PDA

View Full Version : If your 10 year old could fit in a harnessed carseat...

Psychomom
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
would you put him/her in one?

My 10 year old daughter is very tiny for her age and she currently sits in a Graco Turbo booster seat w/ back.

My 5 year old is average-above average in size and currently sits in a Britax Marathon but I am looking at getting her in a Regent (I think she will outgrow the Marathon in about a year or so.) I was just checking out the specs of a Regent and I believe my 10 year old will fit in one! She is 50 pounds (well below the weight limit) and 51 inches tall with a seated shoulder height of 17 inches (3 inches below the max limit for a Regent.)

I'm not running out and buying her a Regent right now but I was wondering how many people would harness a 10+ year old?

jesshb
01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
My 4 1/2 year old is in a Turbo booster with back and I can't imagine her agreeing to return to a harnessed seat....there would be much drama LOL

I didn't know about how important it was to do extended rear-facing (which our ds will do) but dd fits the height/weight requirements for the turbo booster so we're keeping her in that until she's done :thumbsup:

adahsmom
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
DD is in a Regent, and I she will stay harnessed until she outgrows it, which could be 10. In your case, I would ask DD what she thinks. Let her try one out. It might be more comfy than the turbobooster.

turtle2who
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I am getting ds a Regent when he outgrows his Roundabout and he will be in it until he outgrows it.

That said- My stepdaughter was always tiny and when they upped our state requirements for boosters (60 lbs.) she was like 63 lbs. so she didn't need one. She was 9 at the time and NEVER would have agreed to go into a booster after riding in just a belt for so long.

I think you should ask your daughter. I teach 5th graders and can't imagine any of them in a 5 point harness.

geckoed
01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
my 9.5yro is harnessed. And he's NOT tiny. And he'll be harnessed as long as possible.

syfitz
01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Well since I can't imagine putting my 6 yr old in a booster at 48lbs, 46 inches (not safe IMO), I would totally put my 9 yr old in a harness if there were any she could fit in - she is very tall, 85lbs and uses a Britax booster.

Calideedle
01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Defiantly! Mine will stay harnessed as long as they can even if thats until they are 10! Its still safer even if most 5th graders or whatever arent!

CanadianMaple
01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
It will be the law here in May. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/12/28/nb-booster.html

littlewigglebutts
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
We took our 5yo twins out of boosters and put them in Regents. They prefer the Regents because they're so much more comfortable. My kids will all be in 5pt. harnesses as long as possible. I think it's getting more and more common to keep kids in them longer. At my kids elem. school it seems like even a lot of the 3rd-4th graders are still in car seats. Also I know there are different prints, so maybe let your dd pick which one she likes as motivation. Good luck!

Calideedle
01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I didn't know about how important it was to do extended rear-facing (which our ds will do) but dd fits the height/weight requirements for the turbo booster so we're keeping her in that until she's done :thumbsup:

Not only RFing is very important but staying in a 5point harness is just as important and so much safer.

jennsmile
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
My 5 1/2 yo is in a regent. He loves his race car seat. We do use a booster when we are in Dad's car or with Grandma. Primarly he is harnessed and will be till his seat expires. At which point we will re-evaluate check to see if he passes the 5 step test or still needed a booster. He is 48 lbs. I did reharness him and he had not problem. The Regent is comfy.

I would talke to your Daughter and get her feeling on it. That said I love the Madison Regent and it might be a selling point. She would be safer, but I would rather see her in a booster used correctly than a harnessed seat used incorrectly at her age. :2cents:

Jenn

mom2riley
01-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I would most definitly use a 5pt over a booster as her main seat. If she sits well in the booster I would keep it as a back up in emergencies.

ecomother
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
My 6 year old is in a booster with a back, while my 2.5 yr old is in a harnessed seat. My 8 year old 58 pound stepson rides in a booster as well when he visits with us, but his mom doesn't use one with him AND he rides in her front seat which ticks me off but not much I can do :( Is there a link to the extended rear-facing/harnessing of older children info? - eta - D'oh! I found it in someone's siggie above, thanks! And OMG I'm definitely getting my 6 year old BACK into a 5-pt harness!!!

mom2riley
01-02-2008, 03:11 PM
My 4 1/2 year old is in a Turbo booster with back and I can't imagine her agreeing to return to a harnessed seat....there would be much drama LOL

Not only is it important to practice extended RFing, it is also very important to keep your child in a 5pt harness as long as possible. It is safest for all passengers to ride in a 5pt, although I know it is not always possible. Here (http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm) is a link to some good info as well as booster vs 5pt harness crash test video.

aept
01-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I voted that I would, but my oldest child is only 16 months, so take that answer with a grain of salt. I hope to keep him (and future children) R******, and then in 5 pt. harnesses, and then in boosters, as long as possible. I agree it would probably be harder to get an older child to "go back" to using a harness, but at least she's still in the booster and not just used to riding in the adult seat with the adult belt. Best of luck and good for you for being aware of and considering the option!

DivineNature
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
My 10 yo is not in a carseat anymore. I wish I could put him back in one, but he pretty much freaked at the idea. And, no, I don't let him make all the decisions.

Since he had already been out of one for 2 years I decided it would be too much of a struggle to put him back in one. But, whenever I hear about children his age in car accidents I worry about him.

My younger children will stay in their seats until the last possible minute. My dd is in a Regent so she should be able to stay in it forevah! I'll do the same with yds.

zukeypur
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I voted other because I currently have an 8yo in a booster. I gave her the option of a harness or booster, and she choose booster. If a booster is used properly, it is safe. As a bonus, it is easily movable from one car to another, has nice cup holders, is very comfy, and doesn't look like a baby seat. There was no way to install a Regent in our Durango properly with the newer installation requirements, so that made the decision a little easier too. I don't regret my decision at all. I know that a harness would be the safest option, but it just wasn't feasible given our situation.

syfitz
01-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Not only is it important to practice extended RFing, it is also very important to keep your child in a 5pt harness as long as possible. It is safest for all passengers to ride in a 5pt, although I know it is not always possible. Here (http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm) is a link to some good info as well as booster vs 5pt harness crash test video.

Yes, very important! My kids cannot "opt out" of safety rules. Helmets w/ bicycles, life jackets on the boat, carseats in the car, etc.

mommyof3co
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Wow I would never have even thought about a child that old being in a carseat, my almost 5yr old isn't in a booster seat anymore. He sits in between his brothers, one in an infant seat, the other a booster with back and has the seatbelt locked donw on him, but no seat. I guess if they fit it's a good idea, def couldn't hurt but we just coudln't fit a harness seat in there for him..so not an option for us.

mom2riley
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow I would never have even thought about a child that old being in a carseat, my almost 5yr old isn't in a booster seat anymore. He sits in between his brothers, one in an infant seat, the other a booster with back and has the seatbelt locked donw on him, but no seat. I guess if they fit it's a good idea, def couldn't hurt but we just coudln't fit a harness seat in there for him..so not an option for us.

There are some very skinny 5pt options. What kind of car do you have. I have an Escape (so not very big) and have many 3 across options. At the very least your 5yr old needs to be in a high back booster.

geckoed
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
My 6 year old is in a booster with a back, while my 2.5 yr old is in a harnessed seat. My 8 year old 58 pound stepson rides in a booster as well when he visits with us, but his mom doesn't use one with him AND he rides in her front seat which ticks me off but not much I can do :( Is there a link to the extended rear-facing/harnessing of older children info? - eta - D'oh! I found it in someone's siggie above, thanks! And OMG I'm definitely getting my 6 year old BACK into a 5-pt harness!!!

good for you! I moved my 8yro from a highback booster to a Regent :) It went like this "hey, we get to pick up your new car seat today" put it in, "I'm so happy to have you in a good harness so you're as safe as can be" end of story.

mommyof3co
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
It's not just a lap belt, its one with a shoulder belt and belt positioner so it fits on him right and we lock it each time we put him in. We have a Jetta and an infant seat, a pretty narrow one, Chicco, and then a Graco highback for our 2 almost 3yr old. Then my 4 almost 5yr old sits in between them. There is no room for even a backless booster, which we had and tried and we can't buckle them with them all 3 there so he rides without just it locked down.

iris0110
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Kearnan is in the Regent now at 6.5. He only weighs 37lbs. He will be in it for a very long time. My mom keeps joking that he will still be in it when he starts driving. :giggle: But yes he will ride in it until he no longer fits in it, regardless of age.

mommyof3co
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Not in Colorado...I looked at their laws before putting him in it :) Graco's highback booster is 30lbs, without the back 40lbs.

