PDA

View Full Version : We've got un-drinkable well water...how do i avoid bottled?

rainbowbrite812
12-21-2007, 07:34 AM
So...we've got un-drinkable well water...how do i avoid buying bottled water? I try to buy the bigger spouted jugs to keep in the fridge, but is there a better way?

plus i have to buy the bottled Nursery Water for E's baby food & formula when we do need to use it, since it's got flouride & we don't have city tap water.

what are my options?

LittleBoPeepKnits
12-21-2007, 08:20 AM
nak..

we're on a well and my dh installed a reverse osmosis filter to my kitchen sink. you can get one @ home depot.:thumbsup:

ForCryingOutLoud
12-21-2007, 08:29 AM
My mom has a distiller to distill her own water since she has well water.

Alexia
12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I buy the gallons of water, but you could always sign up for home delivery....we've been looking into that here. Also the filter.

mama2cody
12-21-2007, 08:57 AM
I have a reverse osmosis thing too plus we use Brita water pitchers to further filter the water. I have a well and our water smells like eggs. :yuck:

rainbowbrite812
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a reverse osmosis thing too plus we use Brita water pitchers to further filter the water. I have a well and our water smells like eggs. :yuck:

so even though you have stinky water after the RO & brita you can drink your tap?

the friend that we bought this house off of was a plumber and i "think" he put an RO system to the kitchen tap, but not sure...i've been meaning to call him to find out.

mclaybrook
12-21-2007, 02:02 PM
We have a RainSoft RO and softner.. it was spendy.. but, WAYYY worth it. :) (You might be able to get an awesome deal on the RO on ebay?!)

Deanner03
12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
If it's egg smell even after filtration, sounds like sulfur. It's a pain (will tarnish silver, and smells like crazy) but it's safe to drink. I'd get one of the dispensers and use the BIG reusable bottles.

kocho
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Have you had your well tested and treated?

langyork
12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
you may not live in a town or city with this available but...

our well water is undrinkable, even after our $2000 investment in a water softener sooo

we use 6 five gallon jugs again and again and get our water from culligan, we get it ourselves when we are in that area, it costs $2 for 5 gallons each. We get it like once a month.

Just keep reusing whatever containers you are using.

zionnecherub
12-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh man, we had NASTY well water in Florida. I had a softner and R/O system, and it was still gross. We had this big cloudy organism living in our tank. This house was new construction too. I have always feared the tap. I dont have any suggestions for you really, just :hugs: cause I know what its like :yuck:

rainbowbrite812
12-23-2007, 06:29 PM
i still haven't asked the previous owner about the water...but i do think it's drinkable. it doesn't smell or taste bad, just downstairs in the basement where he didn't hook up the softener (to the utility sink)

i've been thinking of getting a 5 gal water dispenser, but still have have to "pay" for water :(

mum0fthr33
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Our city water has a very bad smell to it so we got a water cooler at biglots for 89.00 that has the mini fridge under it and the hot and cold water we paid 10.00 deposit for our first jug of water when we take it back to get a new jug its only 5.00 each time and if we don't want more water we just give them the jug back and we get 5.00 back you can also keep the jug and refill it with the baby water just make sure you put some bleach in the jug and then run hot water threw it every 4 or 5 refills to make sure its clean.

you may not live in a town or city with this available but...

our well water is undrinkable, even after our $2000 investment in a water softener sooo

we use 6 five gallon jugs again and again and get our water from culligan, we get it ourselves when we are in that area, it costs $2 for 5 gallons each. We get it like once a month.

Just keep reusing whatever containers you are using.

daisiesandmore
12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
You should get your well checked for bacteria. We have bacteria in our well and would have to have a chlorine drip installed in order to remove the bacteria. We have horses next door to us and their waste filters in to the ground, and therefore in to our water. We installed a pricey r.o. system...but it doesn't remove the e coli and other bacteria. So when I am in town I fill up water jugs at my mom's house with her city water.

I know, this is one pain of country living! Thw water is "free" but not really.

blessedwithprincessntwins
12-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I agree with above post
the water's free but is it really:headscratch:
I lived in the same issue with my DD and her ped.
told us to boil the water and it should be safe to drink bottles
b/c it has bacteria in welll water. I did use nursey water with her
so it had the floride in it but you can get drops to add floride in it. I used them before I bought nursey water. Hope you find solution that works
for you.

