PDA

View Full Version : Cous Cous and baked bean recipes

kotzally
06-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Looking for recipes with cous cous, my husband doesn't think its tasty enough!

And I'd love to have the recipe for the hamburger and bean dish that is somewhat sweet......seems like its got lima, white, black, brown sugar, hamburger and I don't know what else!!

Mommabean
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I got some whole wheat cous cous and a jar of Indian Relish (almost like a salsa with Indian spices) from Trader Joe's. Browned up some chicken breasts and diced them. Mixed the chicken, cooked cous cous, and relish together for a YUMMY and EASY meal!

Mom2Natalya
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
one of my fave couscous recipes
:)

Mediterranean Vegetables with Couscous

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts*
lemon pepper seasoning*
2 c chicken broth (canned is fine; add water to make 2 c)*
1 package Near East Garlic and Olive Oil couscous
2 T olive oil
1 small zucchini, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
¼ c finely chopped red onion (white onion fine in a pinch)
3 cloves garlic
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
½ can brine cured olives, chopped (plain black olives are fine too)
4 t fresh lemon juice
½ t salt
1/8 t ground black pepper

Heat chicken broth to boiling in medium-sized saucepan. Stir in couscous; cover and set aside until liquid is absorbed—about 10 minutes.
Cut up chicken breasts and cook in skillet. Use lemon pepper seasoning to spice up the chicken. Set cooked chicken aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. (I do not use the same one I used for the chicken.) Add zucchini, green and red peppers, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes
Stir in chick peas, tomato and olives, gently heat through
Add lemon juice, salt and pepper
Add chicken and couscous and mix thoroughly.
Serve with Monterrey jack cheese and various spices on the side. (cayenne pepper, for example.)

Notes:

* by omitting chicken and chicken broth this becomes a good vegetarian dish
--This was originally a recipe for a cold couscous salad, but with a few changes it becomes a vegetable-dense meal; substitute any veggies for those you don't like, or omit and add what you want
--probably serves about 6. It makes enough for dinner for two keeps well for a few days of lunches after
--though there is a lot of chopping, the preparation is easy

TeneikM
06-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm lazy with my cous cous :laugh: I just throw in Just Tomatoes Veggies, mushrooms, onions, etc. Whatever we feel like that night.

Lulu
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I make a couscous salad that varies with whatever ingredients I have in the house. Usually I put in a can of chickpeas, a can of corn, chopped red and green pepper and cucumber. I season it with a little lemon juice, salt, cayenne pepper, and a tiny bit of cinnamon. It is a pretty filling dish and makes a good lunch all on its own.

kocho
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry this is off-topic, but where do you find cous cous in the store? I can't find it!!

Rachel Ray usually uses chicken brooth to make it instead of water to give it more flavor.

Mom2Natalya
06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry this is off-topic, but where do you find cous cous in the store? I can't find it!!

Rachel Ray usually uses chicken brooth to make it instead of water to give it more flavor.

it's with the rice - usually near products like rice-a-roni and things. My local Wal-Mart doesn't carry it, but the regular grocers do.