PDA

View Full Version : Have I been scammed?

GrandIsp
09-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, here's the story -
I participate, occasionally, in the May 05 Birth Board on BabyCenter. In mid-June, one of the mamas posted pics of some cute wooden creations she had made. I posted and asked if she sold them ever - she said sure and gave me her website for more photos. I looked and decided to get something...a wooden baseball bat coat hanger. She gave me a discount for being on her bbc board. I sent her the check for ~$20 for the item and shipping.

I was gone all July, but my husband was home. I come home in Aug and we still haven't rec'd the baseball hanger. I emailed her and asked if she got my check (then checked and it had cleared) she said yes. TOld her we didn't get bat. She was upset and said she hadn't taken out DC so she couldn't track it, but would send another. 2 wks goes by and still nothing. I em again and she says she sent another, she didn't take out insurance or DC cause she already lost money, she thinks I'm 'duping' her by saying I didn'd get it when I did, or that someone in our neighborhood is stealing my packages (never happened to us before, but who knows?). Blabbity blah. I told her I was thinking the same about her, and I thought she should have taken out DC or ins. She agreed she should have, and said she was going to send a 3rd one. I said that she should only do that if she really wants to because I don't know what I'll do if the '3rd' one doesn't arrive.

So, That was around mid-late August and I never rec'd my bat and I havent' heard from her. WWYD? Have I been totally scammed or is this an honest flukey PO mix up?

LuAnn
09-20-2006, 04:33 PM
I say NEVER send a check, but I'm thinking scam, sorry mama

Termie
09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd contact her one more time and tell her you'd like the DC # for the 3rd one (if she didn't buy it... no one would believe 3 didn't show). Tell her she has until X date and if you don't hear from her by then you will be contacting the police in her town. Actually you may need the FBI if she is in another state. Other mamas who have been taken by out of state moms with diapers would know better.

travelinmom
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
:yeahthat: I hope you get it soon.

GrandIsp
09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, it WAS my first experience buying from another mama and I have to say I'll never do it that way again. (ETA: No, it was my second...first was buying some WAHM dipes from another May mama and that went just fine). But now I only stick to places where people have feedback (although she claims to have feedback on ebay that I did check...but the name isn't like her BBC screen name). Argh. But isn't sending a check kinda like sending pp - trusting the other person will send the item? Or can she access my account somehow with my check? Yikes!!!

I hate to think that people would do stuff like that...and it was kind of indirect..I mean, she wasn't even posting on BBC to sell her stuff, she just mentioned 'hey look what I made!' kinda thing.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
i think so, thats crazy, IMO if the first package doens't show up, you need to send another WITH d/c no matter what, this way for peace of mind you both can view the item and see when and if it arrives, no quetions asked..you are owed money back, thats is just nuts!:yuck:

ClarebearNkids
09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
ITA I mean, come on!! Delivery confirmation and insurance is not THAT expensive. She should have done it both after the first didn't show. I am firm believer that for the most part, the US Postal Serive is good, but three packages lost is very much stretching the bar there. I'm sorry. I think you were scammed and hopefully it never happens to you again. :hugs:

betty_joanne
09-21-2006, 09:40 AM
The fact that she is willing to send out the item 2 extra times and pay shipping on the items(which would be expensive since they are wood) but not add $.60 dc screams scam.