CKMOMMA
12-25-2007, 06:52 PM
My friends always come to my house and take my well-water that is fine! =) maybe i should check my well water for bacteria i saw in PP/

daisiesandmore
12-25-2007, 07:04 PM
They say you should have your well bleached every year or two. I have clients ( I am a Realtor) that haven't had their wells tested or bleached in thirty years...they are fine because their body has become immune to the bacteria. But if someone new moves in and starts drinking it, they could become ill because they are not used to the bacteria.

It really is no big deal to bleach your well. You just pour some bleach down the well casing, flush it in to all of the lines, let it sit for 12 hours or so and then flush it all out. I can never do it because the bleach smell gets in my nose and then that's all I can smell...so I don't know if it is out of the lines. To hire someone to do it for you should be no more than $150 or so. A well test for quality is usually done by the county, or a local independent lab and should be about $40.

mom23boys
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
We have a RO system too. . .the problem is for every gallon it purifies, something like 5 are wasted which bothers me. When we go to my dad's house I take jugs and fill them up there from his city water. My boys get their flouride from ACT now that they're older - I thought my pediatrician told me no fluoride for babies?

We also have an iron filtration system which has eliminated the stinky water. It saved me from moving - I couldn't stand the stink!!

Problem with testing your well is that city wells are tested for all the bad stuff many times a day. If you test your well, you never know what has since filtered into your water supply unless you test your water often. Your water may test fine one day, and then the neighbors septic leaches into the ground and your well is infected and you don't know it. So. . . wells are tricky!

hackermd
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Do you have a public spring anywhere near you? You may be able to call your water works and ask where the nearest one is located and stock up jugs when you go.

We had a public water spring in CT... LURVED it.

MrsETaylor
12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
We also have well water that has a wonderful bacteria in it.

There is a system that is from Shaklee that removes the yuckies and helps with odour and taste.

If you want more information let me know. They works beautifully.

Bunny
12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
City girl here, so please excuse my well-water ignorance.

Can you just boil it?

tiredmommyof8
12-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Have you had your well tested and treated?

Sorry I didn't read all the posts but this is exactly what I was thinking. You usually get this done by your local Health Dept/Environmental Health. It is easy to treat and usually done with a couple gallons of Clorox and then is retested. This should be done periodically. Especially if you live on or near a farm or have farm animals. A filtration system at the well will usually help with the remainder of any issues. At our previous home our water smelled like sulfur but was safe to drink. The water did turn everything orange (dishwasher, toilet, washer, etc) and was full of sediment but technically there was nothing wrong with it. You could boil your water until you get all this straightened out. I think that it is actually reccommended that you boil well water before you use it in formula.

lilyfrog_flowers
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh my, grew up on well water, we have a different house/well now and haven't had any city water drinking folks get sick from it. The wells have never been bleached either. Never heard of it before. We had our water tested when DD#1 was born free from the county and all was "well" okay it was great. My parent's had theirs tested as well and nothing. My dad raises hogs and beef and the amazing part of the water system is that our water available for drinking has passed through someone/thing else at some point in history. It's the water cycle and has to deal with the soil profile not the animals next door. ;( Just wanted to clear some thoughts up.

pmills4
04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
depending on what is wrong with the water a UV light filter may be neccessary. That is what we had to get in order to make our water drinkable because of the ecoli in our water but it also treats other things and there is no taste or smell to the water. After we installed the UV light we had the water tested again and they said that it was purer (spelling ?) than store bought water. We also have 3 different carbon filters.

huntingflower
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
You may be able to get your well water fixed. Have you shocked it? Also there is some infrared something or... hell I don't know what it is called but I am sure if you looked into it you would find out what it is. My stepmom had to have something like this done before she sold their last house.. think it cost around $1000.

huntingflower
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
depending on what is wrong with the water a UV light filter may be neccessary. That is what we had to get in order to make our water drinkable because of the ecoli in our water but it also treats other things and there is no taste or smell to the water. After we installed the UV light we had the water tested again and they said that it was purer (spelling ?) than store bought water. We also have 3 different carbon filters.

Didn't read everything before I posted. Yep this is what my stepmother had to have. :thumbsup: