PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of toys-

Sophiasmomma
11-23-2007, 09:36 PM
OK so my DD is only 3 but gets very attached to her toys.. I cant just "get rid of them" I want to minimlize plastics by about 50% in our house.. also for the holidasy how one arth do you let your kids open a gift then return or get rid of it after he/she sees it??:headscratch: How do you start?? What does one keep/ get rid of??

Bukawww
11-23-2007, 10:05 PM
You get rid of things very slowly and secretly. My kids hardly notice when I get rid of stuff...when they ask 'Hey, where did xyz go?', I just shrug my shoulders and say that I don't know...they move on from there pretty quickly. My oldest is starting to understand about making donations to thrift stores, especially around the holidays.

With the 2nd point, this is what we did last year (my kids were 4 and 18m)...we left the car packed with the gifts (we have Christmas at my grandmas) for about a week. As they'd ask for specific things, we'd go get them. They forgot about most of what was in there. Then we just put everything else into a garbage sack and used the toys as rewards throughout the year or gave them away.

We are also now known in the family as the 'stingy' family...I always request that the girls get a few big gifts that everyone pitches in for or keeps their gifts to a very bare minimum (some family is even willing to donate to their mutual funds). I have 3 kids who are each gonna have a birthday and Christmas every year...I can only imagine how much crap I will have accumulated by then if I wasn't a 'stingy' mama. :giggle: I also want my kids to be appreciative of the holiday - I want it to be more than just a day for presents for them.

trying4more
11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
We only keep enough toys to fill the ONE toy bucket we have.
If they want more, or something new, they go threw what they got, donate what they don't want in order to get a new toy!

Shawna in CA
11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
OK so my DD is only 3 but gets very attached to her toys.. I cant just "get rid of them" I want to minimlize plastics by about 50% in our house.. also for the holidasy how one arth do you let your kids open a gift then return or get rid of it after he/she sees it??:headscratch: How do you start?? What does one keep/ get rid of??

Keep very few things in the toy box, and keep the rest of the stuff in the garage in a bag. Rotate the toys. Every few months, bring the garage stuff in the house, and put the house stuff in the garage. You get more wear out of the toys you already have that way, and when you actually go to get rid of the excess, they don't notice as much because something they used to be attached to is now in the garage, thus, out of sight, out of mind.

We went through this with our son when he was that age. He's a pack rat even now (he's almost 15) and it's really hard to get rid of ANYTHING now that we can't "rotate" stuff. LOL

For holidays, we never got rid of anything right away. The old toys would go in the garage, new toys in the toy box, and things would get rotated, and during rotation, some things would get donated.

Keep things that they seem to dearly love, like favorite stuffies. Or anything that's collectible that you KNOW won't be around in 10 years. In our son's case, the collectible stuff consists mostly of Batman toys. To this day, he LOVES Batman, and loves comic book figures, so keeping all of that old stuff was the way to go, but for generic toys that have been around for generations, that stuff can safely go, as well as toys you've found inappropriate but were given anyway, such as, I dunno... Bratz dolls, or something.

You have to be stealthy, but it isn't impossible.

hippydippymama
11-23-2007, 10:17 PM
THanks for this thread! I have a feeling I'll be returning a lot of gifts this year. Only problem is, DS will immediately want to open and play with them, and they'll probably get broken or their packaging will get thrown away before I can snatch it back to the store. *sigh*

DivineNature
11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
THanks for this thread! I have a feeling I'll be returning a lot of gifts this year. Only problem is, DS will immediately want to open and play with them, and they'll probably get broken or their packaging will get thrown away before I can snatch it back to the store. *sigh*

I've returned broken toys to WM. One year a gift for my ods broke the first day. I figure that is not acceptable so we returned it.

We are lucky that our families are not big gift giving families. yay! My mom basically gets what I tell her the kids want/need and then they get cash and whatever I give them.

It is good to have children help go through and purge their own toys. This will help them to understand that it is okay to get rid of stuff and good to give to others. My kids are better at it each time we do it. Plus, if they see you being attached to objects they will be too. I find that sometimes I am more attached to a toy than they are!