zionnecherub
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
My DD will probably move to a britax booster next year when she is 6. DS1 can move up to her regent and DS2 will move to DS1's marathon. She is tall for her age and currently 43 lbs. I dont think she would fit in her regent at age 10. I think it is fine if that works for other people, but I just dont see putting my 10 y/o in a harness.

mommyof3co
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh I know, and really if I could fit 3 harness ones back there I really would, but it just won't fit...we tried :(

BNC
01-02-2008, 08:13 PM
It's not just a lap belt, its one with a shoulder belt and belt positioner so it fits on him right and we lock it each time we put him in. We have a Jetta and an infant seat, a pretty narrow one, Chicco, and then a Graco highback for our 2 almost 3yr old. Then my 4 almost 5yr old sits in between them. There is no room for even a backless booster, which we had and tried and we can't buckle them with them all 3 there so he rides without just it locked down.

We have a Jetta too....can I ask what model kind of infant carrier you have? We have a Graco Snug ride and it barely fits in the back seat- without any other car seats! We have to pull the front passenger seat WAY up (almost all the way forward) in order to get the infant seat in the back. No one can ride in the front passenger seat when my daughter is in the car. I hate how TINY the Jetta's back seat is. There is NO WAY we could put the infant seat in the middle - neither my husband nor I could drive with the seat pulled up far enough to allow the infant carrier to be safely positioned (seriously - I am 5'4" and I can even FIT into the drivers seat, let alone actually drive with the infant seat in the middle - I cant get my knees under the steering wheel!). :thanks:

kalynn
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Having a 10 yr old in a harness has got to hurt their self-esteem and pride. We have really strict laws in TN but I have never heard of a child that old in a backed booster seat. If she is old enough and meets requirements/laws I would but her in a backless booster. Do you know someone in law-enforcement you could ask their opinion?

We have a program here called "safe and sound". They install, teach, and address laws/requirements/saftey precautions. Great group and they even answer questions over the phone. Maybe there is one in your area.

Calideedle
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
We have a Jetta too....can I ask what model kind of infant carrier you have? We have a Graco Snug ride and it barely fits in the back seat- without any other car seats! We have to pull the front passenger seat WAY up (almost all the way forward) in order to get the infant seat in the back. No one can ride in the front passenger seat when my daughter is in the car. I hate how TINY the Jetta's back seat is. There is NO WAY we could put the infant seat in the middle - neither my husband nor I could drive with the seat pulled up far enough to allow the infant carrier to be safely positioned (seriously - I am 5'4" and I can even FIT into the drivers seat, let alone actually drive with the infant seat in the middle - I cant get my knees under the steering wheel!). :thanks:

I have an '03 Jetta and have 2 Marathons - one RFing and one FFing. Both front seats are very usable! I am 5'3 also.

Calideedle
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah an adult can fit between them, it isnt roomy but I have had my siblings and father sit safely between (not at the same time, lol) the carseats.

mom2riley
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Not in Colorado...I looked at their laws before putting him in it :) Graco's highback booster is 30lbs, without the back 40lbs.

CO Law (http://babyproducts.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=babyproducts&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dot.state.co.us%2FPublications %2FBrochures%2Fchildseat03.pdf) is 1 and 20 for RFing infant. The law requires that children 20-40lbs be restrained in a FFing child seat. And the booster law is 4yrs and 40lbs minimum to be in a booster and a child must remain in a booster until they are at least 6yrs old or 55in tall.
http://www.dot.state.co.us/publications/Brochures/childseat04bw.pdf

lovinclothmama
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I would! If it meant she was safer then you betcha!
I have a Scion XA and let me tell you that is a small car. Right now we have a convertible seat (still rear facing for 11 month old and will continue to as long as possible) and soon in Feb will have a Graco Snugride infant seat. I really hope we don't have another one too close together because there is NO room in the back with those too.
Just with the convertible seat being in the car RF you have to have the seat almost all the way up. Thankfully hubby is very short :) 5'1".

momtojande
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Hmm. The crotch strap is not really an issue for a baby girl, but by 10 it might start to make her really self-consious hiking a skirt up to fasten a crotch strap.

And what about a 10 y/o girl who's already getting breasts? I think the 2 straps coming down over the shoulders would be painful.

