PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for our new EC forum! What is it for? Read on!

Aletheia
01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I am delighted to see this forum is now up and running. I hope this will be a great place to find used EC gear and swap tips and stories.

For those of you who have never heard of "EC" or "Elimination Communication," here's the skivvy:

EC, also known as Natural Infant Hygiene or Infant Potty Learning, is the practice of seeking to help your baby, from as young as from birth, to eliminate in a place other than his or her pants. A baby's first potty could be a mixing bowl held between mom's knees, a prefold diaper spread out underneath baby, the bathroom sink, or even a teeny little plastic potty. There is no coercion involved, and even parents who work out of the home can make the practice beneficial for all involved. It is not uncommon for EC'd babies to be out of diapers for weeks at a time (developmental milestones often undermine the process a bit) by the time they are 5 or 6 months old.

Intrigued? Does it sound like a bunch of hooey? Rest assured, it's not! Babies all over the world have begun their trek to potty independence early on for ages. Does it work? Yes, plain and simple. Is it developmentally inappropriate for your baby? Heck no. Regardless of what the American Pediatric Association says, babies younger than 18 months can-- and do-- have control over their sphincters.

This isn't the place for a full on education, but there are other good places. The best is probably diaperfreebaby.org. And even babycenter.com has a very informative article on EC (complete with pro and con standpoints.) So surf around, do some reading, and give it the benefit of the doubt. You know early on if your baby is hungry, lonely, or cold... why not begin to look for signs that she might be uncomfortable due to her need to pee or poop? It's not so shocking a thought.

Good luck! And if you feel the need to "talk" to someone who has actually practiced EC, feel free to PM me-- my son is 17 months old, and though he can't yet say "potty", he has been using the ASL sign for "toilet" since he was 12 months old, and I've cleaned fewer than 1 poopy diaper a week since he was born.

goofycutemom
01-19-2008, 01:24 AM
i try to e.c. - and we have our good days and bad days :banghead: - introducing solids means that I have found more "suprises" in the poo dept when I go to change her - I am excited that we have an e.c. place on here now - cant wait to get to know other e.c.'rs
:giggle:

Quinn's mama
01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Yay! Super excited about the new forum!

mhaddon
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
is it ever too late? DS1 is PLed and ds2 is 1 year, however we're out and aboout a lot, does that undermine it? nak

kthiday
01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
OMG- I had no idea this was here!!!! I am super excited. We ECed DS big time- he was almost PL at 10mo, but then started walking and lost interest. Such as life. Then he was doing really well, but regressed when DD was born (which I heard was normal, but still frustrating). Now (and actually just this week) we are done for good with the dipes- he's 2yrs 3mo. Not too bad. But I have found it a bit more difficult to EC DD since I am chasing DS around. So it's nice to have the support of other like minded mamas. Woo Hooo:lostit:

kthiday
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
is it ever too late? DS1 is PLed and ds2 is 1 year, however we're out and aboout a lot, does that undermine it? nak

It's NEVER too late, however they say the best window of opportunity is before 3mo, then next best before 6mo, etc, but it's never too late- anything will make PL easier to achieve!

OrganicMom
01-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Great forum! I'm a big fan of EC. We did it part time with our first daughter and it was fun. We are doing it full time with our 2nd daughter and not only is it fun, but I almost never have to change a poopy diaper :) My daughter is 9 months old and has been signing "potty" and "all done" for a month or so now - how cool is that?! She is all smiles when pooping or peeing in the potty and is quite proud of herself. I have her sit on a padded potty seat on the big potty so poop cleanup at our house just involves a flush - yay!

kthiday
01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Great forum! I'm a big fan of EC. We did it part time with our first daughter and it was fun. We are doing it full time with our 2nd daughter and not only is it fun, but I almost never have to change a poopy diaper :) My daughter is 9 months old and has been signing "potty" and "all done" for a month or so now - how cool is that?! She is all smiles when pooping or peeing in the potty and is quite proud of herself. I have her sit on a padded potty seat on the big potty so poop cleanup at our house just involves a flush - yay!

