PDA

View Full Version : DH is letting me research HSing!

keegans_mommy
09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh joy! Ladies I am so excited! I have been so upset with the public school system for years, our kids are falling behind and they are so smart one-on-one! The keep leaving our kids behind, providing inappropriate activities for them, nasty school lunches and you know that a school is one big petrie dish of germs :yuck: just to name a few of our disgusted thoughts about public schools!

I have questions and my DH has even more! LOL I had to really talk with him quite intensly about it but he's really going for it more than I first thought!

He's wanting social activities for the kids in which I KNOW there are HSing groups around and I need to simply find them. He's concerned about my own academic weaknesses (math) and how I will get around them now that Tiff's in older grades. He's also thinking about college and how our kids will get in them without HS credits :headscratch:

If all questions can be answered to his satisfaction he will approve but I am really putting the pressure on :hugegrin:

so ladies, help me to answer his questions!

sunshinemama
09-23-2006, 07:49 AM
I know there are quite a few very exp HS mams on here that will come to help you. I'm :lostit: for you that your Dh is letting you approach this. Mine has been on the fence and is now coming up with (to me) stupid reasons that ds should attend public school. ie taking sack lunch, bringing a new pic or great paper home to mommy. I keep telling him sack lunch? who cares & the great papers & pics are still exciting for him to show me and he loves showing daddy. :)

Anyhow, sorry to vere off but just wanted to say :lostit: :goodvibes: and you'll find alot of support here. :)

togg_mama
09-23-2006, 08:07 AM
You are in the hot-bed of homeschooling. Some of the best legal advocates are in Virginia!

If you google "Virginia Homeschooling Association" you'll get several hits.

Another good source would be www.hslda.org. If you homeshool after pulling your kids out of public school, they will be a huge help to you. I always advise new homeschoolers to be members of HSLDA because they will defend you if the local school district decides to be stupid.

As for activites, one thing to remember is that you have four kids and one on the way. You need to make sure you don't over-do. When I was younger, all three of us kids were on the swim team together. This made practices and meets a family activity.

You will also have activities through your umbrella support group.

HTH.

keegans_mommy
09-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Thank you for the advice. :) We expect "stupid" from others LOL I am worried about the expense of HSing, finding the right curricullum and finding activities that will compliment our studies.

I have found a homeschooling group that does activities together, has parenting meetings once a month and such but we live paycheck-to-paycheck and do not need the stresses of having to pay for an activity on such-and-such a date. But at the same time, I want my children to have a group of kids they see on a regular basis, like public school, and to have these neat activities, KWIM?

How do you get around that? Or should I just come up with my own?

I did HS Tiffany for most of her first grade year and she jumped through 1st grade and 2nd grade and started on some of 3rd grade that year! It was incredible! I wish that I had kept going :banghead: But it cost money for curricullum and extra activites.

Also, I STINK at math! How do I get around that one????

urchin_grey
09-23-2006, 08:41 AM

We have a Sylvan Learning Center here, and they host a group where mom's can volunteer to teach a subject that is their strong point. That way, the parents that don't feel strong in a certain area can bring their child in to be taught by another mom or dad for that one subject.

I don't know if you have anything like that in your town, but its worth looking into! HTH!

1bigfamily
09-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Sylvan is great but it costs ALOT! I recommend Math U See curriculum for them. You can get the older version of the curriculum for very cheap on this group and it is great. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MUSSwap/ Someone offered me the older version that covered what would normally be K-4th grade or so for only $15 and then all I had to buy was a $15 workbook from the company and voila I was set for a few years. I did choose to go with the newer version but from what I have heard the older one is fine. You watch a video and then you do the workbook. It does all the teaching and you don't have to!! :hugegrin: It goes all the way to Algebra II and PreCalculus. http://www.mathusee.com/sequence.html

As for social activities, the local group I belong to has free activities also. We have park day and there are field trips. Today some of them went to a Desert Festval that was going on and it was all about the local desert wildlife and plant life. There are trips to the fire station or the local t.v. station. You can do anything you want. Alot of companies are great about tours and such. Things don't have to cost money, just let your imagination go wild!!

ETA Your local Freecycle group is a great resource too. I have gotten many items through it. A lot of homeschool moms use it/.

desertblossom79
09-23-2006, 10:03 PM
To answer your high school credit question, there are several ways around this. There are several accredited high school programs for homeschoolers. KeyStone High School is one, Abeka also has a high school program complete with graduation ceremony if you go down to FL for it. But these tend to be the most expensive options. You can also do dual enrollment where your student takes classes at the local community college as a high school student. Many of the lower level classes are actually high school level classes so people can refresh their memories if it's been a while or make credits they missed or didn't get a very good grade in in high school. When I was going to cc there were several homeschooled high school aged students in my refresher courses taking the classes for both hs and college credit. Many times the students are allowed to attend for free so long as they maintain a certain gpa or they can apply for student aid (grants and scholarships and such). Lastly there is always the GED, but many colleges actively recuit homeschool students now so it's not always necessary to "graduate" and get a diploma to go to college.

We too live paycheck to paycheck. I have an "allowance" for school related spending to include school supplies, activities, lessons and curriculum. I found a program for LA that covers us from preschool through jr high for all 3 kids and all I need to supply now that we've made the initial investment is paper
(which I print for free off the internet). I was lucky enough to get Saxon Math books 1 - Algebra 1/2 from another hs mama for free! So I'm set with my oldest's math for a while. I'm just using the Saxon as a guideline with my youngers and doing our own activities. Again, my only cost is paper and pencils. Science kits, educational games and other things like that become Christmas and birthday presents. My kids think get rocket kits and binoculars for bird watching for Christmas is cool! I use FIAR for all the other subject right now, I've bought the manuals and some of the books over the years but mostly we use the library...alot! LOL! Homeschooling is only as expensive as you make it.

For the mama who said her dh thought their kids would miss out on bring their sack lunch to school....my kids love sack lunch day! About 2 days a week (dd's ballet day being one of them), I pack sack lunches for us in th am and on ballet day we take our lunches to the park after ballet, at home they like to picnic in the backyard with them. It's one less thing for me to think about when lunches are already made and waiting for us at lunch time. ;-)

HTH

Jeni

Summer
09-24-2006, 05:24 AM
many colleges actively recuit homeschool students now so it's not always necessary to "graduate" and get a diploma to go to college.

This is VERY true and becoming more so. My SIL homeschooled her 2 boy's from 4th & 6th grade on years ago. They have both already graduated college and have very good job's. They also received some scholarship money to attend college.:mrgreen:

Also, we live in KY and I remember my nephews having a graduating ceremony here with cap and gown. It was a LARGE graduation that took hours. Maybe each state offers a graduation ceremony and you don't "have" to travel to Florida. It may just be held in one of the larger cities within your state. My nephews got Sr. rings, Sr. pictures and also went to proms. They loved being homeschooled and don't have any regrets.

togg_mama
09-24-2006, 08:37 AM
community college is a wonderful thing! :goodvibes:

1bigfamily
09-24-2006, 09:20 AM
There is a family on our local group that even did letter jackets with their kids. They earned points for being involved in sports and if they earned enough they lettered. They had a prom, bought class rings and everything. Some places have HS choirs and bands too. HSers don't have to miss out on anything. HTH