PDA

View Full Version : Best water wrap ever!!!!!!!!

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
The other day I picked up 5 1/2 ft of gauze at the fabric store. When we went to the beach today I wrapped ds in it and he was able to get in the water but still be extremely secure. It was wonderful. He had the best time. I was'nt worried about him and could get in and out of the water with out upsetting him.

The best part was that it cost $13. How cool is that? It actually is a really nice wrap. I think that I will use it agian even out of the water.

wyldblueangel
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
have any pics?

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x80/sweetpotatoesmom/DSCN1938.jpg

fostermomcchr
06-05-2007, 09:08 PM
That is really cool! How do you tie that? I think Noah would like that better than my pouch. It really stinks when you love to babywear and your baby doesn't like it. I think he simply hates to be confined, but I wonder if that wrap style would be better for him.

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I believe it is called a cross carry but I am not sure. I looked for a link at the BTW. I found this one let me know if it is to confusing, I can find another.
http://site.peppermint.com/crosscarry.htm

hackermd
06-05-2007, 10:22 PM
That's awesome! So the fabric is Gauze?... do they carry it at most fabric stores? are they limited colors? what's it feel like? does it wash well? sorry I'm ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing... enlighten me:)

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah I bought it at the fabric store it is just solid cotton gauze. They do sell some w/ patterns though. It is really lightweight and breathable. It does'nt get hot and sweaty like some of the woven wraps. It shrinks a little bit b/c it is cotton so I bought it a little big. It did'nt shrink much though. It was nice in the water b/c it did'nt get heavy when it got wet.

Leininger27
06-05-2007, 10:30 PM
That is awesome! The instructions were super helpful as well! How do you know how much fabric to buy? I have never used a wrap because they looked so confusing. LOL

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I bought mine 5 1/2 ft b/c that is the length that I am use to using. Actually I had the women in the fabric store measure my woven wrap. I am 5'8 and like 160ish so I need more fabric than a smaller person would.

Some people find a long wrap confusing but for me the length is helpful b/c it gives me more to work w/. The best instructions for me are videos, I have trouble w/ photos.

If you have a local nino group near you that would be a god resource to find someone to show you how to wrap IRL which is very helpful.

ebutterfly782
06-06-2007, 05:54 AM
I bought some Gauze for a water wrap and some people thought it might get too heavy. I'm glad to hear that it worked! I bought some athletic mesh stuff (think basketball jersey type material) for $1 a yard at Wal-Mart. I wanted to try to make a Mei Tai out of one of those for the water. I'm glad that I can now, knowing that I have a back-up in case I really screw it up!

mrsalf97
06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
What a great idea!

fostermomcchr
06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much! I wonder if I can buy solarweave in the fabric store, I love my solarveil pouch I have, but I want more security of the wrap as well as the UV protection of the solarveil-that stuff dries faster than my swimsuit!

MyGlorylife
06-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks so much! I wonder if I can buy solarweave in the fabric store, I love my solarveil pouch I have, but I want more security of the wrap as well as the UV protection of the solarveil-that stuff dries faster than my swimsuit!

solar weave is just regular fabric treated with a sunblocking chemical. You can but that stuff and wash it into your clothes.

Where as Solarveil is all natural no chemicals!

A basic wrap length is 5 yards longs 30 inches wide. You need that width if you plan on doing all wrap carrys including back carrys.

For good videos go to mamatoto.org

for pic instructions e-mail me:thumbsup:

mrsbehaven007
06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
awsome.. I love that green color!! and would have to suggest the solarveil fabric.. it is great for the water/beach and blocks Most of the UV rays :thumbsup: and dries quickly... there is a solarveil co-op going on right now.. for 5$ and some change a yard!!

fostermomcchr
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
solar weave is just regular fabric treated with a sunblocking chemical. You can but that stuff and wash it into your clothes.

A basic wrap length is 5 yards longs 30 inches wide. You need that width if you plan on doing all wrap carrys including back carrys.

Oh, I thought solarweave and solarveil were similar, but the weave is softer? I would love pics, I am sending you an email and then I am off to search for a solaeveil coop!

fostermomcchr
06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
awsome.. I love that green color!! and would have to suggest the solarveil fabric.. it is great for the water/beach and blocks Most of the UV rays :thumbsup: and dries quickly... there is a solarveil co-op going on right now.. for 5$ and some change a yard!!

