PDA

View Full Version : Eczema

EcoTykesMama
01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm basically an epi-pen mom with a little guy who has a ton of allergies (YAY us - NOT) and my little lizard has had another scaly attack and his face is regenerating. Currently, the only thing I use is natural lanolin as it keeps his face from getting dry and reduces / eliminates the cracking. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Mirasmom
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
You can try hydrocortisone cream underneath the lanolin. We use Trimacinolone cream in eucerin, but it's prescription. Triple paste now makes and eczema cream too, but imo it's about the same as eucerin. Baby oil also works good for us, but I wouldn't use it if the skin was broken...

shalene
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I have eczema and mine has been a lot better since I switched to Charlie's soap for our laundry. Detergents and soaps makes a big difference for me.

infantrywife_101
01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
My DD has horible eczema and the Aveno (sp??) calming cream does wonders for her.

MelodyB
01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
be sure there aren't any of his allergens in any of the bath/body/cleaning/laundry products either. I've got a slew of FA's, as does my dd. I recently found out there was soy in our detergent, and corn derivitives in just about everything (that's my external exczema trigger). We're using California Baby currently, which did wonders for my dd's exczema. It does have corn derivitives though, so it's not completely safe for me.

They hide everywhere!

Kaede's Mom
01-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I am with PP in that you need to find out what is causing it. For my DD it ended up being preservatives in her food. Once that was cleared up we had it come back and I ruled out that the laundry soap was the culprit. Then I found out she has a sulfer alergie so anything with sulfate in it, food, soap, body wash, ect.

I used aveno for a while, but it just didnt work realy well. I didnt want to use the prescription either. Regualr Hydrocortizone cream worked realy well for us too.

marieliza
01-16-2008, 11:28 PM
ooh, good timing on posting this. I just took dd to her 4 mont well check and asked the doctor about a rash that I thought was yeast because it went away when I used paper diapers. Doctor doesn't think so though, she said it looked like eczema. Now reading this post makes me think itmust bein the detergent and that is why it is worse when she wears cloth - which I'd very much like to keep her in! So, how do I find out what is causing it? I currently use Kirklands (costco brand) detergent that has no added smells/dyes/etc. She never had any rashes until a few weeks ago. does it make sense that she wouldn't have developed an allergy until 3.5 months?

jadekat
01-17-2008, 06:22 AM
My DD first showed signs of eczema right before her 2nd birthday. I have her on a perscription cream and I use Aquifor lotion. I think hers is cause by dairy but I don't know. I just started taking her to a dermatologist a few months ago. Can the dermatologist do tests to figure out what is causing it?

EcoTykesMama
01-17-2008, 06:37 AM
My little guy's eczema is caused by food based allergens and is exacerbated by stresses like teething. Our joke is that he's allergic to the entire planet - we only feed him the stuff that doesn't kill him - haha. We changed all the detergents in the house just before he was born because dh also has skin issues, so now it's a waiting game to see the baby grows out of the bulk of them. I want to stay away from hydro-cortizone creams because they really shouldn't be used long term - like more than a couple of weeks, at least that's what I've been told. He was allergy tested (yes, with needles) at four months after dropping a ton of weight. Or constantly gaining and losing...

Go breastfeeding go!

He also has ezcema reactions on his bottom which turn into real rashes if he eats something he shouldn't. Which involves a lot of airing out and healing and mommy made special creams. But I was hoping something existed that was more stable that I could just buy...

huntingflower
01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
My girl has this and I switched all our laundry items to all natural good for you products. As well I switched our soap to the pumpkin patch soap (made for eczema) from http://www.rockymountainsoap.com and bought the body butter. It has worked wonders for her skin. Sometimes in the summer she has a flare up due to the heat. Then I use a cream for it. My husband has bad eczema and I just purchased the new spectro gel stuff and it is amazing too.

jason&jilliansmama
01-17-2008, 09:03 AM
My sil's two young boys (3 and 2) both have bad excema. The only thing that's worked for them is *get this* Hawaiian Tropics Tanning Oil. She doesnt' know what's in it that works, but they have not have flareups in close to a year since she's started using it!

EcoTykesMama
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Huh! I visited their site. Love the fact they have a separate ezcema category. Even better that they offer all the ingredients on-line. It looks super-natural. I use the standard spectro-jel for my face but have recently heard of the one for kids. Where on earth do you get your hands on it and what precisely is the dh using then?

As for the Hawaiian tropics, it may have some gardenia in addition to a heavy healing emolient to help with the seal/heal response. How does she tolerate the smell?

