PDA

View Full Version : cervix is soft at 35 weeks, is this a change?

yellowcampcat
08-01-2006, 06:17 AM
I went for my appt. yesterday at 35 1/2 weeks, and the dr. said my cervix is soft, but not open. I didn't get a chance to ask if this is a change from how it has been so far in the pregnancy. I know it doesn't mean delivery is coming soon even if he said I was beginning to dialate, but I was just wondering...I don't want to wait until the end of the month! Any tips on bringing labor on?? Thanks.

~Meg~
08-01-2006, 06:34 AM
It could be, but everyone is so different it is hard to say. I started contracting very early and my cervix was soft from about 24 weeks until I delivered at 35 weeks due to pre-e. Even though I was contracting that whole time, I never dilated. I would say though that if you haven't been soft before but are now, that is definite progress.

boobyfeeder
08-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Typically throughout most of the pregnancy, the cervix is "hard" like the tip of your nose. When it begins to soften, it feels more like your lips. Just so you have an idea of the difference. So yes, a soft cervix is a change, but does not mean anything in regards to when you will go into labor. It is just your body getting ready, one of the many ways. :)

Kimmomy2dom
08-01-2006, 08:13 AM
It could just be the way your body is reacting to being pregnant for that long. My doc didn't check me until 39 weeks with my son, and then I was 1cm dilated. Who KNOWS how long I was wandering around like that, KWIM? It may just be how your body works with pregnancy towards the end. It's GOT to be getting ready to do something in the next few weeks.
LOL, is it just me or does 35 week seem early to check your cervix? I'm 35 and they won't be checking mine, and they didn't check me until 39 weeks with only one baby. I guess every doctor is different - I just thought they usually waited until later?

lastaats
08-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't think 35 wks is too early to check if you don't mind.

Your body is slowly getting ready for labor. Don't get ahead of yourself though (trust me!). My due date is Saturday. I was dilated to about a centimeter about 3 wks ago....then last week i asked them to check since i've been having alot more contractions (and a false labor scare), and i was at 3cm. So i'm very slowly working my way there!

But w/ my other 2 girls, i didn't dilate at all really till i allowed the dr to strip my membranes on my due dates (both my girls were "late").

Just don't try to push yourself into labor too early. I let everyone pressure me last time into trying even though I wanted to wait. I tried the castor oil method. OMG...that was the worst thing in the world i could've done. I laid in the bathroom floor cramping, crying, and throwing up for over an hour....and it didn't do a thing to start labor. After that i told everyone to **** off, that my baby was coming when SHE was ready, not us....and she did. : )

Kellyd
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I got checked at 34 weeks with my first- the MD was doing the group-B strep test and for some reason used a speculum and said that my cervix looked a little open to him- so he checked and I was 2 cm and beginning to soften. I stayed at 2 for the next 4 weeks, and finally at 38 weeks dilated and softened a little bit more- he was born at 39 weeks and 2 days. Because I dilated so early with him they decided to check me at 34 weeks with my second- and even though she was breech and so there was no head pressure on my cervix I was again dilated to 2 cm and very soft. They were actually pretty concerned I'd go early when she flipped at 36 weeks and settled nice and deep against my pelvis- but I hung in there until 39 weeks and 1 day. With baby # 3 they again checked me early and I was again dilated- again to 2 cm. She was induced at 38 wks and 2 days because #2 shot out in only 2 hours of labor. This time I also got checked at 34 weeks because of pretty bad contrax and dehydration from a stomach bug- and again 2 cm and 50% effaced. They've checked me weekly since and last week at 36 weeks I was up to 3 cm.

I actually don't know what's worse- to not know what your cervix is doing or to know you are dilating and softening and not going into labor when you get closer to your due date. But, for you 35 weeks is too soon to be thinking about getting labor started. There are some 37 week babies that still don't have really mature lungs. The good thing for you is that since your cervix is getting soft that you probably don't have to worry that you won't get a ripe cervix later on down the road.

Lucky Child
08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I've never been checked that early.. my office won't check until 38 weeks... I never got checked this time b/c I delivered at 37 weeks this time.. but it's one of those things that is good to know, but can be bad b/c it gets the anticipation up
Anyway, it does sound hopeful... at least you know it's getting ready and the end is near... soon you'll meet your little one!

OneFabMama
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
They started checking me at 35 weeks because I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks but I went into labor at 37w6d
So I dontthink 35 wks is that early

shell015
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM
That is a good thing. When your cervix is thinning that means that you are preparing for child birth. Mine was 75% at 34 weeks. I delivered at 36. It can be anytime... but then again it could be that they have to induce you... Either way the fact that it is thinning on it's own is great and will aid in your labor. Don't worry mama. It will all work out! Prayers are with you!

yellowcampcat
08-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your input ladies...the reason why I'm so excited for things to change (besides the 100 degree temps and terrible humidity here in va, lol) is that I'm trying for a vbac this time, and the dr. won't induce...so I have to progress on my own if it's going to happen!

myajdw
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
That is a good thing. When your cervix is thinning that means that you are preparing for child birth. Mine was 75% at 34 weeks. I delivered at 36. It can be anytime... but then again it could be that they have to induce you... Either way the fact that it is thinning on it's own is great and will aid in your labor. Don't worry mama. It will all work out! Prayers are with you!

curious why it could be that they would have to induce? :headscratch: