PDA

View Full Version : Green Sippy Cup

wildbirdjt
01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Is there a "safe" alternative for a sippy cup. My 9 mo old is learning to use a cup but really needs handles to be able to grip it. She will also throw it, turn it upside down, etc. so I'm afraid to use glass or one that is not somewhat spill proof. Any suggestions? (She is breastfed and has only used a bottle very rarely so I am trying to skip bottles and go directly to a cup) Thanks!!

pearryandbellasmama
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Well we use Siggs but ds is 22 months old , and he's been using it since he's been about 15/16 months. I think you can try Born free for your younger one. http://www.newbornfree.com/pics/bornfree/bf4.htm?gclid=CMj8m72GkJECFUtyOAodsTZZ3g

clarinetb
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
There is Kleen Kanteen as well, but I don't think you can put the handles on them, which you can for SIGG. Kleen Kanteen is stainless steel and SIGG is lined aluminum.

(The KK are on sale at reusablebags.com and DiaperTraders has a discount code listed in their co-op section - if that is of any interest).

alidb36
01-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a Born Free sippy cup I use with my 6 month old son (granted we are just trying to get him used to it-the only drawback being the price-but if you get a bunch of people to go in on them, the website has deals for 'bulk' (being about 10) cups purchased!

abbey71
01-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I think the Sigg is intended for toddlers due to the type of sippy top it has. I would use the Born Free Training Cup. They have a training cup and a drinking cup. The training cup is intended for younger babies who are learning.

wildbirdjt
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks, mamas!:) I'm going to try and find the Born Free ones next time I go to Birmingham which I'm planning to do within the next week. The site says their products are at Babies R Us and Whole Foods so hopefully one of them carries the training cups.

My 9 yr old son has the Kleen Kanteen we take to sporting games and practices. I just wish it didn't get so cold and condensated on the outside. (usually muddy by the time the game is over)

EcoTykesMama
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Another good manufacturer is Nuby. However, not everyone is a fan of the soft spout. It was a good transition cup for my breastfed guys who'd never sucked on anything plastic before in their lives. They are bisphenol-a free.

LuckyDwarf
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I think Thermos brand Foogo products are a safe alternative too. Insulated, making it great for offering milk.

EcoTykesMama
01-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I was wondering, which is the better bang for the amount of money spent? I must admit, I still use the sippy cups for my 4yo soccer games and such because they don't leak in the car and carry the amount of water he needs. Opinions?

ilovemyfamily
01-26-2008, 09:28 AM
I have been wondering the same thing about a "better" sippy cup.
We have used avent (liked the soft spout and handles but leaked), playtex (hard spout but didn't leak and was probably bad in all sorts of ways) and maybe more. I did just get a nuby straw type cup for our 3yo since she still spills and I sometimes just want something easy.

The born free looks good but I'd really like to go even cheaper with the nuby if it's just as good and if it doesn't leak. Does anyone know if it leaks at all?

Mrs.Haggie810
01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Both my Nuby's leak, but only if my DS messes with the vent on the spout. Otherwise, they don't leak much. Are you sure Nuby is BPA free? I would be so excited, b/c that means I don't have to replace a bunch of my sippy cups!! =)