PDA

View Full Version : What fruit and veggies can you process at home???

gvroach
12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Maddie is only 4 months, but Im already thinking about solids. Aside from cereals, Im wondering what veggies and fruits I can make at home and puree in a blender for her. For example, I see corn in some baby foods on the shelves, but I know I cant get that smooth in a blender, and it doesnt have that much nutritional value anyway. Here's what I can come up with so far, I know there have to be more:

Vegetables:
Sweet Potato
Squashes
Peas
Carrots

Fruit:
Apples
Pears
Bananas
Peaches
Apricots

How about some other green veggies??? I imagine broccoli (and cauliflower) wouldnt be good as they are gassy.

How about berries? I see strawberries sometimes added to fruits, but what about straight up strawberries, blueberries, etc?

Ever add dates to anything? Figs? Spinach? Mango?

Toadofeya
12-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Mandela started eating raw blueberries at about 5 months - I would usually bit half of it off and only give her half, but she LOVED THEM!! Still does (at 13 months). Stains the cloth diapers though!!! Peeled lima beans worked really well for us - hum, letme think what else - AVACADO!!! She started avacado at 4 months - they are really good for babies, all that healthy fat in there. Have you tried getting one of those net things where you put the food in the net and let them suck on it? We used that alot at first too. I'll keep thinking . . . .

gvroach
12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I totally forgot about that net thing, I saw it in the store a few months ago and meant to make a mental note!

Avocados, yum! Ill get those as soon as I get home!

Do lima beans give too much gas though? Maddie is SUPER gassy!

Thanks!

Toadofeya
12-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Limas didn't, but green did for me - I would usually peel them and mix them with a little applesauce. Melons too, were good for us to smash up - watermelon was a particular fav. But Blue was not a gassy baby at all. ALSO - with the mesh net, when she was teething I'd put frozen strawberries and mango in there and that really seemed to help her gums.

Shyla
12-31-2007, 08:41 AM
I think this link will really help you: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/allergy.htm
This site is great and can even walk you through on how to start solids and when with your LO I really think you shoukld check it out and read it.

Most-Allergenic Foods
berries
chocolate
cinnamon
citrus fruits (acidic)
coconut
corn
dairy products
egg whites
mustard
nuts
peas
peanut butter
pork
shellfish
soy
strawberries
sugar
tomatoes
wheat
yeast

Least-Allergenic Foods
apples
apricots
asparagus
avocados
barley
beets
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
chicken
cranberries
dates
grapes
honey
lamb
lettuce
mangoes
oats
papayas
peaches
pears
poi
raisins
rice
rye
safflower oil
salmon
squash
sunflower oil
sweet potatoes
turkey
veal

erinsaal
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I made avocado, carrots, peas, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potatos, apples, bananas, pears.

beckis
01-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Here is a helpful link from Cuisinart Baby, it gives you preperation instructions as well as staged feeding menues and even recipes and combos to try: http://www.cuisinart.com/baby/recipes/recipe_group.php?recipe_group_tag=stage_1
I also used the book "Mommy Made and Daddy Too" It was really good and gave you the basics of what you needed without all the "fluff" other book have.

I made all my own food and never had a problem with it - it was really easy! I did all my shopping at once and went to town after baby was in bed - after pureeing, I froze them in ice cube trays - perfect 1 oz servings - and then placed the cubes in freezer bags for storage. I only had to do this maybe 2-3 times the baby was on purees since I made so much - and I made all the different kinds at once. For feeding, I used the rubbermade take & toss containers (I liked the 4oz size) they were leak-proof, could be microwaved if needed, fit several of the cubes at once, and when I left the house I just put the cubes in there and they would be ready to serve in only an hour or so.:goodvibes:

jillovern
01-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I would start with what you've got - those are the basics and by the time you get through introducing them all you may be moving up to less than strained stuff anyways. My first was content to eat single ingredient meals for months, but my second moved from cereal to our dinner run through the food processor within a month. You don't want to do all that work filling the freezer until you see what your's eating habits will be ;)

lilyfrog_flowers
01-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Both dds started with zuccini, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets (both carrots and beets need to be given very periodically as they can have excess nitrates in them, depending on where/how they were grown), applesauce, squash, green beans, peas, peaches, avacado, banana. I would be inclined to add some steamed spinach to any of them to add some greens.
The avacado and banana I just mash with a fork but the others I steam and process in my cuisinart. I freeze some in old babyfood jars and others in ice cube trays. (One fits perfectly into a glass bbyfood jar!) If it is too watery I add some rice cereal to it when I am ready to give it to her.
I would not do your own canned veggies and only canned fruits in juice or very light syrup.
We are really careful about allergens as my dh and I have a few food allergies.

Don't add honey unless you heat it past 180 because it can contain botulism that can kill your babe. They don't need sweetener or salt anyways.
dd #2 enjoys really squishy peas whole as opposed to pureed... found out after we had a whole zip-lock of cubes made! Pea soup anyone?
Way to go mama! Making baby food is so easy and a great money saver.

RJmomof4
01-12-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

gvroach
01-13-2008, 12:24 PM
The fact that honey is even on the list makes me wonder about that list. You should NEVER give honey to a baby. It may not be allergenic, but it can kill!

My3Suns
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Amanda, the page referred to states this above the list of foods:

Why is Honey on Your "Least Allergenic" List and the List of Forbidden Foods?

Please note that some of the foods that appear on the list of "Least Allergenic" should not be introduced until a certain age.*While these foods may not be allergy causing, there may be other issues that make that food item inappropriate to give to an infant prior to a specific age.*

An example of this is honey; honey is not a known allergen however it may contain spores that are botulism inducing.*Honey should not be given to an infant prior to one year of age.*To learn more about honey, visit our Honey and Botulism Tips section.

I love the wholesomebaby site and my pedi said it was well researched and written too! HTH

P.S. Blueberries are great at this age

w3ndy
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Adding to your list...I've done green beans - used frozen ones that I steamed and then pureed. And mangos! My ds loves mangos. I bought frozen organic mangos and cooked those until they were steaming and mushy. Then I pureed them. I froze them in ice cube trays and bagged them up in the freezer.
My pediatrician said to wait on strawberries and fish until they are 9 months I think.
GL!
Wendy

w3ndy
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
One more thing...I don't remember how old your LO is but they only need really pureed foods until they are 6 months old. I started some solids at 4 months - very slowly introduced them. Now at 6 months I've got a ton of 1st stages type food in my freezer that I made and now ds is ready for chunkier 2nd stage type food. So don't make too much of one stage food...does that make sense?
Wendy

zeldajk
01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Don't make your own carrots, because they can have nitrates in them. Commercial baby food makers go out of their way to buy carrots without nitrates so they're safe.

Try avocado, my DS loves it!

mamaof10
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't make your own carrots, because they can have nitrates in them. Commercial baby food makers go out of their way to buy carrots without nitrates so they're safe.

Try avocado, my DS loves it!

so does spinach but if made properly it is fine

mamaof10
01-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I made

pears
apples
bananas
blueberries
strawberries
kiwi
peaches
plums

sweet potatoes
pumpkin
sweet peas
spinach
carrots
green beans
squash
zucchini (sp?)

Manna00
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Amanda, the page referred to states this above the list of foods:

Why is Honey on Your "Least Allergenic" List and the List of Forbidden Foods?

Please note that some of the foods that appear on the list of "Least Allergenic" should not be introduced until a certain age.*While these foods may not be allergy causing, there may be other issues that make that food item inappropriate to give to an infant prior to a specific age.*

An example of this is honey; honey is not a known allergen however it may contain spores that are botulism inducing.*Honey should not be given to an infant prior to one year of age.*To learn more about honey, visit our Honey and Botulism Tips section.

I love the wholesomebaby site and my pedi said it was well researched and written too! HTH

P.S. Blueberries are great at this age

:yeahthat: I've also heard that strawberries should be held off on as well until at least a year.

pumpkins_mom
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Way to go making your own baby food! I find it easy and kind of fun! You'll be amazed at how inexpensively you can make it. My LO just turned 6 mos today, and we've only done veggies so far:
Butternut Squash
Sweet Potato
Carrots
Cauliflower

We'll be heading to bananas & avocados and trying some chunkier stuff next! To anyone who hasn't already purchased your blender or food mill - I recommend the Magic Bullet. It's really noisy, but it is compact, inexpensive and everything can go in the dishwasher!