PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dipes do you use?

gracefaith
01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I am about to loose my mind trying to get my cover and snappied prefold off every time DS wants to potty. The FBs I use at night work SO much better, but as diapers go, I much prefer my prefolds, but I feel like if we EC any more seriously, I am going to have to totally rethink my diapering approach.

What do you guys do?

ddewan
01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I have the same question... what dipes are good for a 4 month old and a 20 month old, both of which I am trying to ec?

mammaofbean
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
i use anything but lean towards prefolds and fitteds, no cover. this prefold belt i just got is brilliant, it is going to be what i use most at home when i don't just have him naked. often i just sit him on a prefold on my lap or in his swing or bouncy seat. for going out i like some sort of a stay dry liner, so that is when i am most likely to use a pocket.

Sunshinesmiles22
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
We've pretty much switched to trainers (adding a waterproof cover when necessary). The pull up thing was a HUGE help in ec'ing.

julia2879
01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
This is a great question! I've been ECing my 1 year old with prefolds and I agree with OP, it is so annoying to have to un-snappi!!! I've heard a lot of people use fitteds for ECing, but that is just not going to happen for us, they are too expensive. We are coverless at home, and I watch her like a hawk so there are no snappi injuries. The prefold belt sounds like a great idea!

kthiday
01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
with DS I used FB, until I discovered BG, which I then used until he PL. With DD, I have found that BB fit her best, but at night we still use BG. I can pull em off fast, or use them as trainers when PL (no inserts!)

pixiepunk
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
with DS, when we were home i just used a snappi'd prefold - no cover (only exception was if i knew he wanted to take a nap on my back in a MT, i would use a cover just in case, though it was rarely an issue).

at a little over 1 yo, i switched to side-snapping waterproof trainers. SEZ. they made things a lot easier! this time around i'm going the PF/snappi route again for the early days. might try making a belt too, they look handy, though i don't know how they'd hold up to a kid on the go... once i deem it time for trainers, i might try the EC store ones, they're a lot less expensive than the SEZ's, and seem to have all the same features i liked.

beccalriley
01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I love poquito pants..if you can find them! They are the perfect EC diaper ...also if you can sew or see any from a wham the potty dance pants were wonderful. Precious coverings makes some great trainers and OV undies. Also the EC store makes snap pants in waterproof and nonwaterproof. We are also coverless at home!

EcoTykesMama
01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
What about EC'ing with underwear in a wool soaker to catch any oopsies?

elliehill2
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I use just fitteds and no cover - the easiest to get on and off quickly are my thirsties fab fitteds because they are aplix - also I have some snap fitteds. There's no way we could EC using prefolds because I'm so clumsy and DS is so squirmy and impatient we would just end up in a serious wrestling/screaming incident. We also are babylegs lovers to minimize clothing/snaps dillemas:thumbsup:

gracefaith
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, we've solved our problem for the time being. I'm trifolding in a Thirsties cover. I would *never* just trifold normally, but we're catching pretty much every poop right now, so it's safe and fast to get off.

youmb00
01-31-2008, 03:09 PM
I've heard prefold without cover is great.

we use AIO (just coz we found them cheap) and it is a hassle to un-velcro everytime.

other times, we use prefold belt + prefold
or just split crotch pants.
or split crotch pants + prefold

robina
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I use just fitteds and no cover...There's no way we could EC using prefolds because I'm so clumsy and DS is so squirmy and impatient we would just end up in a serious wrestling/screaming incident. We also are babylegs lovers to minimize clothing/snaps dillemas:thumbsup:

ditto.

Blurberrybuzz
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
With DD #1 - now 6 1/2 - I use sposies (gasp). At about 9 months old I started making her panties and by 12 months she was in them regularly. I also made some yucky cloth diapers with velcro closures. I liked the panties the best.
With DS #1 (baby #2) I used fitteds. I sew, so it was not problem. He was an EC champ and by the time he was 1 I bought a whole bunch of Gerber 18 mo sized training underwear and put him in those. They were great. Caught the oops I'm too slow pees and any poo I failed to catch. DS #2 (baby #3) has been the most difficult for me. He's not liked ec at all. I use pocket diapers on him and babylegs so I can whip them off at any time. I made most of the pockets. They're similar to swaddlebees. Most of them have velcro closures. I will also put him in those 18 mo sized training pants with a fitted underneath. We're not so good at EC yet so I miss alot of pees. I can hardly wait til summer. DS will be 1 and we can go naked and pee outside.
Victoria

tsfairy
02-02-2008, 11:47 AM
At home we mostly use trainers (Gerber/Wee Essentials) with wool pants for warmth and a bit of waterproofing. I just got a bunch of ME Sandys for going out (and for the days we run out of trainers) because I can use them as side-snap trainers. The pull up/down factor is big for me. We use wool soakers or pants for waterproofing on outings.

With DS1 we used a prefold trifolded in a bummis cover or a pocket dipe for going out. Pretty easy and quick to get off and on. I've been toying with the idea of making a wool wrap to use with a trifolded pf, so I can still use my pfs without the snappi, but we're not super reliable with poos yet so I've been putting it off in fear of the messes I'll have to deal with.

*SweetPea83*
02-02-2008, 03:15 PM
At home we use....
prefold, trifolded with belt
Bright Bots
or just nothing at all!! Bella's favorite!!
I really need to purchase some panties for at home!

Out we use...
Waterproof snap pants trainers for the EC Store
Fleece over trainers most of the time... just for the added boost... just in case! LOL

hollissmama
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
We use fitteds without covers at home and babylegs and put wool over them when out. I have a few covers if he wears something other than longies. The best part is you can use any fitteds since they are all absorbant enough for one pee, you don't need the heavy duty expensive ones. :)

monkeequeen
02-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I've found the perfect solution for us- trifold infant pf in an EC store simplycover. Super super easy and fast- and cheap! I also put the pfs in gdiapers, which also works great. Plus my obsession to collect every shade of dyed pf till I have a rainbow is a pretty inexpensive hobby... :thumbsup:

SandraMort
02-04-2008, 07:43 AM
With my son as a small baby, we used prefolds and covers, or naked time on prefolds or towels. Around four months, I think, we started moving to training pants.

With my daughter, we've been using fitteds that I got used here. Yes, they're more expensive than prefolds, but the amount of time and fussing I've saved makes it well worth it. I picked up a lot of 15 dipes for 40ppd, plus some others, but primarily use those 15. My dh says that at the rate we go through them, they paid for themselves the first week :)

I imagine that as she gets older, we'll switch to tp, but I don't honestly see much difference between a side snapping tp and a fitted dipe, other than (unnecessary) extra absorbancy. I prefer the trimmer fit of tp, but they're hard to find inexpensively and I may not end up with timeto sew.

Useful tip... some dollar stores sell cotton underwear that are sold for "diaper covers" to go under skirts over disposable diapers. The sizes are all wrong, but they're really nice little panties. We took some of those, cut up towelling o r pieces of prefold and sewed them into the crotch for homemade (semi ugly) training pants on the cheap :)

SandraMort
02-04-2008, 07:45 AM
What colors do you need?

I've found the perfect solution for us- trifold infant pf in an EC store simplycover. Super super easy and fast- and cheap! I also put the pfs in gdiapers, which also works great. Plus my obsession to collect every shade of dyed pf till I have a rainbow is a pretty inexpensive hobby... :thumbsup:

monkeequeen
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh, dark purple, mint green, lemon yellow, black (ok, that's not in the rainbow, but...) :)