PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figur this out...

shairna
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
So ds and I had been doing so well the last few weeks I was really excited. We had several days with only 1 or 2 misses and he seemed to be very willing to use the potty. Lately though everything has changed. He has been resisting more and more. I have to coax him and distract him and sometimes he just flat out refuses. He is teething and I wonder if that has something to do with it. We are also trying to reintroduce dairy into his diet (he had been off it since 3 months). I thought that had been going well, but now I'm wondering if that has something to do with it too. I think he is having stomach pain. He is having VERY loose stools and sometimes he cries while he sits there and just wants me to hug him and rub his back.

Do you think I should back off getting him to use the potty while we figure this out? I really hate to do that, but I don't want to make him resent the potty. On the other hand the poop gives him an almost immediate rash so I would much rather he do it on the toilette (not to mention the mess-you don't even want to hear about our trip to Wendy's tonight :yuck: )

Any ideas? I really want to fighure this out so he can feel better and we can get back on track.

RhondaJane
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
:headscratch: hmm...that's a tough one and I really don't know what to tell you since I'm new to this, too. I think if it was me I would go ahead and keep offering the potty, and if he starts crying or getting upset then go ahead and get him off, (or don't continue putting him on). Let him know he can choose to use it or not. If he really doesn't want to go on the potty, you might go ahead and cue him to go in his diaper and then change him. That way the cue is still familiar to him when he gets feeling better and ready to use the potty again. Hope he gets feeling better soon! :hugs:

Youngatheart
02-22-2008, 05:45 AM
If you LO's loose stools began after reintroducing dairy, I would definately remove it and see if everything goes back to normal...if it is the dairy causing the problem it may take a few days to tell. Milk is a high allergen and can cause digestive problems.

Hope your DS feels better soon and is happily back on the potty...

Rhonda

shairna
02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the replies. I am definately taking him back off dairy for awhile. It didn't start as soon as we started back on dairy, but it has been getting gradually worse. Maybe it is a build up or a threshold thing. I think I will go MUCH slower next time we try dairy (assuming this gets better while he's off). His allergist keeps pushing me to get him back on dairy since his testing came back negative, but he said he could still have lactose intolerance. Maybe that is what we are dealing with.

duckieheart
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Id bank on the lactose. As far as your current potty strike. DD has had a few potty strikes. We continued to offer in the morning first thing, but that was it. When she was over her strike, she took right back to it no problem.

shairna
02-22-2008, 08:08 PM
So he had no dairy at all today and I tried to ease off the potty and let him just go in his diaper. The only problem with that is he throws a MASSIVE fit when I go to change him. I did get him to sit on the potty after dinner b/c I knew he needed to poop. He had his first somewhat formed BM in days and he didn't dry during it.:thumbsup: I'm thinking maybe it was the dairy. Hopefully tomorrow will show continued improvement and with a few pain free trips to the potty he will stop resisting. Thanks again everyone.

Green Decals
02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey mama, we have had dairy issues too. Specifically, he has issues with cow's milk formula (we have not and will not go to whole cow's milk) so we went back to goat's milk instead. He had the loose stools and runs with the cow's formula but not goat's milk. Goat's milk is the closest thing to human milk and it has vit D which is awesome for these winter months, esp up here in the frozen north. Anyway, he hasn't worn a dipe in who know how long (a week and 1/2 or 2 weeks, something like that) and was doing AWESOME but today he peed his undies I kid you not 6 times. Sometimes he refuses the potty if he's over tired or cranky, but holding him (naked) and rocking, singing, soothing helps and he is usually willing again. Another thing, though, if your DS is signing for food, our DS has NOT STOPPED eating for literally 3 weeks. We kept thinking he was fussy because he had to toilet, and we'd try toileting but he would scream and thrash, and come to find out he was just hungry!

shairna
02-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey mama, we have had dairy issues too. Specifically, he has issues with cow's milk formula (we have not and will not go to whole cow's milk) so we went back to goat's milk instead. He had the loose stools and runs with the cow's formula but not goat's milk. Goat's milk is the closest thing to human milk and it has vit D which is awesome for these winter months, esp up here in the frozen north. Anyway, he hasn't worn a dipe in who know how long (a week and 1/2 or 2 weeks, something like that) and was doing AWESOME but today he peed his undies I kid you not 6 times. Sometimes he refuses the potty if he's over tired or cranky, but holding him (naked) and rocking, singing, soothing helps and he is usually willing again. Another thing, though, if your DS is signing for food, our DS has NOT STOPPED eating for literally 3 weeks. We kept thinking he was fussy because he had to toilet, and we'd try toileting but he would scream and thrash, and come to find out he was just hungry!

Right now I have him on soy formula b/c soy milk just didn't seem to have enough fat. DS won't use the potty when he's over tired either. I have that problem when I've waited to long to put him down for a nap. Sometimes I'll lay him down and then after he's been in his crib for a few minutes he'll stand up and sign potty. I think he needs to calm down and relax a little sometimes. Lately he is barely eating (I think again he was having stomach pains) so I don't think that is his particular problem. Usually the big fit is getting him on the potty. Once I get the diaper off and sit him down he will usually settle and I can distract him with a magazine or something. He has a fascination with looking at babies in magazines. I think it's so cute that at 16 mo he doesn't think HE is a baby--just all those pictures!:giggle2: