PDA

View Full Version : How are you birthing?

amphibology29
04-07-2008, 09:15 AM
We're having a UC.

asianmama
04-07-2008, 09:46 AM
i think i am having an ob at the hospital... i will see tomorrow if i like the new ob or not... also to get correct info on this babe... this pregnancy is really odd for me and some days i dont think i am pregnant and then others i eat like i am eating for 10 people... i dont know.

Julie K
04-07-2008, 12:29 PM
ob attended in the hospital - I'm high risk...

Mamatoabunch
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
UC

clothmamaof4
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
My PLAN is midwife attended homebirth if all goes according to plan meaning I keep my BP in check this time. I do have a back-up plan of Midwife attended hospital birth center. St Lukes in Houston has a midwife group and I'm going to them for established care in case something goes wrong toward the end of pregnancy or if my mom who is my midwife is unavailable (my dad has cancer and is going to Oklahoma every 3 weeks for treatment but should be done before I am due... fingers crossed!!!) I had a home birth with the 1st two babies and forced hospital birth with the last one and hated it so I'm doing all I can to stay out of a hospital this time around.

shannona626
04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
In a hospital w/ an epidural if possible!!! I'm not very crunchy other than the cd'ing and bf'ing :-)

happysahm
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I responded freestanding birth center, but I think I am going to have a homebirth. It's covered by my insurance and I love the idea of not having to pack anything and sleep in my own bed.

AmberS
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
What's UC? I figure I'm not doing it if I don't know! But my last baby was delivered by a midwife at a birthing center, but after 30 plus hours of labor I ended up having to get pitocin and epidural....

I do not plan to repeat a 48 hour labor with this one !!

amphibology29
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
UC stands for unassisted childbirth. Birth without a doctor or midwife attending.

AmberS
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
UC stands for unassisted childbirth. Birth without a doctor or midwife attending.

Thanks mama:thumbsup:

L2S2C
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
In a hospital w/ an epidural if possible!!! I'm not very crunchy other than the cd'ing and bf'ing :-)

same here...

logansmomma07
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
At the hospital with an OB. Not by choice, we're military and they were giving me hassles about seeing a midwife. I'd much rather do it at home, which it may happen that way anyway:giggle:

camdensmommy
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
We are going to have a homebirth with an excellent midwife attending. I am really into unassisted childbirth but feel I need to get a homebirth under my belt first since my daughters birth (free standing birth center then transferred to a hospital) went nothing like I planned and I know I have a lot of residual resentment about that. I am constantly reading and watching UC birth stories too. My midwife is very cool about all of it and says if you have the baby before I get there it is because you didn't need me. She's wonderful and has delivered over 1300 babies. She's friends with Ina May Gaskin, actually.

joy7s
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
to the OP thanks so much for doing this!! I thought I was the only one not having a home birth or UC.. I really wanted to have the baby at home but DH is too scared!! So our compromise is that I already talked to the midwife about leaving 6 hrs after birth.. (hopefully I don't have the baby at a time that ends up with the 6 hrs being in the middle of the night!! I really want to sleep in my own bed!)

Laniemama
04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
We are having a midwife attended homebirth! I'm so excited! :D

babyholic
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Planning my 3rd Unassisted birth, this time as a surrogate! Here's a surrogate UC that went almost exactly like my first unassisted birth:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29855765

proudmommaof4
04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
We are having a midwife assisted hospital birth, also a water birth! I am so excited. I wanted a waterbirth desperatly with our last child but their birthing tub didn't get installed until 2 wks after I delivered. This time I am saving the money and buying a portable tub just in case. I plan on useing theirs as it is bigger and warmer but it is first come first serve so I will have my own as a back up.

Amanda Lou
04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm having a hospital birth attended by my family doctor.

mamatoblessings
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Call me crazy but I enjoy the couple of days at the hospital for bonding time between the baby, my husband and I before we return to the crazy home life! I will deliver with my MW at the hospital w/out an epi and I will stay the day and a half-2 days that they suggest. We have 3 other children at home, so it's nice to be taken care of at the hospital (we've never had a problem with any of our hospital stays, the staff has always been very respectful of our wishes) and just be able to focus on the baby.

stephaniehannah
04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
i am planning on a water birth at teh birth center. question though isnt a UC birth scary?

amphibology29
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
question though isnt a UC birth scary?