On declutter shows I've seen them make it into a game. For every one toy she keeps she can choose one to donate to a less fortunate child. That would be 50% right there. Discard all the broken toys and Happy Meal toys.

The nice thing about being selective about the toys we buy (no MIC, no plastic, etc) is that there are no impulse toy purchases. No junk toys. So we'll have fewer toys simply because there are fewer options. But the toys we have will be nicer, better quality.

frog_fairie
11-24-2007, 01:23 AM
my dd bday is a weekm before christmas and my ds a few weeks after so we get way to may toys around this time , we have so much family and we have christmas at my moms , hubbys dads, then at his moms, then his family gets together and it is just so overwhelming! i usually just put up what they dont need and what i cant return i sell and put the money in their piggy banks for when i dont have money and need something for them. lol would be nice if i could get everybody to buy cloth diapers for my 2 daughters! that would help alot.

we have been going through and my son who is 3 will tell me he wants to give this or that to a boy who doesnt have toys . i hope when my daughters get a little older they are as eager to give :) we take stuff to the crisis center thrift store all the time and post on freecycle frequently . i know it may sound bad but i am honestly getting a little agitated with freecycle because i give and give and give and them when i need it seems nobody will help. like now things have been tuff with the holidays comming up and a tree falling on our house and trashing it and a lot of our belongings. i wish i never had to learn how bad it is to deal with insurance on issuses like this! oooooo i am so going off subject lol.

Jewelgurl137
11-24-2007, 10:43 AM
LOL! I already did this. I sat down one day after my kids had emptied their toy boxes (1 in DD's room & 1 in the living room). I took an empty box and as I was picking them up while my kids watched a movie I put anything that I hadn't seen them play with in awhile & anything they weren't and I wasn't attached to into the empty box. This box I put on Craigslist and sold. :laugh: I know I lost money on all of the toys that were practically new, but I didn't care. I just wanted them out of here and plus the extra money was nice to have to go towards other things that my kids actually need. I might do this again sometime soon, cuz we still have WAY too many toys (the 2 toyboxes are still overflowing, which I have no idea how this always happens...LOL!). We told my MIL & FIL that we don't want a ton of toys this year for the kids. We want clothes, gift cards (for clothes or for the whole family to enjoy), and cash. :laugh: My FIL I think gets the idea, but my MIL STILL got my DD an obnoxious toy for her birthday last week. :banghead: I swear it'll never get played with or it will get broken, yet I had to act appreciative for it. Why can't ppl listen? I mean honestly is asking for no more toys really that hard for grandparents to understand. :blush: :giggle:

frog_fairie
11-24-2007, 10:49 AM
apparently it is that hard for grandparents to understand lol, cause i have the same problem! i told my mom to buy them some diapers those would be really usefull and at the moment i really need them but i know they wont listen

Jewelgurl137
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
apparently it is that hard for grandparents to understand lol, cause i have the same problem! i told my mom to buy them some diapers those would be really usefull and at the moment i really need them but i know they wont listen

LOL! Yeah. Last year FIL got the kids toys that were too old or too young for them and all but 1 got thrown away. He is on the same page as us this year though. MIL got a bunch of huge, loud, or pointless toys for my kids last year & this year seems to be going the same route. Ugh! I just want practical things for my kids since I personally got them some nice natural and safe toys for Christmas. KWIM?

Bunny
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
DS isn't quite old enough to notice when toys go missing, so I've been tossing his plastic toys (all handed down from DN) left and right.

DN is rough on his toys and as soon as something gets broken it gets thrown out (the in-laws only buy cheap plastic junk). Now that DS is two, it's harder for DN to believe that he is going to choke on the broken pieces...

This year, after he gets his presents he will be picking out some of his older, unbroken toys and donating them to charity.

sdevonh
11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
We are also now known in the family as the 'stingy' family...I always request that the girls get a few big gifts that everyone pitches in for or keeps their gifts to a very bare minimum.

I know what you mean, mama. This is DD's first Christmas and I have already laid the ground rules with the grandparents - no overbuying or overspending. My parents get it and are very respectful, but the in-laws think that I am too mean! I would rather that my DD have great memories of her family and the times that we spent together than tons of toys, and if that makes me mean, then hand me a Grinch costume! :lostit: