PDA

View Full Version : Where is the cheapest place to get prescriptions filled?

boilerbebeRN
05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
I have some prescription coverage. However, I work at a catholic hospital, so the prescription plan does not cover birth control at all. And as most of you know, birth control can be quite expensive. I had been getting my Rx's filled at Walgreens, but have found that they are pretty pricey, so I'm looking to switch to somewhere that is cheaper. My OB-GYN said that Costco or Sam's Club are the cheapest when it comes to prescriptions and that you don't have to be a member. Does anyone know if this is true? I used to have a Sam's membership, but did not renew it in October when it expired. Is it worth it for me to renew it?

Where do you get your prescriptions filled?

Deanner03
05-08-2008, 05:07 PM
You can get the generic of Ortho-tricyclen and one other one for $9/month at Wal-Mart.

Also, you may want to consider transferring your records to your local planned parenthood. They often sell pills for cheap. The one near me has a upper limit of $21/month for pills or $29/month for the patch or Nuva Ring! HTH!

ETA: Walmart also has a variety of meds for $4/month. You can access the list on their website, but BC is not included in that list.

SMKelley
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Wal-Mart has a lot of 4.00 prescriptions.

If I were to go to my local clinic and tell them I don't have insurance (which would be true for you) I would get 3-6 months of free birth control, no questions asked.

amybabya
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Wal Mart by a long shot

amybabya
05-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Ask your OB for samples. The drug company reps bring in TONs. Mine, when I used BC, would give me 6 mos of samples every year.

jessks
05-08-2008, 05:21 PM
i am not fond of Walmart so I get mine at Target and they are still much cheaper than Walgreens and comparable to Walmart...i think it depends on what meds they are to determine if they are cheaper at Sams...you may want to call and ask...

lamia
05-08-2008, 05:53 PM
i always use walgreens CVS or kroger.I get the Rx coupons off Ebay so end up with $25 or $30 worth of gift cards for free which you can use as a copay for your next Rx although I always end up using it for other things!

sundrip
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Kroger has started $4 generics here.

zacks_mommy
05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
As a pharmacist (and worked for walmart in the past), I can tell you that Walgreens is at the high end and Walmart is at the low end. I always tell my cash paying customers to shop around and buy in bulk. We give price breaks for buying more at a time. (You always have a minimum markup for each script, so if you buy more than one month at a time, you save $$)

boilerbebeRN
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I am using the NuvaRing, so I don't believe there is a generic for it at this time. I did get 4 free samples from my OB, but have run out of them now and need to get my Rx filled. And I think I'll definitely buy 3 months at a time after hearing what Zachs Mommy had to say! (Thanks, mama!) Sounds like I will give WalMart, Sam's and Target calls in the morning to compare prices. Thanks!

weddell
05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I have heard the same things that others have posted: Costco, Walmart, and Sams. DD's prescription is cheaper than our copay so I always just pay cash rather than use insurance and Costco is several dollars cheaper than our CVS.