But for a flat-chested jeans-wearing girl, no problem. :goodvibes:

Jonesy
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
That's a tough one. Have you talked with her about it? NOT that a 10 yr old is the one to decide what's best/safest for themselves. But sometimes it can be hard for them to do something that SEEMS like regression. She can work the latch, right? So it's no problem for her to get in and out on her own? It's definately worth considering. I'm all for safety :thumbsup:

sahminaz
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Having a 10 yr old in a harness has got to hurt their self-esteem and pride.

Not if they have me as a mother.
Nascar drivers are harnessed and they well over 10 years old. They are harnessed because it is safer. My dh already said when they are old enough to drive they will be riding in pink recaro race seats professionally installed in their cars. :giggle: My dds are tiny so they will probably outgrow their regents in height before weight. The regents look almost intergrated in our van, they look like race seats, not baby seats at all. We drove her kinder class in our van for a field trip and the 5-6 year olds begged to sit in one of them.

pigletmsu
01-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I wonder if this up coming seat would work for you

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=31924

The radian 65 is narrow as well if you could afford that.
I am sorry options are slim but they are there, I have had to do a few adjustments and such to get my kids safer.

Where do you buy this??? I looked at the Graco website and it's not even listed. I WANT IT!!!

mommyof3co
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
The CO law page that I saw said in a booster or a belt positioner after 40lbs..not just a booster and he does have a belt positioner to make the seatbelt fit him correctly.

We have an 05 Jetta, we have a Chicco infant seat, the one that holds up to 30lbs. Then the Graco highback. In order to fit another carseat it has to be 15in or less so if anyone can find me one we will def look into it but i couldn't find any when we were preparing for our youngest to be born. We have it set up with the Chicco behind the passenger seat so since I don't drve (we share a car) I can sit closer to the dash, the Graco booster behind my hubby and my oldest between the two.

Psychomom
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
We have really strict laws in TN but I have never heard of a child that old in a backed booster seat. If she is old enough and meets requirements/laws I would but her in a backless booster. Do you know someone in law-enforcement you could ask their opinion?
She is old enough and big enough to go without the back, but it has nothing to do with the law; it is simply safer. In the 3rd row of our minivan (where she sits), the seatbelt does not route properly down her shoulder and body without the back on the booster, so she does have to have the back in order to be belted in properly.

In the middle row captain's chairs, she can sit in the booster without the back but that's where I keep both my boys, who need help getting latched/unlatched in and out of their 5 point harnesses.

mommyfrog
01-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I voted other. My 7 1/2 year old wants a regent and would sit in one for as long as she would fit, but my 9 year old said don't even think about buying me one!! I would buy one for her if I had the money.

BelovedBird
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
My 10 yr. old is almost my height nd over 100 lbs. So, no I cannot even fathom such a thing. Might as well ask "if you could fit in harnesed car seat would you?".
But, if you have a tiny 10 yr. old, yes. :)

luvsviola
01-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I would talk to the child because at least around here, no one is harnessed that long. The law is booster til the 8th birthday. If your child feels more comfortable, great. But I would take her feelings into consideration.

BelovedBird
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I would like a 5 pt harness belt please :) I really would want to stay put in a roll over also it would be nice to go with out that severe bruising and broken collar bone or ribs from the seat belt. Also the possibility of submarining (going under the lap belt) and getting internal injures kinda makes me want a 5 pt for sure! I am in school for drafting and design, two more semesters left! I hope with this, my passion for vehicle safety we all will see lots of improvements in cars. Including 5 pts for everyone. I have heard it's already in the works. They did already take that step foward to get rid of those horrible lap belts only!
And someone mentioned a 10 yr old girl not wanting to hike up her skirt. Yeah. uhuh.

Maybe just don't use the car. Thats probably safest.

Thats what we do back home- no car. :mrgreen:

Here we have a minivan that we were given. The first one we were given had NO seatbelts. We put in lapbelts, there was no choice for anything more. That first van died and the new one has real seatbelts and I'm so thrilled!
I am considering getting boosters for the younger kids (which we couldn't have as long as we only had lap belts) but, no I cannot imagine putting my 10 yo in one. He has an almost adult body. As soon as our car comes with 5 pt. harnesses for everyone my oldest will be in one. Until then, he will be in the middle or back seat with a lap/ shoulder belt. :)

baby1577
01-03-2008, 01:48 AM
I will keep DS and all future children harnessed as long as possible. I would talk to your daughter and explain to her that you found a seat that will keep her as safe as possible, and show it to her online. If her reaction is REALLY bad, maybe wait and talk a few more times to see if she can change her mind. I understand her feelings are important, but i would just stress to her how truly important that 5pt harness can be in an accident. :goodvibes:

geckoed
01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
[QUOTE=kalynn;2414805]Having a 10 yr old in a harness has got to hurt their self-esteem and pride. QUOTE]

I disagree completely. My oldesdt isn't 10, but he IS 9.5 which is damn close. He rides in an EZ-On y-86 harness ONLY b/c I can't fit 3 seats in a row with 2 of them being Regents (which is what I would need). But when one of the other kids isn't along I can shuffle seats and he sits in a Regent. It does NOT hurt his pride or self esteem at ALL. He knows its safest, he knows I love him enough to keep him as safe as I possibly can. He knows kids can't make their own safety choices, especially little kids, he agrees its sad when small kids aren't in car seats because one reckless driver could kill them. My 8yro is very mature and rides in a regent or radian every ride, every day. She is not damaged in any way by it.
Their friends don't make fun of them either. Once in a while one will say "thats your seat?" and my kids just go "yeah" or "yeah its really soft" or "yeah its really safe" and thats it.

mom2riley
01-03-2008, 07:43 AM
The CO law page that I saw said in a booster or a belt positioner after 40lbs..not just a booster and he does have a belt positioner to make the seatbelt fit him correctly.

We have an 05 Jetta, we have a Chicco infant seat, the one that holds up to 30lbs. Then the Graco highback. In order to fit another carseat it has to be 15in or less so if anyone can find me one we will def look into it but i couldn't find any when we were preparing for our youngest to be born. We have it set up with the Chicco behind the passenger seat so since I don't drve (we share a car) I can sit closer to the dash, the Graco booster behind my hubby and my oldest between the two.

It does give you the either or option for your 4yr old. However, I will warn you that belt positioners are considered after market products. They are not crash tested. After market products are a big no no in car safety, they do not promise to save your child in an accident. Your 2 yr old should also be in a 5pt harness. I will look into it to see if anyone has suggestions for a 3 across situation in your car. I will be back in a bit.

ETA: Info on seatbelt positioners. NONE of them are allowed below 50 pounds, and they significantly increase risk of abdominal injury. Colorado is essentially advocating misuse of a product that alters the performance of a seatbelt... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/AMBeltDevices.aspx

mom2riley
01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Some 3 across options...These are all with your Chicco infant seat.

A Radian65 (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-Car-Seat/dp/B000G7YM0Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1199372955&sr=8-1) for your 2yr old with a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster (http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html) for your 4yr old. The Graco is a very wide booster, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster is much narrower, and at $30 isn't expensive at all. Those two, plus the infant seat, should work well. This is a great way to keep your 2yr old harnessed longer, since the Radian harnesses to 65lbs.

Or a Graco Platinum Cargo (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-4276740-6222543?asin=B000E0GCL2&AFID=Shopping&LNM=B000E0GCL2|Graco_Platinum_Cargo_Booster_Seat__ Black_Wilbur&ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001) and probably a Britax Parkway (http://www.albeebaby.com/brpaboseinbr.html) are also narrow/easy to buckle choices depending on your 2yr olds weight. The Graco Cargo only harnesses to 40lbs.

Here is what another tech had to say:
I was able to do 3-across with two of them boosters in our '01 VW Golf, and I'm almost positive the Jettas have more room, so it shouldn't be too hard.

In order to save her some money, I'd suggest giving the TB to the 5yo and getting a Radian for the 2yo. Then she's only buying one seat. Getting the FPSV booster would be convenient, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Put the Radian in the center, TB outboard, and the infant seat outboard. I'm not familiar with that infant seat, but it should have plenty of room next to the Radian.

My setup was TB, MA, TB, and there was room to buckle the TBs (though not easily!) so I think she should have plenty of room just by adding the Radian.

Menfusse
01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I moved my 5 year old from a booster into a Regent with no problems. Now she is 6, and 50 lbs and 49 inches and still harnessed. So she's practically the same size as your 10 year old. That being said, would I put a 10 year old that had been in a booster this long back into a harnessed seat? I dunno. I think part of the safety of a booster is about the maturity of the child riding in it. For example, if you had a huge 3 year old...well over 40 lbs and tall too, even though by size he fits the requirements for a booster, there is no way a 3 year old is mature enough to understand how to sit properly in a booster. My 6 year old is a good sized kid, and actually does well in a booster for short trips, i.e the grocery store or to the grandparents a few miles away. For that reason, she rides in a booster when in the grandparents car. However, we frequently drive for times over 30 minutes and she just can't be still past that mark. She starts leaning forward, or leaning over to her sister...ect. So, she rides in a Regent in our car. But, at 10? You have to ask your self how she's been riding in her booster. Does she always sit back? Do you have to frequently remind her to sit up and back? Does she fall asleep in the car often? I would think probably not. So, IMO, she is likely very safe in her booster as long as she is mature enough to sit properly in it.

All that being said, if it makes you feel better to have her harnessed, and she is agreeable to it, then by all means...do it. But, if she says no way, and you can trust her to continue riding safely in a booster, I don't know that I would force the isssue if it were me in the same situation. My dd frequently asks when she can go back to riding in the booster, and I have to tell her when she is able to ride for a long trip without me having to remind her how to sit, and without falling asleep. She's usually fine with that.

BNC
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah an adult can fit between them, it isnt roomy but I have had my siblings and father sit safely between (not at the same time, lol) the carseats.

How is that possible?! In our 01 Jetta when my DH is drving, The seat is so far back there is litterally 3 inches of space between the back of the drivers seat and the front of the back seat. I have to sit cross-legged on the seat to fit back there because my calf doesnt fit between the drivers seat and the back seat! And thats when he pulls it forward (if he goes any farther up his knees hit the dash under the steering wheel!). Even when I am driving there is still only like 5 inches of space. I have a convertible seat already, so maybe I will try that once dd is a bit older (I know i can use it now, but i am more comfortable with her in th infant seat right now).

mommyof3co
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Some 3 across options...These are all with your Chicco infant seat.

A Radian65 (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-Car-Seat/dp/B000G7YM0Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1199372955&sr=8-1) for your 2yr old with a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster (http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html) for your 4yr old. The Graco is a very wide booster, the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster is much narrower, and at $30 isn't expensive at all. Those two, plus the infant seat, should work well. This is a great way to keep your 2yr old harnessed longer, since the Radian harnesses to 65lbs.

Or a Graco Platinum Cargo (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-4276740-6222543?asin=B000E0GCL2&AFID=Shopping&LNM=B000E0GCL2|Graco_Platinum_Cargo_Booster_Seat__ Black_Wilbur&ref=tgt_adv_XSC10001) and probably a Britax Parkway (http://www.albeebaby.com/brpaboseinbr.html) are also narrow/easy to buckle choices depending on your 2yr olds weight. The Graco Cargo only harnesses to 40lbs.

Here is what another tech had to say:

And are those two seats together either 32 or less? Cause the Graco booster we have is 17in and that leaves us with 15 or less for the middle seat.

Also the belt positioner we use is the one that comes with Graco carseats, we have it attached to the seatblet then to the thing the seat belt goes into and have it tightened down on him. But that one is made for when you use the backless booster and that's for 4yrs old and 40lbs...so his age and weigh range. Then once buckled we pull the seatbelt all the way out and have it lock down on him.

Calideedle
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
How is that possible?! In our 01 Jetta when my DH is drving, The seat is so far back there is litterally 3 inches of space between the back of the drivers seat and the front of the back seat. I have to sit cross-legged on the seat to fit back there because my calf doesnt fit between the drivers seat and the back seat! And thats when he pulls it forward (if he goes any farther up his knees hit the dash under the steering wheel!). Even when I am driving there is still only like 5 inches of space. I have a convertible seat already, so maybe I will try that once dd is a bit older (I know i can use it now, but i am more comfortable with her in th infant seat right now).

I will try and take some pics today.

We have DD RFing in a Marathon behind the passenger seat and DS FFing in a Marathon behind the Drivers seat.

On long rides I am able to fit back there, in the seatbelt, to nurse my DD because she hates the car.

I have plenty of space when I am driving (FFing carseat behind me) I am 5'3. My DH 5'8 can drive the Jetta just fine with room for him and room for DS behind him.

How are your carseats positioned? (I may have missed it)

I will try and take pics in a few!

