PDA

View Full Version : ready to try solids?

xois
11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
so emerson is 4months corrected age and nearly 6 months old (7 weeks early) and she has suddently bumped up her feedings to every 2 hours...

used to be every 3

she goes all night thuogh from 7:30-4 sometimes 6:30

so I'm wondering if she is wantint to try solids...she seems interested when she sees us eating...

also, I'm wanting to start with advocado and homemade rice cereal...I bought some long grain brown rice to grind up...any suggestions?

Thanks

negrapy
11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
if you are wanting to start those are great foods to start with - banana is also a good one
with the brown rice if you cook it really well and then just blend it into a mush

i started both my boys when they would no longer nurse while i was eating -tried to grab for food - made mouth chomping faces and could sit with very little assistance - which for both of them happened between 5-6 months - earlier than i had hoped but i followed Dr.Jack Newman's advice about everything else breastfeeding so i decided to follow his starting solids advice as well

blessedwithprincessntwins
11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Hope it goes good I'm in the same boat. I don't anything homemade like to know of some though.:headscratch:

joy7s
11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I think it sounds like your lo is ready I'd want them to be ready every two hours is a lot!! :giggle:

negrapy
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Hope it goes good I'm in the same boat. I don't anything homemade like to know of some though.:headscratch:

its easy to do - for example you can cook oatmeal and add your breastmilk - or pretty much any mushable foods - such as bannas, cook apple, pears, canned pumpkin (a fav or my boys - i add a touch of sweet and cinnamon) califlower, avocado, potatoes, peas, beans etc

with my second i pretty much blended up anything we were eating - he hasnt had any problems

both my boys have seemed to enjoy food more if its seasoned instead of just bland (i dont suggest adding salt - but pepper, rosemary, thyme, oregano etc) neither one would eat much jar baby food

kezoo
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Keep in mind that your LO could just be going through a growth spurt and the nursing more often is just nature's way of increasing your supply. Since she's a preemie, I personally would be tempted to hold off a bit longer. :2cents:

mcpforever
11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Keep in mind that your LO could just be going through a growth spurt and the nursing more often is just nature's way of increasing your supply. Since she's a preemie, I personally would be tempted to hold off a bit longer. :2cents:

My DD at 6.5 months still goes through periods where she wants to nurse more often (yes, every 2 hours) and she's been on solids for over a month now. It doesn't matter how much she's eaten in the way of solids, she still wants and needs the breast milk and knows it.
Rely on weight doubling, sitting with minimal assistance, hand to mouth more as developmental cues rather than the hunger ones. :goodvibes:

xois
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
thanks everyone! :goodvibes:

I appreciate all the great tips

we love nursing LOL even every 2 hours

I talked to the pedi today and she wants me to wait at least another 2 weeks (at that time, her tummy will be over 4months old and she will be 6months old)

oh and hurray! She is finally on the charts...in the 3rd % for a 6month old at 12lbs 4oz

She is catching up FAST

Maddie&Jake'sMom
11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
It sounds like a growth spurt to me....solids aren't meant for filling baby up at that age. They're for experimenting tastes and textures. :goodvibes:

RockinClothBunz
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM

ditto