PDA

View Full Version : Seafood?

tmrobinson
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I never really paid attention when reading about if seafood is ok or not.....I don't eat seafood usually. About once a year I have a tuna sandwhich but will also eat lobster or crab. So are lobster and crab ok or not?

robertribeye
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
no to shellfish. I don't eat sea food either. So is lobster and crab a shellfish? don't know. But tuna is ok here and there.

tmrobinson
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't think they are considered shell fish. I thought that was like clams, oysters, and muscles, that type of seafood is shellfish.

OneFabMama
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't think they are considered shell fish. I thought that was like clams, oysters, and muscles, that type of seafood is shellfish.

Yeah.

It's so hard to keep up with what is "okay" and what isn't. And, no one really ever tells you (at least no one ever told me)...I ate scallops once or twice this pregnancy.

I know fish that are high in mercury should be pretty much avoided, but I think if you ate it once or twice it wouldn't hurt (high mercury fish shouldn't be eaten often - pregnant or not, KWIM?).

momofrowdyboys
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I have eaten crab and lobster with all 3 of my pregnancies. i also eat fish in the recommended amounts but, I do avoid high mercury fish. Shellfish is not a good idea to eat. They are bottom feeders and can make you sick especially when consumed raw. Hope that helps you:elmo:

Samo
06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
i didn't think there was a problem with shellfish/fish? I have been eating tons of crawfish and crabs...mmm yummy! I don't cut any seafood out of my diet...well...limit tuna to a can a week (but i don't even eat it that much anyway so it's no change to my normal diet of tuna)

MCmom3
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd say as long as it's fully cooked that it should be okay - avoiding the high mercury fish though of course. I never knew the difference between lobster/crab and shellfish. I'm allergic to it all though, so maybe that's why I didn't know. I've heard that eating seafood can actually be good for brain development. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's what I heard.

Jessy&Noah
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm just nosing around for an update from Mary - I'm from July 08 but I wanted to help you out.

Seafood is fine to eat during pregnancy and is sooo good for the baby. The DHA you get in a serving of fish is excellent for brain development. The supplements like fish oil and etc only provide 25% of the benefit eating actual fish does.

You want to avoid eating fresh fishes that are larger and at the top of the food chain (eat smaller fish) - like mackeral, tuna steaks, swordfish, and shark.

Canned tuna is okay to have once a week if you must. Light tuna has less mercury than white tuna and there is a brand at Whole Foods and online that I carry in my store called American Tuna. It's mercury free, pole caught, small fish - it's white albacore tuna and it's delicious. You can eat as much as you want.

As for shellfish, lobster and shrimp and crab are perfectly fine - and shrimp and lobster have the "good fats" that you are looking for in fish. The only shellfish to avoid is oysters and clams. A fried clam would be fine as would be mussels in a pasta dish or something. Oysters and clams need to be cooked to 160 degrees to be safe for a pregnant woman to eat (and they are a lot like rubber at that point :yuck: ) so I say avoid them all together.

HTH!!! Salmon is one of the best types you can eat because it's really high in the Omega 3 Fatty Acids - and the cheaper farmed salmon has more than wild.

ETA for one of the pp's that scallops are fine, too!