PDA

View Full Version : how long to sit on potty

nalazimbala
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
How long would you let your lo sit on the potty before taking them off? DD sometimes is perfectly content to just sit there looking at her "potty book" but i don't want her to start thinking this is a play place.

she's had some really good days lately (only 1-2 misses) but sometimes she just sits there till i take her off then it seems like 5 min later, she pees.

loki_quinn
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I think my son at around eight months was quite content to sit on the potty all day as well!

I always tried to give him a little time, especially if I was expecting a poop, but I never let him stay on it for more than five minutes.

gracefaith
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I do an "on and off" thing. I've noticed that sometimes laying him on his back helps things along, so if it has been awhile and nothing is happening, I'll lay him on his back for a few seconds and then ask him if he still needs to go. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes he'll fuss when I try to rediaper him and sometimes, he really doesn't need to go any more. After many "five minutes later" misses, I decided that it was okay for him to sit on the potty for as long as he was happy there and my arms held out. The way I figure it, he's not yet four months old - this might be the most exciting part of his day for him. If he's enjoying it, I'm not taking it away.