PDA

View Full Version : Heating up refrigerated formula?

phoofy
04-06-2008, 01:19 AM
So I'm new to formulas and I a have a silly question ...

If you make some in advance and store it in the fridge (instructions on our can of Neocate says to do so), do you warm it up before giving it to your LO? If so, can you still dunk the bottle in a container of warm water (like we did with expressed breast milk)? A warm water bath isn't bad for the formula, is it? (I didn't see anything on the can about this.)

Or do you give the formula cold? Leave it at room temperature?

With expressed BM, we would leave some of DS' bottle out to help take the chill out. Is it OK to leave a bottle of formula out for 5-6 hours (assuming it's pretty cool inside the house/room)??

Thanks,
maria

ashleykaymay
04-06-2008, 01:24 AM
we gave it cold but if he wanted it warm we ran it under hot water for a little bit and gave it a good shake. a warm water bath is good too.

DO NOT leave formula out for more then two hours. it can't sit like BM can. also, once they drink it, it needs to be gone in an hour. bacteria can get in there from their mouths and it can't be left out longer.

HTH! :thumbsup:

phoofy
04-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Thank you!

Time to buy a mini fridge upstairs ... might get a little dangerous walking down the stairs in the middle of the night to get a bottle from the fridge. And the cat's not helping by walking by our feet.

:giggle:

ashleykaymay
04-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Thank you!

Time to buy a mini fridge upstairs ... might get a little dangerous walking down the stairs in the middle of the night to get a bottle from the fridge. And the cat's not helping by walking by our feet.

:giggle:

my cat is the same way! :giggle: it gets even worse because she drags baby toys up the stairs and just leaves them sitting there!

uoducks
04-07-2008, 12:49 AM
either run it under warm water or microwave it, both worked for me.

I finally realized the warming part was mostly for me, not my daught. and so I stopped warming it and she drinks it cold. I probably stopped warming it 3 months ago or so.

benjaminsmom
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
what you suggested is fine, either running under hot water or in a bowl. You can give it cold too. They don't reccomend leaving it out for too long, so I would refridgerate. The mini fridge would be really nice if your LO will drink it cold. i wish I had done it. :goodvibes:

erinsaal
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
DD#1 took all of her formula at room temp. DD#2 had to have hers warmed. I used a bottle warmer for awhile and then the micro. DD#3 likes hers HOT. I use the micro.

phoofy
04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
So I have a temp solution ... at night I just keep one of those formula dispensers upstairs with a bottle of room temp water and some clean bottles. When it's time for DS to eat, I just make a fresh bottle of formula. Easy, and quicker than waiting for water to warm up in the electric kettle or the tap (our tap takes forever to get warm).

Those dispensers are handy! :thumbsup:

ashleykaymay
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
you have to be really careful with microwaving formula. it gets hot spots in it that can burn the baby's mouth. my MIL tried to microwave a bottle for us and i squirted some on my wrist and OW!

they do sell pretty cheap bottle warmers at wal mart if you do end up needing another solution.

katesmash
04-07-2008, 05:35 PM
We use a bottle warmer. DD doesn't like cold bottles, and "room temperature" is quite cold if you mean the temperature when the bottle sits in the room. We make our bottles as needed at home, with bottled water sitting at room temperature, and it's quite cold. I would check out a bottle warmer, they aren't too expensive and are soooo easy to use.

And microwaving... it is not necessarily bad... if you do it smartly. We use our bottle warmer every time we can, but in a restaurant or something we get them to microwave it, but only for 12 seconds (7 oz bottle) and then shake it up to get rid of hot spots. Some poeple say they mic for like 30 seconds... and of course it would be hot then!

queenjane555
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
And microwaving... it is not necessarily bad... if you do it smartly. We use our bottle warmer every time we can, but in a restaurant or something we get them to microwave it, but only for 12 seconds (7 oz bottle) and then shake it up to get rid of hot spots. Some poeple say they mic for like 30 seconds... and of course it would be hot then!

I microwave for 30 seconds (5 oz formula in an 8 oz Dr Browns bottle), and its never "hot",just warm. I always shake it up, and there doesnt seem to be any hotspots or problems. I tried to heat it up for less time, and its always cold if i do.

Katherine

katesmash
04-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I microwave for 30 seconds (5 oz formula in an 8 oz Dr Browns bottle), and its never "hot",just warm. I always shake it up, and there doesnt seem to be any hotspots or problems. I tried to heat it up for less time, and its always cold if i do.

Ya... I think it makes a difference on the kind of bottle... or the power of the microwave? Oh well... I used a friends microwave for 15 seconds and it was HOT when i tested it.

benjaminsmom
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
When we would go out and about I bought a travel bottle warmer (prince lionheart), but only good for 1 use before it had to be boiled to reset it and it took like 15 min to actually heat the bottle. So we started carrying a small thermos with boiling water, and would just pour some into the cap and place the bottle in it to warm. Works like a charm. We would just ask for 1/2 mug hot water at a restaraunt. HTH! I would also do the dispenser and bottle of room temp water. Ds came around to cooler formula pretty quick, I got tired of fumbling in the kitchen with the bottle warmer.

VelouriaMom
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I know you already have a solution but just wanted to throw this out there- if you premake and refrigerate all your bottles you can keep them in an insulated lunchbox with ice packs beside the bed. They stay cold all night. I also keep a thermos full of super hot water and pour some into the thermos lid to warm the bottle. I use Playtex DropIns and a 4 oz bottle was warm by the time I finished a diaper change. I had to figure all this out b/c DD can't tolerate powdered formula. :banghead:

armywife2002
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
we used a crock pot to warm bottles when i worked in a daycare

cody82414
04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Formula has to be used within an hour after making it,
but if you want to warm it,
warm hot water in a glass cup/mug, and dip the bottle in the water.