PDA

View Full Version : (when) do you use a stroller?

mommaindia
02-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a two month old, and haven't felt a need for a stroller yet...do you use one? I have two homemade moby style wraps, and an ergo for when she gets bigger.

lil'mommakaye
02-05-2008, 01:19 PM
i used my stroller in the summer when it was too hot to carry my DS. i walk A LOT and DS would het heat rash if i carried him too long when its hot. i liked roller blading w/ the jogger too. i carry my DS more when we are indoors shopping,or in crowded areas where strollers just dont fit, i feel more secure as well w/ him on me. :goodvibes:

saongiri
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
never- Jack is 8m old and I tried to put him in the jogger once when he was 3 months old--it made me nervous and we've never tried again-with dd we used it when she was a lot bigger-like 2 yo

DcLady
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I use the stroller when it is too hot to carry and also when I have at leat 2 kids with me.

jtsanti
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I use it when I am going to be far from the car or house for a long time. Mainly for carrying the diaper bag, bottled water, my wallet & whatever my older sons bring along. If dd decides to ride in it for a few minutes..Great!

FinnegansMom
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I use it more now, like if I'm going shopping around downtown's little shops. He's 16 months so it allows him to take a snooze, he won't nap being carried anymore. I always put him in the sling or carrier when he was younger, it was easier. But now, he is heavy and starts to fight it after a while. I'm pregnant now so it's just really hard for me to carry him for a long time.

jillianh
02-05-2008, 01:58 PM
when we go for the mail sometimes esp if it's raining and most of the time in the mall but now i'm more comfy using the moby so not so much anymore

msmamabear
02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
rarely. Its easier for me to throw her on my back and chase after Zack then try and push a stroller and hold on to him.

Bella Catalina
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I use my stroller a lot more now that DS is older. He's 21mths and I mainly use the Beco when I wear him. He enjoys being in the stroller and we walk a lot, but I like to take the stroller to carry the groceries if we need to go pick up a few things. It's the hardest to wear him in the grocery store where he likes to grab things on the shelves... I prefer to use my stroller when it's hot, too.

evamyster88
02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I use the stroller when we go to the mall to hold our bags and things. Madison just does not like to sit in it.

Guardandolaluna
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
lol, I was going to say the same thing! I use my stroller to carry my bags when I am shopping with the kids:)

skueppers
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I use a stroller when I go to the zoo with both kids, and when I take both kids to the playground. I expect that I may use the stroller when I take my younger child to the playground by himself next summer, also -- it depends on what winds up working best and what he prefers.

I didn't have a stroller until my older child was 18 months old, at which point someone gave me a used jogging stroller. My daughter really wanted to ride in the stroller to go to the playground, so that's what we did.

I got a used double jogging stroller toward the end of last summer, when I was having issues taking both kids to the playground.

We only ever use strollers on walks near our house or at the zoo, everywhere else we babywear exclusively.

Rannensmom
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I take 3 busses (one way) to school every day. I can't imagine trying to shuffle a stroller with me! I think I've used a stroller a total of 3 times (at grandparent outings) since I got my first 'real' carrier when she was 9 months (she's 20 months now)

TeachinAuntie
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
When I am out by myself and need to take the diaper bag (which weighs a ton). I sometimes wear Caro & use the stroller to hold our stuff though.

Can I just add that I went to NYC this weekend with a 2 yo & a 4 yo (though they are the same size & the 2 yo actually weighs a little more, because the 4 yo has a hormone growth deficiency) and OMG I love love love my sling! I carried one of the 2 babies the entire trip. They loved it & begged to be carried. The 2 yo would take a nap in it (on my front, legs around my sides). It was SO convenient, that way we only had to worry about the other little one and the 6 yo in our hands.

HeatherElyse
02-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I rarely use a stroller. I just got one mainly to take walks since Im trying to get back in shape. I really prefer to carry her since she doesn't like the stroller.

I Smile Because Of Them
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I only use the stroller when I know I'm going to shop for clothes.

MamaZelly
02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
At xmas-time when I have to go to the mall. I need SOMETHING to put all of my bags in!

