it if someone approached me to say Yay for breastfeeding!!

But I do know what you mean about not being sure if you should say anything!! On one hand, I want to shout, "Yay!!" But on the other hand, I don't want to seem weird or scare people!! :giggle:

I have a similar feeling when I see other mama's wearing their children in slings!! I guess then I don't feel as weird saying "Yay" for babywearing though, because it isn't as private as nursing... Not that I consider nursing too private for others to comment (approvingly), but I wouldn't want to affend a mama or family that did...

Irishmommy
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I usually just smile and say, "Good for you!" That way only the other mom knows really what I'm talking about. That way I'm not singling out NIP, just giving a word of encouragement.

bamamom
06-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I always just smile, and try to look knowing, as in "I've done that a million times!!"

If the opportunity affords, I always say something like...Oh, how sweet! I remember those days of nursing in Walmart,
(or wherever!).

I literally nursed wherever i was...I never had any one ever say anything bad, and i also had an old granny woman comment on how sweet ...

stopka7224
06-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I thought new in package also.... :giggle: is that a sign??

I would be cool with some props. Nursing rocks.. where ever you choose to do it! :hugegrin:

Quisalas
06-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Yanno, I always hoped someone would say something snippy to me, just so I could tell them off! Can you tell I'm a bit of a confrontationist? I've never had anyone say anything about my nursing, except for my cousin's husband who caught sight of me and turned and ran away. :laugh:

I would rather have a "right on!" and maybe have that lead to conversation so that I could end up with more friends who breastfeed (or have babies at all.. only one of my friends do!) and understand the importance of it. But at the same time, struggling with my squirmy worm and trying to nurse discreetly isn't exactly when I feel up to conversation. The cards are nice, I think I'd keep it in my baby's book so she can see how much it meant to me to nurse her when she was a baby, and hopefully make the same decision herself.

I met a woman at Walmart wearing her son in a sling, and if she hadn't come up to me to chat about the sling (and cloth diapers, as it turned out!) we never would have become friends, so I'd say take the initiative and talk to a woman nursing and encourage her. Anything to make a nursing in public mom feel more empowered is good by me.

Kele
06-18-2006, 06:30 AM
I always want to say something, but somehow feel that I'd be a 'weirdo' for noticing and speaking up. I try to just smile, but then I probably look creepy! I'm just too self-conscious.
I have gotten a couple props from older ladies, though and it is like a rush! KWIM? I would love to give that same feeling to others.

Fullhouse
06-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I smile at them. I'm usually wearing one and herding three, so they know I'm not a sicko try to "look".

FancifulFanny
06-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm one of those that would prefer that people not say anything to me. It's not supposed to be a big deal so I prefer that it be handled with nonchalance. I was also very private about it and uncomfortable NIP and avoided it most of the time. DS was a fussy nurser and would flail and move around so have the time I was simply exposing myself - and this was whether we were out or at home. He seems to equate eating with exercise.:laugh:

One of the few times I wore him in a sling anywhere someone told me I shouldn't do that, that it was bad for my back. I told her, I didn't think I'd asked for her opinion and walked off. I mean seriously folks...BITE ME! If you don't have anything nice to say...shut the hell up!

marelle4381
06-18-2006, 06:57 PM
when I was nursing in public, I would have appreciated someone saying good job. I just felt so uncomfortable like someone was going to come up and yell at me. I started out by just doing it in public restrooms, standing there and holding Kaden. Very uncomfortable, but then I got over myself and didn't care anymore. Still would have been nice to here someone congratulate me so I didn't feel like I was embarassing some people.

Fullhouse
06-18-2006, 07:18 PM
One of the few times I wore him in a sling anywhere someone told me I shouldn't do that, that it was bad for my back. I told her, I didn't think I'd asked for her opinion and walked off. I mean seriously folks...BITE ME! If you don't have anything nice to say...shut the hell up!