I Smile Because Of Them
01-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Oh my God, I just had a thought. According to laws I should have been in a carseat as a 14 year old freshman in highschool! :rofl:

ksera05
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh my God, I just had a thought. According to laws I should have been in a carseat as a 14 year old freshman in highschool! :rofl:

I know of some grandmas who ride in backless booster seats - makes the car more comfortable for them!

mom2riley
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
And are those two seats together either 32 or less? Cause the Graco booster we have is 17in and that leaves us with 15 or less for the middle seat.

Also the belt positioner we use is the one that comes with Graco carseats, we have it attached to the seatblet then to the thing the seat belt goes into and have it tightened down on him. But that one is made for when you use the backless booster and that's for 4yrs old and 40lbs...so his age and weigh range. Then once buckled we pull the seatbelt all the way out and have it lock down on him.

Yes, they are. The Radian at its largest point is 17in (this is the side wings that do not go against the seat) and at its smallest 13in (this is the part that must touch the seat). The FPSVB is:
I got someone else to measure their FP...
OK, narrowest setting first:
Outside measurement is 14" at the widest, inside measurement is 10.25"
at the narrowest
Widest setting:
Outside 16" at the widest, inside is 12.5" at the narrowest

So it can adjust in the widest area to puzzle perfectly with the Radian. It is a super easy booster to buckle and would work perfectly in the outboard position.

As far as the belt positioner you are using goes. This is what I was told by a tech. That belt positioner will put the shoulder belt in a place that appears to be proper. However, it does not position the lapbelt and it's the lapbelt that does all the damage to kids, really, which is why a booster lifts them up to get the belt onto the bony hips and off the soft abdomen.

momto3Es
01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
If my 10 year old still fits in a harnessed seat, then he'll sit in one. I'm the momma (and the CPST), and I know that EVERYONE, no matter their age, weight, or "self-esteem", would be safer in a 5 point harness.

BNC
01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I will try and take some pics today.

We have DD RFing in a Marathon behind the passenger seat and DS FFing in a Marathon behind the Drivers seat.

On long rides I am able to fit back there, in the seatbelt, to nurse my DD because she hates the car.

I have plenty of space when I am driving (FFing carseat behind me) I am 5'3. My DH 5'8 can drive the Jetta just fine with room for him and room for DS behind him.

How are your carseats positioned? (I may have missed it)

I will try and take pics in a few!

Right now I only have one car seat - a Graco Snug Ride Infant carrier. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2662634
It is behind the passenger seat with the front seat pulled ALL the way up. I can sit in the front passenger seat, but my knees touch the dashboard. If I put the front seat back any farther, it hits the infant carrier and pushes it out of position. We tried for the middle with the carrier, but I cant drive with my knees touching the dashboard, and DH cant even get into the front seats with the infant carrier in the middle (he is 6'). I have a convertable seat, but I havent tried it - it looks longer than the infant seat and like there would be LESS room rather than more. It is a Alpha Omega Convertable http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401317.

TeachinAuntie
01-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I answered no, but I don't have any kids, and after thinking about it I probably would. My niece is 9 and she will stay in her turbo booster until she maxes out on its limits (which are also the state limits). She hates that I make her ride in it though. My nephew is 11 and is way too big for any kind of seat, but I don't let him ride up front! (which he also hates)

I think if it were my child, I'd have to see how it went over & how the kid would handle it. I wouldn't want her to get picked on at school b/c she rides in a carseat, ya know? (I figure we made it right? with NO car seat belts!) (well not me, but my sister!)

mommyof3co
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, they are. The Radian at its largest point is 17in (this is the side wings that do not go against the seat) and at its smallest 13in (this is the part that must touch the seat). The FPSVB is:
I got someone else to measure their FP...
OK, narrowest setting first:
Outside measurement is 14" at the widest, inside measurement is 10.25"
at the narrowest
Widest setting:
Outside 16" at the widest, inside is 12.5" at the narrowest

So it can adjust in the widest area to puzzle perfectly with the Radian. It is a super easy booster to buckle and would work perfectly in the outboard position.

As far as the belt positioner you are using goes. This is what I was told by a tech. That belt positioner will put the shoulder belt in a place that appears to be proper. However, it does not position the lapbelt and it's the lapbelt that does all the damage to kids, really, which is why a booster lifts them up to get the belt onto the bony hips and off the soft abdomen.