thats the best part- NO POOPY DIPES!!!! when people ask me how I clean the poop out of CD, and I explain that I don't have too, I always get *looks*- I love to explain why... sometimes they think I'm crazy, but sometimes not. I actually get more positive comments from people that are NOT parents- they seem to be more open minded:headscratch:

sillyutalktome
01-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I am so excited! I read about EC while TTC and was just sure this is what I wanted to do. Well I'm 3 1/2 months pregnant now and honestly I am so excited about getting to try EC. To me it's more fun to think about than even baby clothes. But no one I know understands at all why I want to try this. I'm glad I'll have support on here.

OrganicMom
01-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I am so excited! I read about EC while TTC and was just sure this is what I wanted to do. Well I'm 3 1/2 months pregnant now and honestly I am so excited about getting to try EC. To me it's more fun to think about than even baby clothes. But no one I know understands at all why I want to try this. I'm glad I'll have support on here.

I get so excited to hear people thinking about EC-ing from the start. After having started late (at 5 months) with our first daughter and having started from the start (1 week) with our 2nd daughter, I can tell what a big difference it makes. Babies learn a lot (and get used to things) in the first few months of life!

mammaofbean
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
:lostit: i love ec and am so glad to see this forum

nalazimbala
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I guess this forum just started? i love this! we've been ecing w/ dd since she was abt 4 weeks & she's now 6m...i'm not great at getting all the pee but she only has abt 2 poopy dipes a month or so now!

gnmiranda
01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
so, you gals have inspired me to give this a shot! lol my 5 mo old woke up from a long nap i put him on the potty no luck.. so i nurse him and right after that i put him on the potty.. and low an behold he poopys and pee's! lol im excited to give this a shot.. he has horrible excema and i have been having an awful time keeping his bottom from getting so bad with diapers! :( poor baby, anyways i hope this works out for us! i just hate to see him in pain when his excema brakes his bottom out and makes it worse with diapers.

TaivensMama
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I was stoked to stumble upon this section while going to the craft section of FSOT, I thought I was seeing things!! haha

sdevonh
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm so glad that this forum has been started. We've been ECing since Devon was four months old and I really don't know anyone else who does it.

Quinn's mama
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=gnmiranda;2593707] so i nurse him and right after that i put him on the potty.. and low an behold he poopys and pee's! QUOTE]

Congrats! How exciting! Good luck :thumbsup:

jhf
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm so glad to see this new forum!

We've been EC'ing since birth, but my DD's (14 months) has been on a prolonged potty strike lately. It's very frustrating, so I'm glad to have somewhere to chat with other EC'ers. The non-EC people I know have been telling me that the potty strike is "proof" that I've scarred her for life by starting pottying so early.

GreenGoddess
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
We started our son when he was 3 months- meant to start sooner, but was 'afraid' to jump right in...

Contacted some ladies who were doing it with their kids and spent an afternoon watching what they did. EASY as pie!

Some tips-
Try to be consistant- if you can't do it all the time:

try in the morning right after wake up.

try after meals- you may find 5-10 minutes afterwards works- or maybe your wee one has a different idea time schedule.

try right before, or ESP> right after naps.

try before baths, and right before putting down for the night

We had success early on and it was very encouraging!

My son like to sit on his bb and read from a pile of books we keep stacked right there for his distraction pleasure- Sometimes it is hard to get him off the potty!

Even if you get one poo a day (which is a great start),
That is one less dirty diaper to wash, one less disposable in the landfill, on less poopy butt to clean up~

I love the time I spend with my son on his bb, it is some of the only time I can get him to sit still!

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Gwen-
Mama to my little tree, Sequoia- Tree Huggers, we are!

joanna19
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM
yea!!! we do ec part time, altho lately i have not been so successful. oh well, we don't stress about it...if we catch it great, if not, great too! :thumbsup: