PDA

View Full Version : wichita, ks momma's

shureeg
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
hey just wondering how many of us are in wichita. I've been here since sept. and just had Madleyn. I have 1 other dd who is 16 mos. hopeing some other cd'ing baby wearing, nursing mom's around here! I feel all alone in my crunchiness!! LOL!!

rcarver
05-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I know of 3 or 4 in the area.

diane24
05-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm in Wichita.

shureeg
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
wonderful! anyone else enjoying the warmer weather?? went out and got lily a kiddy pool today. will feel so good to get a bit un sticky during the day. plus it will give her something to do.

Alioop
06-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Hi, wichita here!

Not alot of cloth in these parts though! everyone is nuts for the suff I make for my kid, they just cant believe that you can MAKE diapers! :giggle2:

shureeg
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
how funny! I get lots of funny looks about my cloth. anyways wondering if anyone wants to do a meetup?

glitterdaisymom
08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
yea... other wichita CD'ing mamas!! I'm in wichita... wish we had a Natural Baby Store here. Does anyone "Non-Vax"? If so, how did you tell your child's dr. or do you have a recommendation for a dr. who is Non-Vax/ Slow-Vax friendly around the wichita area??

shureeg
08-13-2008, 06:46 AM
yes! my dr. has been absolutely excellent. while I'm not a non-vaxing mom we are doing a different vax schedule. my doc was so great he sat down and discussed with me the options we had and answered all my questions without once looking at his watch. he didn't make me feel silly for choosing to do Madelyn's vax's like this. we are only doing one shot a visit. pm me if you want to know who my doc is:)

sdodge
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Another Wichita mommy here! I am new at cloth diapering and others can't believe I am doing it. I love it so far. Would love to meet up sometime...:goodvibes:

glitterdaisymom
08-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Since Wichita does not have a retail store (with a physical storefront), where does everyone get their cloth diapers? I've ordered almost all of mine online. But while visiting KC on a road trip a while back, I found a store called Happybottomus that had an entire wall dedicated to CD'ing. It was sooo fun to just look and feel all the different kinds of diapers, inserts, doublers, covers, wetbags, etc. It was cloth diaper heaven. Does anyone know of any other stores closer than KC that sell cloth diapers? I've looked at all of our Natural Living Stores here in town (Whole Foods, Green Acres, Food for Thought) and haven't seen anything... not even gDiapers. Has anyone seen anything in the local baby boutiques??

tannerokeefe
08-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Hello!! I am from Wichita, and would be interested in a meetup. There is one natural baby store that I am aware of and it is in Newton. It is called The Healthy Baby Boutique I think?? It is my DREAM to open up a natural toy/clothes/accessories/etc store. Any one with either a business degree or good with money want to join me??:lostit:

glitterdaisymom
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Ooooh... opening a natural baby store is my dream too. I'll have to drive up to Newton on a Saturday and check out the baby store up there. Thanks for the info.

tannerokeefe
08-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Ooooh... opening a natural baby store is my dream too. I'll have to drive up to Newton on a Saturday and check out the baby store up there. Thanks for the info.

Well, we should sit down and talk one of these days!:giggle2:

rcarver
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Since Wichita does not have a retail store (with a physical storefront), where does everyone get their cloth diapers? I've ordered almost all of mine online. But while visiting KC on a road trip a while back, I found a store called Happybottomus that had an entire wall dedicated to CD'ing. It was sooo fun to just look and feel all the different kinds of diapers, inserts, doublers, covers, wetbags, etc. It was cloth diaper heaven. Does anyone know of any other stores closer than KC that sell cloth diapers? I've looked at all of our Natural Living Stores here in town (Whole Foods, Green Acres, Food for Thought) and haven't seen anything... not even gDiapers. Has anyone seen anything in the local baby boutiques??

Green Acres has gDiapers, but like you I've bought most of my diapers online or made them myself.

mommy2makenzie
08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Ladies! I'm new to CDs and this site! I love it! Just wanted to shout out to all the other ladies from Wichita!!

rcarver
08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you girls have zoo memberships? That would be a fun place to meet up.

shureeg
08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
YES we have a zoo membership and LOVE it! I live about a mile from the zoo so that would work out perfect! rcarver, I'll pm you:)

shureeg
08-24-2008, 10:01 AM
so, would any of you want to get together at the zoo on tuesday morning like 10:30? we could meet out front and mosey around the zoo and get to know each other. let me know what you think!

rcarver
08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
OK Wichita Mamas! Shuree and I are going to the zoo on Tues. Anybody else coming?

glitterdaisymom
08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Sorry I can't join you. I have to work tomorrow morning. Would still love to meet up with you all another time.

shureeg
08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
I'll be at the entrance of the zoo at 10;30. Madeyn in the mai tai and Lily with her crazy curly hair int the neon green and blue stroller. I have red hair. My name is shuree as my username says... hope to see someone around!!

Alioop
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I make all our diapers. :)

lomarie83
08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I just moved here from Washington where I had a nice little boutique to go and get cloth diapering stuff, so I am going crazy trying to find a place here! My husband jokes that I should start my own business and I'm seriously considering it! Is there anywhere to buy a good detergent for cd's around here?

mrickmon
08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Wichita mommies! No, I'm not from Wichita, but we used to live in Medicine Lodge, KS (about an hour and a half away) and flew out of Wichita often to visit family back here in VA. I loved Kansas and miss many of the people we knew out there. My OB for my first was in Wichita and my son was born at Wesley Medical. Anyway, just wanted to say hi - have fun at the Sedgwick Zoo - I miss that too! :goodvibes:

Alioop
08-30-2008, 05:28 AM
lomarie

You can get country save detergent at Green Acres, thats what we use.

lomarie83
08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
goulds~
Thank you!! That's what I used in Washington, but their site didn't show a retailer in Wichita!

Alioop
08-30-2008, 11:12 PM
:D

tannerokeefe
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
How about another meetup??? I missed out on the first one!!:cry:

lomarie83
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I would love a meet up since I just moved here...I need to meet people. It's getting pretty lonely staying at home all day with no one to talk to but a toddler and an infant! I need some adult conversation! I'd also like to venture out and see other parts of this city! I'm also going up to the healthy baby boutique on saturday to talk to the owner about becoming a reseller down here in wichita if anyone else is interested.

Justine
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi! I am a Wichita, Kansas mommy, and I cloth diapered all of my children. It is such a great way to go. My children are out of diapers now, but I have been selling them locally and online for 8 years. I have many local customers in Wichita, and I am happy to arrange pick-up and/or delivery!

My diaper of choice is an All in One (AIO). I have tried virtually all of the AIOs on the market, and have chosen the most durable and economically friendly of the bunch. (For any who don't know: an AIO is a diaper you use that has no cover - it is completely waterproof on the outside and so easy to use.) The diaper I sell is the All Together AIO diaper, and you can see it on my site at beanblossoms.net. If you live in Wichita, and would like to purchase diapers, send me an email and we can make arrangements. I also sell polar fleece diaper liners (one side is purple fleece and the other is hemp). They are not on the site, yet, but they are $3.99.

I always had 2 dozen diapers and about 6 liners. With this set up I washed diapers every couple of days. I used the liners at night (sometimes 2 at a time) so baby could sleep without having to change her diaper.

I hope this helps! You do have a local supplier! I too know how hard it is to find people sympathetic to cloth diapering, baby-wearing, nursing & attachment parenting! Take care, and if I can offer any assistance, advice, etc., please email me! Good luck!

Justine
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Oops! I forgot to mention that I also carry Biokleen all natural laundry detergent. It is the choice of many cd mommies. There are stores in Wichita that do carry it, but I offer it in bulk which comes out considerably cheaper. Please remember if you buy from Beanblossoms in Wichita you won't pay any shipping!

Thanks again!

diane24
09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
We should have another meet up. I didn't even know about the first one!! I need to get out of the house sometime.

shureeg
09-05-2008, 09:55 PM
the 1st one was a spur of the moment! I would love to get together again!! we could go to maybe riverside park or the new sedgwick cnty park! that's great!!! let me know and we can get something put together!

Alioop
09-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi!

I too make diapers, although I have not been selling them much online since there are so many diaper makers out there. I have a snap press if anyone needs one too, I can put snaps on diapers you make for a small fee.

:D My girl is nearly 11 months old....still too young to play much with other kids, but a meetup would be good!

digitap
09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
A Meet-up sounds great. I bet my wife would join.

glitterdaisymom
09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Looking for something to do this Saturday?

http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/admission.html (http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/admission.html)

Go to the above website to print of a free admission to some local museums!

In Wichita there are 12 you can get into free! :cheer:

Botanica
Exploration Place(not the body exhibit)
Aviation Museum
Kansas Sports hall of fame
Old Cowtown
Lake Afton observatory
Mid American all Indian center
Ulrich museum of art
Wichita Art Museum
Wichita center for the arts
Wichita Sedgwick county historical museums.

MaMaMeA4
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm in Wichita (actually Maize) and had also been thinking about opening a CD store! I just don't know too many mamas in the are that CD to make it worthwhile! I make my own fleece covers and my husband keeps telling me I could make AIOs too! I'm venturing into making some soft toys for my son!

glitterdaisymom
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm in Wichita (actually Maize)

Hi mama... I'm just down the road from you... over at the Riverview area (53rd N & Meridian).

I still think that all the Wichita DS mamas should get together...

nicoleb
11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not technically Wichita, but suburbs count right?
My home is in Haysville, my money comes from and goes back to Wichita. (Not much shopping or employment in H-Town.)

sdodge
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I would love to do a meetup. I have actually been thinking of starting up a playgroup, maybe after the holidays... anyone interested? I live on the West-side, Kellogg and Maize area...

1stimer
11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I would be interested in a playgroup or a meet up, they both sound great. I live in Derby and have a happy little one year old girl who needs some happy little friends to play with! We moved here a year ago and haven't met any couples with children her age, so I must not be hanging out at the right places!

Anytime of the day or week is fine for us. I heard somewhere that during the winter season admission to the zoo is free on Wednesdays. I'm not sure though, I will have to check it out. Anyway I will be watching this thread.

Samantha

rcarver
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I think Zoo admission is $2/person on Wed. in winter. We have a membership and go often. We would love to do a meet up there.

glitterdaisymom
11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Target at Maple and Ridge now has Bumgenius diapers in stock along with wetbags, and nursing covers. It's on the endcap that has the babylegs.

I checked out the NW Target tonight to see if they are carrying any of that stuff but didn't see anything.

nicoleb
12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I saw the Bumgenius at Derby Target and Hotslings, Moby wraps, baby legs, and wetbags. I thought was shocked. (By the Way, Hi this is my first post to this thread.)

nicoleb
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I would be interested in a playgroup or a meet up, they both sound great. I live in Derby and have a happy little one year old girl who needs some happy little friends to play with! We moved here a year ago and haven't met any couples with children her age, so I must not be hanging out at the right places!

Anytime of the day or week is fine for us. I heard somewhere that during the winter season admission to the zoo is free on Wednesdays. I'm not sure though, I will have to check it out. Anyway I will be watching this thread.

Samantha

If you go to church I go to one in Derby. They have a nursery and Wednesday activities that are no cost. My son will play his buns off while I get to sit and have a rest. I don't usually do Wednesdays, but I go on Sundays and he has a variety of ages to play with. (He's 3 so he will be growing out of Nursery soon. It's the 1st Presbyterian Church of Derby, by Walgreens, Dairy Queen, and Subway.

rcarver
12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I think in the winter on Wednesdays admission to the zoo is only $2. I'd love to meet up there. We have a Wed. morning committment, but if I had enough warning, I could probably get out of it :thumbsup:

mother4JC
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
:holysheep: I didn't know there were so many from Wichita/surrounding area on here! I am in Rose Hill, but spend $$ and time in Wichita, and go to church there! I would love to get together! :lostit::lostit::lostit::lostit::lostit:

mother4JC
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh by the way anyone loving the snow!?

tranmama
12-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm in Derby, too! I am good friends with a couple of mamas in Wichita (met through an online coop!) who both cd and do natural parenting, as well. We get together all the time! I'm sure they would love (as would I) to get together with some local mamas! That would be GREAT! I go to St. Marys in Derby, and am a member of the La Leche League of Derby (PM me for info!).

rcarver
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Wichita mamas, where can I get some cool wahm made soap locally? I'd love to avoid shipping.

Alioop
09-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey! I am making soap these days! Just about to make a new batch. :)

Ginghart
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey, all! I too live near Wichita & cloth diaper my 2 little daughters who have special needs, ages 8 & 3.5. Just joined & know VERY LITTLE about the site -- would love a run-down of what all is here!

We're non-vax & pretty organic people. We have an M.D. we really like (in the suburbs) & she is open to all the weird stuff we do. Understands why we don't vaccinate. And we have a GREAT chiro. in town we rely on for most of our care!

Hope to hear more from the other Wichita Mommies! :)

Ginger

rcarver
11-26-2009, 07:38 PM
I think you will find a lot of chat forum here. You may want to check out the Parenting ones.

sarahdcl
11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I am also from the wichita area. I would LOVE to meet up sometime! Sometimes I feel like I am the only one around here who appreciates cloth diapers! :)

abbi_n_nadia
12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi mamas!!! I didn't know there were so many around here on DS! I am in Winfield about an hour away but we come up to Wichita all the time! I have a 3 year old dd that we CD'd, she's PL'd now but we're expecting our second LO any day now! I would love to do a meet up sometime! I'll be up there on Friday unless I go into labor before then! lol Today is my due date so not sure if we will make it but I have a Chiropractor appointment in Wichita on Friday. :)

Anybody free on Friday and want to meet up? Wheres a good place in Wichita indoors? Looks like it will be a nice day on Friday but cold!!