The lap belt actually fits on him really well, we do lock it down and pull it tight, not really tight of course but tight where he's held in there and it fits him fine. But I will look into that carseat...I really can't afford anything really expensive right now with Christmas just passing, do you knowthe price range and a site that has the one your talking about? I wish I had known about it before my youngest was born :)

Calideedle
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
(I figure we made it right? with NO car seat belts!) (well not me, but my sister!)

Some made it! And people also drove at slower speeds then too!

KindaCrunchyMomma
01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Right now I only have one car seat - a Graco Snug Ride Infant carrier. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2662634
It is behind the passenger seat with the front seat pulled ALL the way up. I can sit in the front passenger seat, but my knees touch the dashboard. If I put the front seat back any farther, it hits the infant carrier and pushes it out of position. We tried for the middle with the carrier, but I cant drive with my knees touching the dashboard, and DH cant even get into the front seats with the infant carrier in the middle (he is 6'). I have a convertable seat, but I havent tried it - it looks longer than the infant seat and like there would be LESS room rather than more. It is a Alpha Omega Convertable http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401317.

A friend of mine has an 02 Jetta and had the same problem with their Snug Ride... the passenger seat had to be all the way shoved forward for that huge thing to fit! She now has her ds in a Decathalon rear facing and she has way more room!

mom2riley
01-04-2008, 08:37 AM
The lap belt actually fits on him really well, we do lock it down and pull it tight, not really tight of course but tight where he's held in there and it fits him fine. But I will look into that carseat...I really can't afford anything really expensive right now with Christmas just passing, do you knowthe price range and a site that has the one your talking about? I wish I had known about it before my youngest was born :)

I completely understand with the holidays just passing. Here is the Radian (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000G7YM0Q/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20) and here is the FPSVB (http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html). You may want to check http://www.car-seat.org/ they have a carseat swap section and sometimes techs are no longer using there seat and will sell it there, I would normally not advocate used seats, but there are many trusted techs on the site who would never sell a seat that had a questionable history. Also ebay if you can get one NIB, I wouldn't trust a used seat off of ebay. You may be able to save some money that way.

JustAugust
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
In theory, I'd say yes, but in reality, one growth spurt and she'll be too tall for the Regent. 5pt. harness is incredibly important, but when she's only 3 inches away from outgrowing it, I wouldn't spend the money. The turbobooster is very similar to the britax parkway, right? With head protection, etc? I'd just stay with that. If you can find a 5pt. that has higher height limits, then I'd go with it though. But I think the Regent is it... have you looked into the Radians, Recaros, etc?

JustAugust
01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Throwing in the Kyle Miller video for those that think that 5pt. harness seats aren't important for those who can fit in them. :) (I haven't read any of the threads except for the OPs, so it's not directed at anyone).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Jillybean
01-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a hard time imagining a 10 yr old in a regent, but I guess if my child were small enough and I could buy one I would. My 9.5 yr old has been in a seat belt for 2 years but he is 5ft tall and nearly 90lbs. Although I do realize now he could've stayed in his booster a little longer. My nearly 8 yr old DD is in a turbo booster still and she is about 4ft 7 if I remember right, she may be a little taller now. If I knew she'd fit and could afford one I'd buy her a regent.

BNC
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
A friend of mine has an 02 Jetta and had the same problem with their Snug Ride... the passenger seat had to be all the way shoved forward for that huge thing to fit! She now has her ds in a Decathalon rear facing and she has way more room!

Thanks! I will have to look into that!

Kaitlin&Noahsmommy
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes, I would!
I think adults would be safer in a 5 point as well! I know that's kind of ridiculous though.

EmmalinesMom
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
My 6.5 year old is still in a 5pt harness and has never known any different. She'll be in one until it's no longer possible.

lilmama2dsndd
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
If I could fit in my DS' regent I would get one for me! Man alive is that thing COMFORTABLE! DS loves his big seat and he will be in it until he has outgrown it. DD is in a Marathon and when she outgrows in will also get a regent (or whatever high weight limit seat is out then).

abacus2
01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I vote other. It depends on the kid and the situation. Unless the child was extremely tiny or could not sit correctly in a booster I doubt very much I would insist on a full time harness. If they had trouble sitting well in a booster for extended periods of time, I might insist on a harness for longer trips. I might insist on a harness for convenience in a tight car situation where buckling a harness was easier than buckling a booster. I also might educate my child about the options and let them choose.