PDA

View Full Version : How are you Green?

RockinClothBunz
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Tell me, what are things you do to "Go Green?" We are trying to be much more eco-friendly at my house and wanted to hear what everyone else does. Besides the obvious, cloth diapers. :laugh:

urchin_grey
09-12-2007, 04:00 PM
-We use "family" cloth as well as CDs.
-I don't use paper towels or paper anything for that matter.
-For AF (TMI sorry) I use unbleached tampons and sometimes mama cloth. I do want to try a Diva or something but haven't gotten around to it yet!
-We use natural cleaning products, shampoo and conditioner, and laundry detergent. We use 7th gen detergent and the back of the bottle says "If every household in the US replace just one bottle of 100oz ultra petroleum based liquid laundry detergent with a bottle of vegetable based detergent we could save 225,000 barrels of oil, enough to heat and cool 13,000 US home a year." :)
-I recycle all my paper products. Unfortunately there's nowhere in town that takes plastic or glass right now. :( The place that used to closed down after Katrina.
-I'm quite an anti-consumerist so I buy a lot of things used, especially clothes. Not only do I save a lot of money but I'm reducing the amount of products consumed and chucked into landfills. Plus the bonus with used clothes is that however they fit when I try them on will be how they will fit after I wash them because they've already shrunk. :p

excitednewIM
09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
- Cloth Dipes of course
- Recycle
- No paper towel, plates, napkins, etc.
- We use energy efficient light bulbs
- All natural cleaning/laundry products and also bath/lotions, etc. for us and the kiddos
- Line dry

Can't think of anything else right now.

Not nearly as much as some of the other mamas but we're working on it :)

LydiaJW
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
cloth dipes, line drying, natural biodegradable cleaning products, local produce, recycling clothes, toys, etc.:goodvibes:

october05mom
09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
definitely not as much as some. i really just got into being more green. we cloth diaper and recycle everything we can (paper, plastic, glass, cardboard etc). i also reuse plastic bags (like from target) several several times and these days try not to get plastic bags if i can help it.

could someone provide me with a list of all natural products (like cleansers, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, baby products etc)? TIA!

juliaaaaaah
09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I hope you get some ideas from this list! It's taken us a long time and lots of research to get here.

Vegan (this is the biggest thing, IMO. How your food is produced is such a huge part of your ecological footprint)
Buy local and seasonal food and produce whenever possible. We do most of our shopping at Farmer's Markets.
Buy fewer and fewer packaged foods, or foods from outside the city.
I've started making things from scratch (tortillas, bread, rice milk, etc.) This is also cheap cheap cheap!
Recycle everything
Limit the packaging, wrapping, and bagging so you don't have to recycle things
Reusable grocery and shopping bags. We take them everywhere -even Target and clothes stores
Organic - clothing, paper products, baby stuff, diapers, staple food/pantry items, everything! We're part of a local Frontier co-op, which helps.
Native plants/garden. We just planted a native garden. We're in southern CA, and it's awful how many people have lawns here! We're a DESERT! Our garden will be no-water and high oxygen producing/carbon neutralizing.
We have a hybrid, and try not to drive much.
No take-out. The packaging used for take-out is ridiculous.
Sustainable building materials. We just put in Eco Timber floors in our back room, which is FSC certified, sustainable wood.
A low-flush toilet (1.26 gallons per flush) - the TOTO Eco Drake. The same cost as a normal toilet!
Buy used goods. Especially with the consumerism vortex that is a baby.

Here's our wish list:
Tankless water heaters (or mini solar-heated tanks)
CitizenRe rental solar power units (not available yet)

And duh, cloth diapers :-).

Remember that every little change you make makes a difference!

crittercrazy3
09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
over here we're starting slow. but we're getting there

no paper towels/napkins or plastic nothing
canvas grocery bags- we get weird looks LOL- that reminds me, gotta make some more.
energy efficient lightbulbs
CD (duh lol)
digital thermostat

we're starting to recycle (still learning really)...GASP don't flame me :afraid: it's not the law here in fla and up where i live it's hard to do. tsk tsk tsk. should be mandatory, really. then i wouldn't have the problem of figuring out what to recycle and how!!

eta: didn't know buying used stuff counted, so i'm adding that! totally addicted to thrift stores.

worldwarcaitlin
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
CDs (duh), natural cleaning products, buy most groceries from local farmers/bakers/butchers, cloth shopping bags, reusable menstrual products (divacup & mama pads), part time family cloth, we recycle everything we can, I avoid using disposible cups, I carry my own silverware with me everyday for lunch so I'm not using plastic utensils. I know theres more but I can't think right nowl.

my weakness is paper towels. I have a paper towel problem; my goal is to eliminate them from this house within the next few months.

IslandHippie
09-12-2007, 08:06 PM
- We use recycled paper pulp toilet paper
- High efficiency lightbulbs
- I cook all food and treats from scratch. No processed junk chock stuffed in too much packaging
- We use biodegradeable cat litter
- Cloth shopping bags
- Efficient driving styles/use busses when possible
- If we can make it, we do. This minimizes emissions from transporting goods.
- We recycle.
- Keep our pets healthy (this is very important with any animals that go outside!)
- Walk wherever we can
- I use mama pads
- I always ensure I have phosphate free laundry detergent
- We keep the apartment cool as we can in the winter (about 17 degrees - colder will harm the birds), and use NO air conditioning in the summer, just one high efficiency fan in our room, and natural crossdrafts over the rest of the apt.

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think about it all right now. I'm a total environment nut.

