PDA

View Full Version : Where to donate old cell phones??

marmotamonaxes
10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I've heard you can donate to women's shelters, so that women at risk can make emergency (911 only) calls for help.

Does anyone have advice? I have some working ones, but I've heard its dangerous to donate them... does anyone know?
AND, do I take the microchip thing out of the back before I donate, or does that make it so the next person can't use it?

angel0123
10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
how is it dangerous to donate? :headscratch:

We have abox at our local library for recycling and mine went there.

rafrach
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Our local Verizon store has a box for old phone donations, and they would be able to tell you whether you needed to remove the chip (very probably) and ddelete entries.

Jujubazooka
10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
To your local battered women's shelter.

Love4leon
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I worked at several women's shelters and cell phones were great donations!! They shouldn't be dangerous to donate- I would just delete any phone numbers you have on it...otherwise I think they are specifically only 911 calls that can be made fromthem. Definitely offer it to a local womens shelter.:goodvibes:

marmotamonaxes
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, to the shelter they go...

I read somewhere after posting this that there are big-time FRAUDS out there with imaginary "charities" to donate your phone to, and YOU pay shipping. A couple in texas made millions with their "charity".

A guy on Freecycle this week was asking for phones to "recycle"...I suspect people could ask for phones and then sell them. There are TONS of places on the internet that will happily give you money for your phones.

rcarver
11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Our church has a recycle box for cell phones.

Bunny
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
The Body Shop takes them. You have to have the charger with it, or it's useless. :goodvibes:

The phone can only be used to call 911 because it is not included with a plan. For people who use all service providers EXCEPT Sprint, when you transfer your microchip, you transfer your private info (unless you saved it to the phone instead of the chip). For Sprint customers you have to erase everything stored on the phone. It's not hard, usually just a few clicks away.