I can't find the solarveil coop, can you send me a link? I would love to get enough for a wrap.

Mickiswing
06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't find the solarveil coop, can you send me a link? I would love to get enough for a wrap.

Ditto! I'd love to find some for cheap as well!

Now is the time of year to buy cotton gauze. JoAnn's and Hancock's have it, and if you check the $1 table at Walmart, they usually have a ton. And at 6o" wide you can cut it in half and have two. Two wraps for $5!

msmamabear
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
oooo I am so excited to try it! I think my hubby will go for it faster then the $70 gypsy mama i want...

phantomripples
06-08-2007, 06:40 PM
great idea I m gonna have to try that next time we go camping :thumbsup:

VanIslander
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Cool! I'm gonna try that too. It sounds perfect for summer:thumbsup:

newmom91403
06-09-2007, 03:02 PM

can the solarveil be used for a wrap? Is it strong enough?
Thanks

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
hey mama, where is the co-op for the solarveil co-op?? anyone pm her:D

MyGlorylife
06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
can the solarveil be used for a wrap? Is it strong enough?
Thanks

yep you sure can!!!

and here is the co-op link...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solarveilcoop/

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks mama, i just requested to join this solarveil co-op.:)

robinsoncasa
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Ohhh, going to have to try that one...very cute and looks quite functional

mercy589
06-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I see this is an older thread, but I'm curious about the co-op, is it running constantly or what? Is it the same stuff as from solarveil.com? I think I want to try and get in if I can!

misifer
06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I LOVE the green and was thinking about getting some gauze just to have other wrap/color options. Good to know it works awesome in water too though! Did the gauze seem breathable? Did you have to serge/hem the edges? :)

MyGlorylife
06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I see this is an older thread, but I'm curious about the co-op, is it running constantly or what? Is it the same stuff as from solarveil.com? I think I want to try and get in if I can!

It is very much still up and going and yes it is Solarveil- bought from the Solerveil company aka solarveil.com!

TruHope
06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Ooooooooooh that looks nice I think I need to get to the fabric store, we are going to be at the pool A LOT this summer!! THANKS!!

mercy589
06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
It is very much still up and going and yes it is Solarveil- bought from the Solerveil company aka solarveil.com!

Thanks! I joined the co-op, or applied to it anyway, so I'll be able to check out the details then. I wonder how long it would take them to get it to me? I guess it depends on how much they get ordered at a time? Thanks for the link though, it looks promising! :)

*mama~
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Yep.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x80/sweetpotatoesmom/DSCN1938.jpg

Did you have to hem the gauze? I don't own a sewing machine so if I can just leave the ends raw Yay! If not I might be better off just buying a premade one to save the hassle.

THANKS!!

Mickiswing
06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
There's a chapter on the Tummy2Tummy video that tells you how to do a no-sew gauze wrap. You just take the unfinished ends, and fold it in thirds over and over again until you can't anymore. Then take a heavy rubber band and wrap it around tightly. Then you kind of tuck the elastic end inside the gathering that happens when you fold it so it's hidden. It looked fine afterwards.

Let me know if I need to explain it better :)

blaqpearl
06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Awesome. I love the green. I was thinking if the solarveil pouch doesnt work, I can use this. The best part is that I already have a DIY gauze wrap. But I will have to check the $1 table at Wally World.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
what is the gauze used, does the bunlde at wally world say gauze or is it that crinkle cotton, is it the 50% poly/50% cotton mix or the 100% polyester fabric? i bought some fabric yesterday, says 100% polyester but it feels more silky and not scratchy..
i want to make a wrap since i cant afford to buy one..lol

Sweetpotatoesmom
06-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I did'nt hem the edges but they did fray after washing but not enough to bother me, and they did not effect it's function. I bought it larger in width so I just fold the two sides in which hides the frays. My mil says that stitchwitchery would work as well b/c I do not sew.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-20-2007, 03:09 PM
so what material is it:D is it cottony or scratchy?

newtocding
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
LOVE THE GREEN!!!! and I love DIY wraps... I only have 4, guess I'm heading to the fabric store to try and find some lime green!!