EcoTykesMama
01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I just went to the site. Awesome! Looks great and I love the fact they list all their ingredients online. I wonder if anyone carries this stuff in town? What is the new spectro-gel stuff?

I can see how Hawaiian tropics may work, it would be really emolient and probably has gardenia or some other anti-infammatory stuff in it. It smells fairly strongly though...

infantrywife_101
01-17-2008, 09:06 PM
She never had any rashes until a few weeks ago. does it make sense that she wouldn't have developed an allergy until 3.5 months?

Children can develop an allergy at anytime to anything. They are very finicky things :giggle2:

EcoTykesMama
01-19-2008, 12:47 PM
The standard is that children are both born with allergies and grow out of them by age 3 or grow into them by age three. Of course, this can also happen during any period of stress such as puberty and so forth, as well as for no discernable reason - which tends to happen with a lot of intolerances which is an immune response to overexposure to foods and environmental stimuli. So yeah, it can drive you :banghead: !!!

Children can develop an allergy at anytime to anything. They are very finicky things :giggle2:

jeanieande
01-19-2008, 01:04 PM
My little one has Eczema and is prone to outbreak at any given time. I'm fairly sure that a trip to a dermatologist is in order, but I'm hesitant to use too strong of medicines on him. Will be watching this thread to see what everyone has to say. And.... has anyone heard of using florasone for eczema? The local Whole Food store carries it and apparently it's a natural alternative to a steroid cream.

opheliabliss
01-19-2008, 10:40 PM
If your looking for Natural excema remedies here are a few (I also know a tone of other ways that arn't totaly natural I can post those to if you like)

-Grape seed oil (not grapefruit seed oil very different) work wonders. Lather on just out of the tub or just before you bath to lock in moisture or any time.

-Put Vitamin E on the affected area it calms the itching.

-oatmeal baths (stops itchness) and mix almond oil or other natural oils

- Peel a banana and rub the peel onto your skin. Wait 10 minutes then rinse in warm water (no soap.) Sounds silly but works & my DD likes playing "banana"

-Evening Primrose (comes in capsules - you prick it with a pin). You apply it directly on the affected area and it you should see results with a few days. If you are treating a larger area, you can dilute it with olive oil.

-Neem (neem oil) is a most effective eczema herbal remedy.Neem contains a natural anti-histamine which hinders reaction and aids relief.

-Multi vitamins!!!!!!!

-Probiotics!!!! If your still nursing the Mom can take them if the child is bottle fed or already on solids can be mixed into formula, juice, food, or my DD is able to swallow the gel caps we use. Probiotics alleviate symptoms of eczema only in infants and children who are sensitized to food allergens by balancing the natrual bacteria in the intestines & boosting imunity.

-Chamomile is very skin soothing & can be found in a cream formula (or brew some tea & add it to bath time

Oh my!!! I prob could think of some more:phew:
& will prob edit this to add more:blush:

I my self have lived with excema 27 years & my DD has joined the club
for 16mo :doh:

hunterNkarter
01-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I've always had eczema....I've tried honestly EVERYTHING from changing soaps, laundry detergents, what I ate---there were times it got so bad on my ankle I actually had to go to the ER cause I swelled up and it itched so bad that I was crying.
The only thing that has worked has been a paste actually meant for diaper butts! I recently lost my jar under our couch for 2 weeks and my eczema came back---I honestly did a victory dance when we found it.
It's by London Frogg.... it's the Organic Frogg Jelly (http://londonfrogg.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14). Being organic and natural with lots of great oils...I think that's what really helped me. The over the counter stuff always made me worse, burned, or just made me itch even more.
I see all these eczema creams, lotions, potions and everything out there and it just doesn't work...not long term anyway. I've probably spent well over $2000 in the past three years on things dealing with my eczema...and can't say enough about my $6 jar of the "green stuff"!!

Hopefully this would help your son....couldn't hurt to try....although if the problem is on his face I'd first try whatever on another body part-especially if he has so many allergies just in case.

EcoTykesMama
01-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I tried e-mailing them for an ingredient list and their contact us function wasn't working. :cry:

I've always had eczema....I've tried honestly EVERYTHING from changing soaps, laundry detergents, what I ate---there were times it got so bad on my ankle I actually had to go to the ER cause I swelled up and it itched so bad that I was crying.
The only thing that has worked has been a paste actually meant for diaper butts! I recently lost my jar under our couch for 2 weeks and my eczema came back---I honestly did a victory dance when we found it.
It's by London Frogg.... it's the Organic Frogg Jelly (http://londonfrogg.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14).

Hopefully this would help your son....couldn't hurt to try....although if the problem is on his face I'd first try whatever on another body part-especially if he has so many allergies just in case.