PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to have a rooster in a residential neighborhood?

Ooey
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
It should be :mad: :banghead:

I'm so so so sick of our neighbor's rooster, every single gosh darn morring from about 7am to 11am :banghead: it's ****-a-doodle-doo!!! Squak squaaak!!!!!!!

I don't even know which house it is coming from either :headscratch: I'm about ready to go rooster hunting though, this is ridiculous! I especially feel bad for my DH who works nights and doesn't get to bed until 4-5 am, then is disturbed by the stupid rooster and the dog barking at it. It didn't use to be so bad, the rooster must have had his schedual screwed up because he would start later in the day like around 11-12.

Why would they have that here anyway?

Ooey
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
it's ****-a-doodle-doo!!! Squak squaaak!!!!!!!

:rofl:

GrahamBaby4
07-11-2007, 12:25 PM
LOL! Sorry, we have tons in our "neighborhood" there were even some in our more residential (smaller lot) neighborhood before we moved.
However, my biggest deal isn't the roosters here, its the darned Goats next door!!! They sound like babies crying most of the night.

Hopper Graphics
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you within city limits? If so, I believe that's illegal. You could always call animal control, give them your address, and see if they do anything about it!

Ooey
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Are you within city limits? If so, I believe that's illegal. You could always call animal control, give them your address, and see if they do anything about it!
Yeah we are, not far from the town square, hmm maybe I will, I hate to taddle though :giggle: I wish I knew who they belonged to, I would at least have my dh go talk to them first.

mama23boys
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
my aunt had roosters behind her house for the LONGEST time and it was the same deal.

call animal control and ask.

BTW you can ask them to not identify you or just dont leave your name.

kalebnlillismomma
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes it is. I saw it on some tv show and they had to either get rid of the rooster or take it out of city limits. You also can't have more than 5 dogs. I would check with your city hall to find uot what your laws are there. I hate roosters btw:banghead: We don't live within city limits and I hear one ight now.

GracieGooseSC
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I believe it is illegal inside city limits. Other than that, if you are outside the city limits it depends on subdivsion rules. :goodvibes:

tiredmommyof8
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
:goodvibes: If there is a rooster there must be a hen. Maybe they might give you fresh eggs :thumbsup: . I miss our rooster. A fox ate him.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
LOL I feel ya! We have 27 chickens!! 3 ducks and a turkey!

If you are in the city limits you NEED to call animal control. If they only have one or two roosters chances are they might be fightin chickens :banghead: .. And if that is the case then they need to be removed from that situation. GL :hugs:

BTW, I would not have dh go talk to them. If they are fighten the roosters then they most likely are not nice ppl.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
:goodvibes: If there is a rooster there must be a hen. Maybe they might give you fresh eggs :thumbsup: . I miss our rooster. A fox ate him.

We can not wait to have our fresh eggs. We have Americono chicks.. AKA Easter chickens. They lay diff colored eggs. We are thinking that we will average about 25-30 eggs a day. I can't wait.

Oceanwaveshimd
07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
It depends on how you are zoned. When I lived in Philly I worked in an area that was comprised of small townhouses with very small yards, but you would be amazed how many people had roosters, chickens and even pigs. The poor animals didn't have that much room to move around, but as long as they were being cared properly, it was perfectly legal.

gigglegirl
07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Whether or not it is illegal is going to depend on your city ordinances. If there is a community website, I'd check it out first and see what you can find. Some communities make stipulations for livestock like horses, pigs, etc., but they may not include chickens. Irregardless, almost every community does have a noise ordinance and if the thing is doing his performance really early or late at night, then they are in violation on that. Once you know what the laws are, I'd probably try to find out who has the thing and like you said have DH go and talk to them about it. If they don't do anything or get rude about it, then call AC and let them know about the annoyance.

razz116
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Have I heard this rooster? That is so crazy...but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Nathan said to call the cops and see if they can be ticketed for a civil ordinance or something.

