View Full Version : Need advice

02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok. At first I had a few minor latch issues and supply issues which have all been solved. Now, I have a new problem. DD won't take a bottle and I need to start getting her used to a bottle because I just recieved a call yesterday that I am a donor match for bone marrow (I had signed up years ago). I can't say no, plus I just found out today that the reciepiant is an infant, not even a year old with a metabolic disorder. So, I feel I HAVE to do this.
What I need advice on is how to get my 3 month old switching from breast to bottle and back again without making our lives too complicated. She will NOT take formula so I'm investing in a nice pump, and will take EBM from a bottle only if DH does it and she starving, and then he still has troubles getting her to take it, not choke etc. Anyone else had these troubles and how did you get through it. ALso, how often do you have to pump to bring your supply up enough that you can store some extra for when I have to be away or on meds that I cannot nurse with? There's going to be a total of nearly a month where I will not be able to nurse her. Will she nurse again after not nursing for a month? This is so heart breaking for me and every way, I just got her nursing perfectly, and also I can't let another baby die because I'm too attached to nursing. I guess I need both advice and support from more than DH who supports me in everything I do, smart or not.

02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
wow, i just wanted to say you rock. that is awesome of you to do for another child. there are nipples that mimick the breast, i cant remember what they are though, been to long. pump after every nursing session to bring supply up.

02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
WHy can you not nurse her for a month? What meds will you be taking and have you LOOKED up to see if they are safe, DRs have no idea what meds are safe and what meds are not.

I guess I am evil because at 3months old I think that is way to young to be trying to switch back and forth and not nursing for a month at a time.

Maybe someone here will be able to give you more info.

02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I would first ask for a list of medications that would need to take and find out online or at LLL or somewhere, not from your doctor, if they are safe for bf and how long they stay in your bm. Will you be gone a night here or there, or for one continous month? To bring up your supply pump after a feed, even if you don't get anything, you will after a couple days.


02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I would also say double check the meds and even talk to them and let them know you are nursing see if they can make both happen at the same time. Plus you may want to try the bottle that matches your LO's pacifier, if they take one.

02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I have to go to washington DC it's the only place they can do it. The first trip is for 2-3 days, the second trip 5-6 days. The second trip would be after 2 weeks of meds to make my body build stems cells faster and more then normal, then the 5-6 day process is to have my blood taken from one arm, run through a machine to seperate the stem cells and back into my body in the other arm. the first trip is for the marrow extraction which only requires an epidural or spinal. They told me the meds that I would be on are not good for the baby. They are going to e-mail me tomorrow with more specifics and an address where I can e-mail my donor advocate with any questions I may have. They are going to work with me to make things as smooth as possible even letting me take the baby if my sister can help out while I have these procedures done. these are good points to bring up though. Thnks mama for the input, keep it coming!

02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
OH she hates a paci, won't even take it in the car or to fall asleep.

02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I can't have the procedures done at the same time because it takes too much out of your body. The first procedure takes a couple of weeks feeling like you have the flu just from taking a small amount of marrow, the the stem cell clean out may take me a month to fully recover. I will feel very run down and tired for about a month after.

02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I had to have some testing done for kidney stones when my dd was 6 weeks old. I got all kinds of different answers as to how long I was supposed to pump and dump. I didn't want to at all so I got the list of drugs and called the LC at the hospital. She looked it up for me and faxed me the print out that I was safe to take it with no interruptions. Make sure to call a good LC to thoroughly research the meds - most docs don't have a clue. They are just looked to cover their rear.

02-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Yes, call an IBCLC if you can. They are the most informed, have an RN degree most of them, as well as so much training as a lactation consultant. Also kellymom is a great resource! http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html
This site may also be of some help, along with his book-

Good luck, and what a gift to give!

02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks so much. I talked to a LC when I had the supply trouble, I think i'll give her a call. She's a PA at the Naval Hospital. My donor advocate said they'd work with me to make it as easy as possible, I might even be able to bring her with me if my sis will be in the states (she's an international model and will be in Tokyo for a month, hoping it's not then).
I keep thinking it'll be hard for me, but what if it were reversed. I couldn't imagine dealing with a deadly disease and not being able to help my child and having to depend on a complete stranger to save him.
I called my sister while I was waiting for a phone call to confirm that I'd do it (wanted to talk to DH first) and she made a good point, my baby won't die if I give her a bottle, but this little boy will if I don't try. I know he still could anyway but she had a good point. Still, would like to make it as easy for DD and me as possible.
Thank you all for your input!