LOL! I have had so many older women tell me that! I just say "Having kids isn't good for my back".

negrapy
06-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm one of those that would prefer that people not say anything to me. It's not supposed to be a big deal so I prefer that it be handled with nonchalance. I was also very private about it and uncomfortable NIP and avoided it most of the time. DS was a fussy nurser and would flail and move around so have the time I was simply exposing myself - and this was whether we were out or at home. He seems to equate eating with exercise.:laugh:

Hi Maryann :)
I'm glad to know I don't have the only one who thinks eating is a time to excerise. At least I know I'll never be afraid he is going to get cramps from swimming after eating the way he "swims" while he eats now LOL
I'm kinda with you... I don't mind a nice smile but I guess I kinda prefer just when nobody really notices
:headscratch: of course that is getting more and more difficult

FancifulFanny
06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi Maryann :)
I'm glad to know I don't have the only one who thinks eating is a time to excerise. At least I know I'll never be afraid he is going to get cramps from swimming after eating the way he "swims" while he eats now LOL
I'm kinda with you... I don't mind a nice smile but I guess I kinda prefer just when nobody really notices
:headscratch: of course that is getting more and more difficult

Good point!

DS is crazy, and nursing was never that nice, quiet bonding time. It was hell on a stick for me.:banghead: I would be sitting there trying to manage him and his butt would be up on my shoulder...WTH?! He is all wonderful, crazy, wild boy!

I don't know how this plays into it for everyone else but I am well endowed to begin with and have always hated people staring at my chest. So, when they got even bigger and hurt and were leaking everywhere and I had to NIP it was just very, very uncomfortable for me. I wish it weren't but...such is life.

FancifulFanny
06-18-2006, 07:52 PM
LOL! I have had so many older women tell me that! I just say "Having kids isn't good for my back".

UGH! Tell me about it...my aching back...my aching hips... my aching pelvis, my aching ankles...I could go on and on...want me to?:giggle:

Proverbs169
06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I would want to say something, but maybe not about the NIP right away. I might strike up a conversation about the baby, or something, or say that I have been in the same place and had to nurse my own baby. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all though if someone were to say something positive to me. It's nice to get encouragement.

I am the type that might have a hard time holding my tongue if someone said something negative though. Thank goodness I haven't gotten much of that.

Lucky Child
06-18-2006, 10:41 PM
I think the card is a great idea... it wouldn't bother me really if someone said something... but I am not really private about it anymore :)

emmiebaur
06-18-2006, 11:12 PM
A well timed smile or thumbs up would always be welcome!
(As well as cards, "Thank yous", etc!)

quixb
06-19-2006, 12:20 AM
With my first dd I would cover up sooooo much and then make dh stand in front of me so no one could see..............with #2 I am like dude, you dont like it, dont freking look!! I am well endowed as well and it is just to hard to try and really "conceal" EVERYTHING. Now dont get me wrong I cover up as much as I can, but it isnt easy to keep covered with a baby who loves to grab stuff!!

My SIL never did because both of her kids would moan really loud while nursing!! IT was pretty funny well for us, embaressing for her!!!!

greenkmt
06-19-2006, 06:06 AM
I have seen some mama's NIP but my DH always notices first! He is not a sicko but he says that now that I do it ALL of the time, he is trained or something :) Anyway, when I see a mama sling wearing or nursing, I always ask them if they would like to be supported by moms that nurse or sling wear too and if they would like to come to an AP or LLL meeting with me. I give them info. I wish I would have known about AP groups and LLL when I was just starting out BF! My DS is 20 months and still going strong... and BTW, we still NIP! It's not that often, but I will until he doesn't need it anymore.

aimeemarie
06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I would love someone to say something to me while I'm NIP. Yesterday I was NIP at church in the foyer and afterwards during lunch an older woman said she saw me giving my baby lunch and thought it was great that I was nursing, that it's such a special bond with your baby. I've never even seen someone NIP.