Ashwin'sMommy
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Kaela - yeah, I think it is! But a call to Animal Control will confirm it and handle it if it is. If not, you might need to ask around and appraoch them asking them if there is any way they would consider "relocating" it LOL!

GL!

Tara

Lisa-Rachelle
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, having particular livestock within city limits is a violation of city ordinance. MOST cities prevent owning a rooster in city limits, but it can vary place to place.

Best thing to do would be to call Animal Control and just ask. Most likely what would happen is the owner would be given a notice and asked to remove the animal in a certain timeframe. If they failed to do so, they would be fined and the animal removed.

Again, the proceedure varies place to place.

Im sorry, Kaela! That HAS to be annoying.

Bluemoon
07-11-2007, 03:28 PM
if they are using "farm animals" as food then its legal in most areas. but as pets it is not. I have to say i would be ticked too. with 5 children and being preggo sleep is a precious comatity :lostit:
barbara

Monkeytaylz
07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Not illegal here!! Chickens and roosters are allowed in the city limits!!

CadenJames062503
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Usually roosters are either not allowed or only one is allowed. I would just check with your city ordinance. Honestly I love the sound of Roosters! :)

CarrieMF
07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Different cities have different rules.

Here I don't know if chickens/roosters are allowed, but in some places you can have 2 or 3 of them. same with goats. Here you can have 2 dogs/household members. Because there are 6 of us we could have 12 dogs here.

Ima_to_6
07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
****-a-doodle-doo!!!

:laugh:

It's pretty funny that that is bleeped out.

Chock-a-doodle-doooooooooo.:lostit:

opheliabliss
07-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah we are, not far from the town square, hmm maybe I will, I hate to taddle though :giggle: I wish I knew who they belonged to, I would at least have my dh go talk to them first.

I love your town square!!! Even if there are cameras :giggle:

hackermd
07-11-2007, 07:06 PM
It should be :mad: :banghead:

I'm so so so sick of our neighbor's rooster, every single gosh darn morring from about 7am to 11am :banghead: it's ****-a-doodle-doo!!! Squak squaaak!!!!!!!

I don't even know which house it is coming from either :headscratch: I'm about ready to go rooster hunting though, this is ridiculous! I especially feel bad for my DH who works nights and doesn't get to bed until 4-5 am, then is disturbed by the stupid rooster and the dog barking at it. It didn't use to be so bad, the rooster must have had his schedual screwed up because he would start later in the day like around 11-12.

Why would they have that here anyway?

Ooey you crack me up!! :giggle:

haynmama
07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
You wouldn't want to live by me, than. There are wild chickens galore. I kinda just tune them out. I hate it when they lay eggs. I am scared of getting mites. :yuck: DH moves their nest if they make one around our yard.

Ooey
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Usually roosters are either not allowed or only one is allowed. I would just check with your city ordinance. Honestly I love the sound of Roosters! :)
If it was a reasonable rooster I would not be so bothered. One nice big caulk-a-doodle at sunrise would be fine, but this thing has problems, I mean I don't know much about roosters, but I'm pretty sure it isn't standard to have one that squaks ever 10 minuts for hours on end.

DH thinks he knows which house it is coming from, the people right next door have a second unit in their back yard and he thinks it's them. Gonna do some detective work tomorrow to find out for sure, then I'll call the city and find out what can be done.

LeighaGrace
07-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Wonder if daylight savings time screwed the rooster up? Ever since Martha Stewart got chickens, it's sorta posh. When we lived in the boondocks we had chickens and loved them. Free eggs= a good reason to have them. It's goats I can't stand to hear screaming like a horror movie. We have a neighbor with those and he calls to complain every time he thinks the goats are upset. Thinks my dog messes with those things! Sometimes they get their horns hung in the fence and scream. Has notta to do with anything I own. Oh I wish I could move! But we are in the country so the goat farmer will be here forever.