Deep summer when it is stinkin' hot, I'm sweating already, and with a hot baby, we'd both be in misery.

ummmmmmm.....I think that's it.

mama2cody
02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
We have one cuz someone gave it to us. We used it this summer at the fairs but usually ended up carrying him anyway. We haven't used it in about 4 months. He prefers to be carried. And I can't take walks around here cuz our neighbors have vicious dogs...whole other story. But we'll use the stroller again this summer. At the fairs. :laugh:

haydn'smommy
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
We used to use the stroller to take walks in our neighborhood in the summer and when we went to the park. DH uses it when he takes ds out shopping on Saturdays. I never use it. DS prefers to be held by momma.

bettybites
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I use the stroller for my 3 year-old when I have to get somewhere quickly. [He tend to dawdle.] I never use it for the baby. I'd rather wear her in my wrap cuz she stays cozy that way. :D

Cheaven
02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I use it most of the time now. He is 18 months and 31 lbs. I have not used a sling since November and that was on a child who was not mine. DS started walking at 8 months so since then he prefered not to be worn.

crystal.conwill
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
DD is 5 months old... we don't own a stroller, nor will we ever. DH is TOTALLY against them, and I just love my carriers too much.

:goodvibes:

blsimpson
02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
rarely. Its easier for me to throw her on my back and chase after Zack then try and push a stroller and hold on to him.

Got here first, like she always does, but wanted to add when we do go on longer day outings (Like the zoo, or what-not) we prefer to take the wagon. Its normally large enough to hold both children, and whatever stuff we have brought along, or end up taking back. :mrgreen:

Elphaba71
02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
We started using the stroller for walks last summer (ds was 16-18 months) because he was getting fussy when carried because he couldn't see and watch the dogs on our walking trail for as long. I felt like he was too big for a forward facing front carry and nothing else gave him the mobility he wanted. We still use carriers for other outings (shopping, airports, the zoo, the children's museum, around the house), but the stroller only on the walking trail. It's also not safe to let him walk by himself on the walking trail, because there are so many bikers zipping along that may not be able to correct fast enough for an unpredictable toddler.

Monzie
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Don't have a stroller yet, but we're gonna get one in the next month or two. The weather is total crap at the moment, so there's no chance I'll be outside taking a nice walk any time soon. But once everything finally melts, I'll be itching to scoot around the neighborhood. My "little" guy is already almost 18 pounds and growing like mad. So, while I'm happy to wear him around the house for a few hours a day, he gets pretty squirmy and we both get sweaty and eventually my back and hips start to ache like crazy. I think we'd both benefit from some quality strollin' time, though. So a simple stroller will definitely have its place in our active family's arsenal once Spring finally makes an appearance.

aept
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Generally only if shopping for clothes for myself that I need to try on, and then I also bring it to the zoo and mall. DS only sits in it a short time at either of those places, though - he ends up in a carrier or walking, and the stroller just holds all of our other stuff.

We have a jog stroller too that my DH will take him in when he runs when the weather is nicer and I'm not around to watch DS. DS won't ride in it for me to take him for a walk though :headscratch:

geckoed
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Nola is 11 months and hasn't been in one yet. She sat in a grocery cart once and was sooo wiggly! I took her back out and tied her back on! Her older brother was in it for the first time when we spent the whole day walking around Chicago (he was around a year and over 30lbs and had frequent small seizures which are scary when he's tied on my back, and result in my face getting bashed when he's tied on the front) and another time he was in the stroller on a vacation where we were going to be wandering the city for at least 7 hours, he was 20 months I think and still seizing, plus I was pregnant. He's been in it a few times since then if I'm wearing the baby and we're going for a walk over a mile long I bring it b/c he wears out (he just turned 3 and has heart damage from rheumatic fever too) But mostly I don't use strollers. They're more trouble than they're worth (except the bike trailer ones which are awesome for bigger kids at festivals, etc)

sourpatch_babe
02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
:thumbsup: lol, I was going to say the same thing! I use my stroller to carry my bags when I am shopping with the kids:)

dakarimom5
02-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I've never used a stroller! Lili's always on my back and she weighs 27+ lbs.

luvsviola
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I use one when I need to carry the diaper bag--at the Children's Museum, Disney, or an extended day at the mall without DH. Or, when I need to keep DD out of the sun.

lisad1
02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I use mine to carry my bags at the mall and to put dd in when we sit down to eat

CozyBabyBoutique
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
When I want to carry my shopping packages at the mall. :giggle:

Seriously though...I didn't really use the stroller much unless it was to carry the gear I was bringing someplace. She wouldn't last in the stroller too long. When she was little (like 2-3 months) I would take it on walks to the grocery store. She sometimes was in it for 1/2 the trip but I always brought my moby too because she never lasted the whole trip in the stroller.

At least not until my daughter was about 15 months - then she started thinking it was fun to go for a ride, but she also had just started walking then too so she wanted to practice that. Even when we did have the stroller and she initiated taking it, she didn't last very long.