SugarBunsWool&More
06-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd love to get a pat on the back from a supportive mom when I'm NIP'ing. I feel like I'm really putting myself out there sometimes, especially with this squirmy worm, and I'd love to get a card or a smile from another mom that's BTDT.
I try to give a smile when I see someone doing it, but I always worry I look like a weirdo, since it happens most when I don't have DS!

4kidzmom
06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I would like a positive comment. I would like to give them too, but I have NO clue what I would say.

KnottyLDSMama
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I REALLY like the card idea. That's awesome.

Not that I EVER seen anyone else NIP. *shrugs*

I was wearing Xander in a wrap the other day at Sam's Club, and had a woman tell me that it was neat, but that he was going to be spoiled. Did I ask you?? Rawr.

doberbrat
06-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I think I'd rather people just smiled but I keep getting comments ;-)

I was nip at Yale law school grad and a woman ran over to tell me how nice it was that I had her in my mt and giving her lunch at this special occasion. She reallyl meant well, but it came off a tad weird to me.:headscratch:

Sat I was at a grocery store and the wailing started so I went to the rest room, washed my hands and latched her on and went out to finish up. A woman smiled at me, and came over and said Good for you! I was confused so she said you're nursing right? I said yes. She said Good for you. Thats how our Creator meant for us to feed babies. I smiled and said yes and anything is better than listening to a screaming baby:thumbsup:

of course, I've also had men at one of my dog clubs tease me and say the're next:banghead:

theelf
06-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I have had mom's approach me while nursing to say, "Gosh I remember those days! So sweet!" or "Good for you". I didn't think it was weird. They all had that BTDT tone (or had one with them). I always appreciated it. I never felt like I wasn't being discreet or anything. It was nice to be acknowledged in a positive manner. So many people are negative. I say go for it!

Kim M.

bethanyjoy
06-20-2006, 02:40 PM
So the general opinion seems to be that a positive comment, if opportunity arises, would be welcomed...good to know! :thumbsup:

betty_joanne
06-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I would rather people didn't come up to me and chat while I am nursing. In public a smile rather than a scowl is always welcomed.

Sarah
06-23-2006, 12:21 PM
We're on our 3rd baby that I've NIP and the first time I got a positive comment was last week when I was nursing Taci while we visited her great,great grandmother. The nurse in the nursing home said"You guys look so comfortable,I'm glad to see somebody nursing in public".
I've recently gotten over my fear of NIP(as long as I have a nursing shirt) and it was really encouraging to get a positive comment

Sarah

childers521
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Since Payne is prone to popping off the boob when he hears someone talking to me- it is probably best (so they don't get an eyeful of nipple) if they just give me one of those knowing smiles and maybe a quiet "good for you" from a safe distance, lol

That is what I usually do when I see someone NIP -offer a little positive reinforcement, without intruding.

Blessedmommieof3
06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd probably offer a positive comment if the opportunity was there. Like if I were sitting near someone, I might make a comment, but I'd probably just smile & keep on if she were way across the room/store/hall/etc. LOL

The ones I REALLY want to give a pat on the back to are the really YOUNG mamas! Makes me so proud to see them NIP. My nursing days are over :cry: as my babies are all growing up on me, but personally I'd welcome any positive comments - those meanies with criticism need not speak! :goodvibes:

ThreeBunniesMoma
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I guess it all depends on the kind of person you are. Some moms are very unsure about NIP while some don't care. I don't care I'll NIP anywhere anytime my baby is hungry. lol I've only recieved one good comment most of the time I get smiles of appreciation from other moms or looks of OMG from the prude moms/older women. It's not like I'm exposed and you see my breasts and everything. I have a blanket and NIP very very discreetly.

When I see a fellow moma NIP I smile in appreciation. Now if I'm sitting within ear shot of her I may make a comment but usualy a smile is a great gesture. :mrgreen:

bsydprmkn
06-23-2006, 09:14 PM
i always smile and nod to NIP.