OKie so I made a delay vacs schedule for my kids and friday is the day Im telling there dr, I dont know how he will take it I just hope he wont be a jerk to me and try to make me vax my kids.
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Poor you, I hope it goes well for you. One thing I've used with doctors in different situations is, "I understand you have reasons you disagree with my decision, but I am not holding you responsible for my decision..." And also not explaining too much, bc they make you feel dumb (and mad bc you're not dumb!)....
12-10-2007, 08:18 PM
My pharmacist friend told me she found it easiest just to .... delay making the appointments all together! She wouldn't go in for the 6mo one until 9mos...and so on. Hold your ground. I wish I would have. Ignore the 'you are a terrible parent' look you're bound to get that I got from the nurse. :hugs: Stay strong!
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree with pp, I always just say not today, maybe next time. Military docs you know. :( boo.
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Stand your ground. You are absolutely not getting any on Friday... don't be intimidated into doing something you will regret. Try to be open and listen to what the doc says and be open to taking literature home, but don't get any that day. I hope you have a pediatrition who can respect your decision. If he is really crappy about it remember he is replaceable. If he isn't serving you, you can always get a different pediatrition.
Good luck to you. Ultimately, you are responsible for your kid's health. :goodvibes:
12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
thanks ladies, I will stand strong on Friday.
12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Good luck! I know some doctors don't believe in that and don't feel you should tell them when to vax your own kids. My mom didn't want my youngest siblings to get the varicella (chicken pox) for personal/philosophical reasons. She took my 13 year old sister in for a check up, and they said it was mandated by LAW she get the vax. Not true. They gave her another shot, and then 'accidently' gave her the varicella too! I could not believe it! My mom was in tears, she was so upset, and they told her it was just a mistake and to deal with it, no one ever died from it. I told her to change doctors and get a lawyer, that was against the law. She's still taking the kids there though.:headscratch:
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I struggled so much with the decision whether to vaccinate, or at least to delay it. I ended up doing it, "on schedule", and I worried like crazy. I would have worried either way. I found this decision to be one of the hardest ones I have made as a parent. It is good that you are grounded and confident. Best wishes.
12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Just some additional information. I have a great Doctor who agrees with me about delaying vacs. But he said to me to make it beneficial for all to alert the nurse scheduling the appointment that your child will not be getting vaccinated. then the office is not out money, for expired vaccinations. Apparently they have to order them a day or two before the appointment.
12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
anna I didnt know that ....... hmm I wonder if I should call back and let the nurse know.
12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
we also have just begun to skip well baby visits because well...our baby is well and we can measure her and compare her to charts just like the docs and we compare to bf charts not formula. I think the well baby visits are ust a great opportunity to foist vaccs on babies anyway.
by the way, I've heard if you selectively vacc and get the waivers that you should just say you'renot vacc at all because it's easier to explain that than to explain why you WOULDN'T get certain vaccs. And if you need to find a more friendly vacc doc try reading posts in mothering.com forums or local API and babywearing groups often can suggest someone as well. good luck and REMEMBER IT IS NOT THE LAW TO VACCINATE!!