RockinClothBunz
09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks ladies, I've gotten some new ideas. We are in the process of becoming much more Green! DH's family thinks I'm nuts. Guess they don't know that dh is terrified of this whole global warming thing that he is thrilled I'm thinking of all this stuff! :lostit: His mom called me a tree-hugger!!!:goodvibes:

kalebnlillismomma
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
We use re-usable shopping bags, even at non grocery stores. We switched our lightbulbs, and save TONS on our energy bills. We also wash on cold as often as possible. We are buying more organic foods, as well as locally grown food. UM, I am also trying to schedule errands, so that I am not driving around as much. We aren't using harsh chemicals as cleansers anymore, and as soon as this bottle of detergent runs out we are going to try some biodegradable laundry soap and dish liquid.

tmfletch
09-12-2007, 09:13 PM
1. We recycle
2. Post items on our local FREECYCLE so we don't have to throw things in the trash.
3. Energy efficient light bulbs and appliances
4. Try not to use the AC unless the temp in the house gets over 83 degrees
5. Trasitioning cleaning products over to more "earth friendly" products
6. Use lawn clippings to mulch
7. Just started using Mama Cloth (I won't need it for a while though :preggo:
8. Buy "previously loved" clothing from craigslist

grisaleen
09-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I use a reel lawnmower (http://www.reelmowermodels.com/) - no gas or oil needed, no driving to the gas station because the lawnmower won't start, no pollution. And, I can mow the lawn while the kiddo is outside, since it's safer and quieter.

I purchase wind power from my power company. It costs me about $10 extra per month, but I love knowing that all my power comes from a renewable resource. I've done this in 2 different states with 2 different power companies. They don't advertise it, but you can usually look around on their website and find something. And you have the option of purchasing just 50% or 25% if you can't afford to buy 100% wind power.

momovthree
09-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Well cloth diapers, obviously. :lostit:

As little paper products as I can get away with. We use cloth napkins, paper towels, etc.

Reusable shopping bags.

We are careful about water usage, I'm thinking of beginning to collect rain water for flowers.

Reusable products for packed lunches, freezer items, etc.

We recycle plastics, paper, etc.

I'm sure there is more but that is what comes to mind right now. :)

Inkdboy
09-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Well
CLoth diaper
CLoth napkins, cloth towels
CLoth grocery bags
Energy saving lights
mama cloth
Hopefully will become a bit more green..Were working on it

va703
09-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Baby steps here...

Cloth diapers, which is where it all began....
Recycling
We freecycle a lot of things we don't need or can't use
Buying local/organic
Starting to switch out my cleaning products
Using fewer paper products, like paper napkins, paper towels, etc. (I will never, ever give up toilet paper...:goodvibes: )
We can't walk anywhere but we try to cluster our errands to drive less
No plastic shopping bags - we use cloth bags or sometimes paper

That's all I can think of. It's really a change in lifestyle for us and we're slowly getting there.

TNEarthMama
09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
We:
Recycle, paper, plasic, metal etc....
Use biodegradeable dish washing liquid and some clothing liquids.
Use natural cleaning products, IE vingear, baking soda.
Use Cloth grocery bags :)
Diva cup women here..
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs, Natural Light when possible.
Craigslist of good used clothing for all of us...
Freecycle things that we dont need anymore, and request things that we may need...
Buy in bulk thus not as much packaging as smaller packages over time... Freeze alot!!!
I only wash clothing 2 days a week, not sure if that saves energy or stuff, but it saves me time...
Library for my books.. Free books for son... Then recylce them when we are done..
Buy used DVDs at yard sales etc.
Oh yard sale!! Big time that is my fav thing in the world to do :)
No cloth products ie paper towels, we use cloth...

Hum there are a few other things I'm sure we can do...

Namaste
09-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks ladies, I've gotten some new ideas. We are in the process of becoming much more Green! DH's family thinks I'm nuts. Guess they don't know that dh is terrified of this whole global warming thing that he is thrilled I'm thinking of all this stuff! :lostit: His mom called me a tree-hugger!!!:goodvibes:

There are worse things than being a called a tree hugger! LOL

greenMImama
09-13-2007, 08:12 AM
OK I have read them all, great suggestions, we do most of them about the only one I didn't see is:
My DH rides his bicycle to work, he loves the exercise and it save a lot on gas, and pollution, We also only own 1 car, so in the winter it can mean some juggling or I just don't leave the house very often, but it is totally doable.

trying4more
11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
-We used cloth diapers (no more babies here)
-Cloth napkins, washclothes, dishrags...ect
-7th generation cleaning products, laundry Care
-Walk to the local health food store (across the street!!!)
-Reusable bags
-Hand-me-down clothes, second hand stores for "new" clothes.
-Beside Shampoo and Conditioner, we don't use blow dryers, hairspray, make-up
-Mama Cloth
-Eat organic, whole and raw foods. Avoid packaged food at all costs!
-Buy milk from local diary farms (we have ton here)
-Glass cups and dishes.
-Rarely use the heater. We just bundle up!

Umm..that's about all I can think of now!
We are pretty earth friendly!

Devi05
11-22-2007, 08:10 PM
We recycle everything
We eat organic, buy local, and seasonal
DS and I don't eat meat
We compost
We use Seventh Generation cleaning and washing products
We also use organic soaps, toothpaste, and shampoo, and conditioners
I use my own cloth bags for groceries
I've started shopping more for use toys and clothes
Low flush toilets
We also just installed a Dishwasher with the ECO wash option and energy efficient
and there is more that I can't think of right now, oh digital thermostat.......