Mela
01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I am in Wichita, on the SE side. My daughter is 7 (almost 8) and my son is 2 1/2 months. I'm a SAHM and don't really know many people down here, but I'm happy to meet new people (especially if they have kids my daughter's age...she's pretty lonely when she's with me!).

rcarver
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Mela!

rcarver
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi mamas!!! I didn't know there were so many around here on DS! I am in Winfield about an hour away but we come up to Wichita all the time! I have a 3 year old dd that we CD'd, she's PL'd now but we're expecting our second LO any day now! I would love to do a meet up sometime! I'll be up there on Friday unless I go into labor before then! lol Today is my due date so not sure if we will make it but I have a Chiropractor appointment in Wichita on Friday. :)

Anybody free on Friday and want to meet up? Wheres a good place in Wichita indoors? Looks like it will be a nice day on Friday but cold!!

I grew up in winfield!

HealthyBabyBoutique
02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
i know this is an older post-but saw a few click throughs from this page to my site. i am the owner of healthy baby boutique in newton (and now we have a second store in manhattan). i have thought about moving my store to wichita. id be interested in visiting more if you would like to about some possibilities. just email me through our website. it will go directly to me, kendra.... healthy baby boutique dot com

bittersweetinsanity
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I've lived here for around 2 years and am really surprised that there isnt' more out there for "people like us". I love to BW, CD, AP, and general crunch!

I've been thinking about opening a local crunchy store.. though it would be online only until I made enough to open a brick and mortar store. I would offer local pickup and delivery with a fee. I'm pretty excited about it and really want to be a SAHM! I've worked franchise retail before and loved it!

glitterdaisymom
04-14-2010, 08:44 AM
welcome, bittersweetinsanity. Do you have a time frame in mind for your store?

mom2ls
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Hello ladies! I live about an hour north of ya'll near McPherson. There is a great CD'ing store in Newton along with a great organic and natural food store. It is on main - Healthy Baby Boutique, I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from there. :blush: I have 3 little boys, 5, 3 and 6 mo so only one in cloth. Wish I wouldn't know more about cloth with my oldest he was in sposies but finished my middle one in cloth and definatly am addicted! There a few people around here that CD - lots that are interested in what I'm doing with my boy's bumm. :giggle2: Glad to see other KS mama's on here!

Solomon's Mama
04-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm 20 minutes away in El Dorado but I come to Wichita all the time!

bittersweetinsanity
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
welcome, bittersweetinsanity. Do you have a time frame in mind for your store?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I thought I subbed this thread, but I definitely missed it.

I'm still trying to get all the paperwork together (business license, sales tax info, etc) and finding someone to make my website for me. I'm learning everything I can about website design and am having a hard time. I only get around 4-5 hours with my LO each night before she goes to bed so time is in short supply.

Working for myself is a big dream, but I currently carry our insurance through my job and would have to have something else in place before I can devote 100% of my time and effort into it. If I want this to work, I want to give everything I have to my customers!

If everything goes to plan, the store will be up and running by Fall 2010.

jenniepoo18
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
If everything goes to plan, the store will be up and running by Fall 2010.

It would be great to have something like that here. It is seriously lacking!

grizzardmommy
08-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I know no one has posted to this is awhile, but we are 30 min away in El Dorado....is it just me or do we live in the least crunchy part of the country?

bittersweetinsanity
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
It seems like it's few and far between that's for sure! El Dorado is probably worse than Wichita though! I've found a lot of like-minded mamas on TBW though!

Sweet Cheeks llc
09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Fellow Moms!
My name is Julie and I have opened a Mommy & Baby Botique in Wichita at 917 W. Douglas! (phone: 316-347-5444)

We are OPEN and planning for our Grand Opening for sometime in October 2010, thinking about a big Halloween bash! I will be carrying a full line of cloth diapers and other fun, funky, and trendy baby & mommy apparell! Please stop in and see me (and my 5 month old little girl Maecy!) We are on Facebook too @ Sweet Cheeks LLC fan page!

thanks, I look forward to meeting/seeing you!

Julie

ejbaemommy
11-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello I'm in wichita as well! I have 5 children!

~Heather
http://ejbamommy.blogspot.com

kansasmommy
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Been there great little shop!!! Join the FB page, cloth diaper swap at the end of this month too!

Hi Fellow Moms!
My name is Julie and I have opened a Mommy & Baby Botique in Wichita at 917 W. Douglas! (phone: 316-347-5444)

We are OPEN and planning for our Grand Opening for sometime in October 2010, thinking about a big Halloween bash! I will be carrying a full line of cloth diapers and other fun, funky, and trendy baby & mommy apparell! Please stop in and see me (and my 5 month old little girl Maecy!) We are on Facebook too @ Sweet Cheeks LLC fan page!

thanks, I look forward to meeting/seeing you!

Julie

rcarver
11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I have got to check out Sweet Cheeks

MommaLeroy
06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Are there any diaper exchanges going on in Wichita? I just moved here from KC where cloth diapering is a much bigger deal.

bittersweetinsanity
06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
We have a Facebook group and some of the shops host swaps every few months. I haven't participated on DS enough to be ableto message people, but if you check out Sweet Cheeks on facebook they can direct you to the KS CD Group.