PDA

View Full Version : What Plates/Bowls/Cups Do Your Kids Use?

ksja
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I am desperately trying to move away from all plastics. I have always hated them and now with the issues with China-made products and BPA and leeching and all that, I want the plastics out of our house. So I started with sippy cups. I thought we'd get Kleen Kanteen, but they are MIC. So I thought we'd go with Born Free, but even though they are BPA-free, they are still plastic. My next thought was Sigg, but then I heard that the recipe for the ceramic inside was proprietary and no one (consumer) know what it actually is. Foogo (which is what my kids are currently drinking out of) is not only MIC but also aluminum. That can't be good, can it?

And then there's the issue of plates. I'd happily hand over our china, but it would be destroyed as soon as it left my hands. Do people use wooden plates? Stainless steel? I can hear the banging already!

What about bowls? Where do I even go about finding non-plastic kiddy plates and bowls?!?!

Help!!!

titania
01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
i don't know how old your twinkies are, but i started my boys using some glass (porceline? not sure) plates we got from ikea. like 6" plates and some shallow bowls, about 5". they do well with them, and have since they were about 1.5 ish. now that they are eating more at each meal they use the salad plates from our regular dishes, and some shallow, but adult, bowls we have. i recently got them some small drinking glasses from the goodwill. i think corelle is sturdy, and not exactly plastic (or is it? :headscratch: ). also you might look into camping dishes- i am brain dead right now, sorry, but im sure you have seen it- usually a solid green or blue with white spots all over it. :blush: sorry, i know im clear as mud right now.

ksja
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmm... I never thought about getting some cheaper ceramic/porcelain plates for them to use. I could easily do that and then not worry about them breaking our general use sets. Thanks for the idea!

Anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

april-2006
01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm looking for bamboo plates. I found one at crate and barrel and it's on sale. But I'm too cheap to pay shipping....

But.... corelle is *I think* glass with a glaze and the low-lead dinnerware site says that corelle is safe. My DH's cousin has these and she says she drops them and bangs them around and everything and they just don't break. So I may pick up a piece or two for Robert to use until he decides he's done throwing his plate. He generally uses our every day china (although it's more like stoneware) or a plastic tray that I never put in the microwave or dishwasher, but he's in a 'let's throw the plate when I'm done' phase right now.

AlexandZoesmom
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
My LO isn;t using dishes yet but just wanted to say... Corelle is our daily use dishwear and I love it, it takes so much abuse. that said when it does break (rarely - 2 dishes in 8 years I think) it does shatter in a million sharp pieces. Just a PSA - that said, we do like it :)

angelnavywife
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
My boys use our regular dishes (it was a Target set we got at our wedding 8 years ago, nothing expensive), and I started my youngest with regular drinking glasses at 2. We just teach 2 hands at all times, and be careful. I break a LOT more than they ever have.

Raquelita
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
FWIW, not all plastics leach or have BPA. The Ikea plastic dishes are polypropylene which is considered safe (obviousy still don't heat in them even though they claim microwave safe) - but i don't worry about using those.

I also second Corelle and some of the Anchorhock or Pyrex glass bowls - those are thick and don't break when dropped on the linoleum or wood floor.

velouria
01-04-2008, 01:27 AM
As for plates & bowls, we've always had Isaac use our regular stoneware or china. He has never dropped one (rarely even picks them up) so breakage hasn't been an issue. I wouldn't care if he dropped one of the stoneware plates or bowls - I got them super cheap YEARS ago. And our nice expensive bone china would probably be impossible to break even if he happened to drop it.

I don't know why it's never occurred to me to use anything other than unbreakable plastic cups, though. :headscratch: I guess I figured those would be more likely to be dropped because of all the hand to mouth motion and because they can get wet on the outside and become slippery.

FWIW, his plastic cups are from Ikea. I'm glad to know they're polypropylene, not plastic. :thumbsup:

mercy589
01-04-2008, 10:04 PM
polypropylene is a type of plastic

krpdreams
01-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Generally we use the same dishes as the little ones. Then again she made it her "job" to carry all dishes to the sink when she feels we are done eating so the only problem we have is making sure that when we put away the clean dishes they really are teh clean dishes and not the dirty ones. As for glasses I haven't gotten anything but regular sippy cups. I know bad but it's what I have right now and when I replace them it will probably be with regular cups/mugs and it will only be allowed in the kitchen.

katy_mb3
01-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I haven't read the other replys, so sorry if this is redundant...

My LOs just use our regular stoneware, which is a cheapie set anyway. That way if they do break anything (which they haven't yet), it's not a big loss. We shy away from Corelle bigtime because I knocked a bowl off the table once and it shattered into a billion little slivers. NOT fun, especilaay w/ LOs who always want to run around barefoot. I was paranoid for weeks that there was pieces left on the floor that I'd missed....

For glasses, my LOs just use small mason jars. We've had a few dropped on the kitchen floor (hardwood), but none have broken. :thumbsup: And if one were to break, I think it just breaks into several big pieces, not millions of small ones.

malyita
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
We are all about Corelle here, though I'm not sure where they are made. My entire extended family uses them and they are great with kids. We use bamboo baby "silverware", and I know you can get bamboo plates and bowls too if you want something that really won't break. Also, we are a Montessori-inspired family, so we use sturdy shot glasses for the baby rather than a sippy cup so they are glass. We do, however, have KK for the whole family. They may be made in China, but my most paranoid friend did a ton of research on water bottles and determined them to be the best option. Sigg makes me very nervous. You could try camping equipment stores for metal dish/cup options.

ksja
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Why does Sigg make you nervous? :nervous: I just bought one!

Harper's Mommy
01-11-2008, 10:22 PM
DH and I were just contemplating buying enamel (http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1500/.f) for our daughter. Anyone tried that? Otherwise she uses our Fiestaware!

And I second the...how come Sigg makes one nervous?

:goodvibes:

lulusmom
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a wooden bowl and spoon set from Three Sisters for when dd starts eating food. Also, mil gave us a really nice silver baby set of fork, knife and spoon. She said that the trace amounts of silver that dd would be getting from using them would keep her from getting sick! :thumbsup: