PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Aid mixer users - Opinions Wanted

mom2fussy
09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Someone gave me the fruit & vegetable strainer / puree attachment, but you have to also have the Food Grinder Attachment to use the strainer/puree attachment. I don't have the F.G.

The person who gave me the strainer attachment had owned it for several years, but NEVER used it, so it's new-in-box, but it's an old box. These retail for $50, and there is a $50 price tag still on it. The Food Grinder Attachment also costs $50 to buy.

I would like to use the whole setup to make baby food, but don't know if I'll get $50-worth of use out of it.

Do you think I should I sell the strainer/puree attachment, or should I buy the food grinder attachment? DH is OK with whatever option I choose.

(Anyone here interested in buying the attachment from me? Let me know if you are!)

togg_mama
09-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't think they cost that much anymore. Have you checked your local retailer? I think mine were around $25 each when I bought after our wedding a couple of years ago, but I don't know for sure.

mamato5angels
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM
If I am any help I love my grinder. We use it all the time. It works really great for meat as well as onions. We also have the slicer shreader. This comes in really handy during canning season. It slices beets great for canning. It also slices potatoes and onions for scalloped potatoes. sometimes you can find the combo sets for cheaper that the individual pieces. Check ebay.

mom2fussy
09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Actually, they still do. At least, the specific attachments that I'm referring to do. KitchenAid basically sets a retail price that most retailers are unable to (legally) drop below when selling their items.

I've found the F.G. for approx $40 at several stores, but that didn't include shipping. If you see it for significantly less than that somewhere, let me know!

mom2fussy
09-05-2006, 04:28 PM
If I am any help I love my grinder. We use it all the time. It works really great for meat as well as onions. We also have the slicer shreader. This comes in really handy during canning season. It slices beets great for canning. It also slices potatoes and onions for scalloped potatoes. sometimes you can find the combo sets for cheaper that the individual pieces. Check ebay.

I already have the slicer/shredder. :)
What do you use the grinder for? I know I wouldn't be grinding very much meat...

mamato5angels
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I think that is it.

rpg_mommy
09-07-2006, 07:56 AM
We got the food grinder as a wedding present and I've definately gotten $50 out of it. We use it for:

1) grinding meat for babyfood - I think jarred babyfood meats smell like dogfood so I make all my own babyfood

2) grinding chicken for chicken salad

3) grinding tuna for tuna salad

Love mine! :thumbsup:

I wonder if you could buy one on ebay for cheeper?

keegans_mommy
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
I love my kitchenaid mixer but don't have any attachements but would LOVE some! I guess "santa" should know about that huh? LOL

But the grinder sounds awesome! I would have loved that for making our baby food as we had a difficult hand grinder :banghead:

mom2fussy
09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
OK, I have a bad habit of forgetting about my own posts or where I've posted :) so I just got back to reading this!

I like the idea of grinding chicken for chicken salad. I'd never thought of that! All I could think of was grinding meat for baby food. And I guess if I have another child (if/when that happens), I'd be using it then too...

I might have to start scanning Ebay to see if I catch one at a good price. When I looked in the past, the selling prices were close enough to the cost of a new one from a regular store that I figured I'd rather just buy a new one!