What would be scary about it? Birth is a natural thing that, allowed to progress unhindered, is normal and perfectly safe in almost every case. A lot of people don't realize, but interventions done by doctors and hospital "rules" that hinder a mother during birth are often the cause of issues that come up during labor and delivery.

Mamatoabunch
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
question though isnt a UC birth scary?

Short answer, no. Longer answer is as I realized I was in labor I had complete calm and peace. Birth progressed just as it should each of my 5 UCs.

K&Jplus5
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
We are having a midwife attended hospital waterbirth, (hopefully water birth!) using Hynobabies.

ETA: I am in awe and respect all the women who go the UC route!! I have considered that, but since DH has gone through 3 c/s births with his ex, getting him to agree with a Midwife was a feat in itself. But now, he is totally on board, and I cant' wait till we birth this baby!

alexysmommy
04-11-2008, 01:03 AM
homebirth w/ a midwife.

newtocloth07
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Ob hospital birth - natural, no drugs or medical intervention of any kind- if I can help it!!

I love my ob...she is wonderful

maryjane
04-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know yet. I really want to have a UC but I'm having a VBAC with a vertical incision so I'm nervous about that. My ob is very positive about me having a VBAC and wants me to labor at home as long as possible and is comfortable with me having an "oops" birth at home. At the same time I'm just not sure. If it was a transverse incision I wouldn't hesitate but no other ob in this state would even allow me to have a vbac with a vertical incision even though it is a low vertical. My ob is allowing it or supporting it I should say because he says I'm healthy, I have had 5 previous vaginal births and my uterus is very stretchy and the risk of rupture is low. So I know he's behind me 100% in the case I go to the hospital and he delivers. But I also know the hospital staff is going to give me a hard time and I really want to do this in the comfort of my own home. A midwife is out of the question. I haven't the extra money and it's illegal in my state. I have my next prenatal May 5th and I'm going to talk to my ob about all this. We're very close and have an excellent relationship both professionally and as people who respect one another. SO I'm comfortable talking to him about my ambiguity over a UC. I guess I'll have a better idea next month. I'm very healthy and I have easy vaginal deliveries.

CTH3989
04-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I am planning a UC.

meowmixx3
04-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I am uber high risk and have to go by c-section because of 1. how bad they messed me up last time and 2. because I might bleed to death.
I'm kind of freaked out about the whole c-section thing.

AnnaG01
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I have to have c-section I think. My first was after pushing for over an hour (I now wish I would have kept pushing to avoid this crap), then my 2nd was born at 33 weeks after the highest doese of mag, trebuteline and the hospital stay with steriod shots, and sleeping medicine the night before, they asked me if I wanted a VBAC, but I couldn't see straight and literally crossed my eyes as I told them I couldn't. Then after the c-section I was told that they were so glad I didn't attempt the VBAC they tried to talk me in to because my uterus was thin to the extreme...so now my OB is strongly advising a 3rd c-section, I'm bummed but my goal is get my baby here safe.

S Starr
04-12-2008, 10:57 PM
C-section here. First one was breech w/high blood pressure, so the OB said a c-section was safest, and the local hospital won't do VBACs.

zenefra
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I am going to have this baby at a birth center with a MW. I had my first at a hospital.

Trista
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Home birth w/ a midwife :)

ecomother
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
UC :)

Oops I just realized this was in the "Due in August" forum and I'm due in May, duhhhr!!! LOL!

tcwyles
04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm doing an HBAC. Home birth (w/ midwife) after c-section. The Navy hospital here started up a VBAC ban this year - and I'm not signing up for a repeat c-section for NO REASON!! Wish me luck!

zonapellucida
04-15-2008, 07:16 AM
UC

eragsdale
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
OB at hospital:cry: :cry: :cry: ! i so wanted to do the birthing center, but we started late in finding one and we just don't have the money to hand over.:banghead:

dauphins3
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Birth Center with mid-wife. The first was an OB at the hospital and it was a horrible experience that I do not wish to repeat. If I had an oops UC at home, I would not be too upset - DH would LOVE to catch!

kbstanley3
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Midwife at hospital VBAC.

cjbulls
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't know and it is really bothering me. I want a vba2c in a hosp, but our hospital has an secret vbamc ban. The commitee has told all of the Dr.s that if they do one they will lose their privleges at that hosp. so I don't know what I will do. I'm looking for a new Dr. that would be fine with me laboring at home for as long as possible then coming in last minute and just refusing everything so that they don't get into trouble. I guess we will just see.:banghead:

mamatolea
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
MW attended homebirth again-hoping for a WATER birth this time! (Labored in the tub for most of it, then had to push on the bed because labor was stalling..waah)

So here's hoping!

patricianaps
06-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I am delivering at a hosptial with an OB. I have very warm feelings about it. I do have to say I feel guilty, kind of like I am shopping at Wal Mart for doing it, but I have to share why I'm excited.

DD# 1 and #2 were in Cincinnati, far from my mom and sisters. I had a really nasty OB the first time, went to MIL's OB second time and I was really pleased. No prenatal appointments lasted less than 30 minutes, and the two female docs were really cheerful people who were kind to their staff. people were forever laughing in the office.

Moved home to Cleveland, started seeing a midwife when we started trying for #3. I was pleased with the practice, however, due to complications I had a miscarriage. The midwife referred me to the hospital for a D&C. There I had to deal with 7 hours of waiting for my stomach to empty so I could be anesthetized, only to have a different OB come in at shift change and decide to do a D&C with no ANYTHING right there in the ER. Horrible horrible experience to deal with medical people who have not been treating you up to that point, and be totally at their mercy. I know I would have had better results/experience if I had been with an OB I knew and trusted and would have allowed my input, like Hello? I don't want to be alert and awake while you are scraping my child out of me?!

SO, for my 6 week checkup I went to an OB who works with BF's mom, who has been a L&D nurse for 25 years. And I LOVE the doc, love the practice, and as an added bonus I get to have my best friends' mom guide me through the process! I am really excited about having her as my coach. DH is darling, but he truly worries too much.

We will be doing most of the labor at home, and going to the hospital at the last minute.

ComfyJoey
06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I will be having a hospital birth with Epidural (i am chicken when it comes to pain) :cry:

stephzac04
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Having a planned C/S...had one with my son so I just wanted to have a c/s again.

1floridamom
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
God-willing, this will be our sixth homebirth and third waterbirth. Every pregnancy and birth really is different, so I don't like digging my heels in on anything. I like to think I'm a reasonable person and would do what I need to do. Though #4 came at a little over 34 weeks, and my midwife and I (with dh, of course) decided to go with the homebirth and transport if the baby needed anything (no need to get us both signed in). As it turned out, she was 6 beautiful, pink pounds, and there was no worry. I had the same midwife for the first three and a different midwife for these last three which is really nice, too.

Everyone is looking forward to it!

Eco_geek
06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm having my second UC. not bad since this is my 2nd baby!

hippydippymama
06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Cool, lots of fellow HBing mamas in this DDC! :thumbsup: This will also be an HBAC for me. So excited!

NaturalMomof2
06-25-2008, 07:14 PM
OB & MW assisted hospital birth (my hospital has both on staff at all times). I really wanted to give birth in a birthing center, but I'm high risk and full of complications. Nevertheless, I will be laboring and delivering without the aid of any drugs...again.

lucifugous
06-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm expecting to deliver my first in a hospital birthing center with a midwife. Homebirth is not an accessible option in my state (not covered by individual insurance or by malpractice insurance, and CPMs can not legally practice!). I could see myself being ready for UC in a few years but for now I am glad to be under the care of midwives. Still, they are totally aligned with OB practices. In the future I would prefer more traditional well-woman and midwifery care.

sondancer
06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I dreamed of having a waterbirth at home but since we're currently living in South Korea, our options are limited. However, I'm having a water-birth at a hospital with an amazing OB and a staff of fully trained certified nurse mid-wives. It's not what I hoped for but better than I expected over here!

Lisa_delo
07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm having a midwife in a hospital. Our insurance wouldn't cover a birthing center and we couldn't afford to pay the whole bill:(

Deema13
07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Having an HBAC waterbirth with a great midwife technically not at home I'll be at my Mama's but the concept is the same =)! I'm really excited!!!!!!!! My c-section was in 2000 for stupid reasons nothing lifethreatening so I figure I'm pretty safe and if anything should go wrong there is a hospital directly across the st.

Monika
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Hospital + epidural = this is my plan. I am 33wks today and so far everything is going well, so I believe I should be able to stick with it. I want to avoid CS at all cost...