PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Addis Ababa?

YnotBhappy
06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Okay...I know this isn't a hot spot for traveling, but I knwo there are some of you who have been here.
Where are some good places to see? Where are some good places to eat? Ideas/???

addiesmommy
06-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I've heard Blue Tops is a good restaurant. Rico's is supose to have good pizza.

here's a good blog post with some good info.

http://ourwalkbyfaith.blogspot.com/2008/04/brain-dump-travel.html

La Mere D'Anna
06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi! Congrats on your exciting adoption! :)

Here is a great link I found for you. It lists other great sites: http://ethiopia.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/things-to-do-in-addis-ababa

(hehe... just had to add... whenever I think of Addis Ababa, I think of that episode of Bones...) :giggle:

figlette
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
What to do in Addis? Get out of it. ;) Addis is great, but if you are able to get out of the city for even a day trip, do. Ethiopia is a beautiful country. See all that you can.

If you only go to one museum, hit the Ethnological museum. Fabulous cultural information on different ethnic groups.

Eat out if you can. There are great restaurants. I am not sure how current my restaurant knowledge is, but if you need suggestions, holler. I am sure the Top View is still there. It has a gorgeous view of the city and is quite tasty. Mostly Italian.

The Former Women Fuel Wood Carriers Association at the base of the Entoto mountains is a market working to help women learn skills to support themselves in ways other than illegally gathering firewood, which is back breaking work and destroys what little forestland remains. I think it is on Entoto road.

If you would like to do some shopping without negotiating, the Hailie Selassie shop is fixed priced and has a great selection. Also the All Africa Leprosy Rehabilitation and Training Center (ALERT) has an art training and craft shop, which is fixed price and sells very high quality items. Or grab a guide and go to the Merkato.

The Hilton has a book kiosk that is worth visiting. There are books and music that you will not be able to find here. Ask the clerk for a little assistance and you will be amazed at what you can find.

Happy travels.

YnotBhappy
06-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you! Great ideas! I am taking down a list and will take it with us!!! And thanks for the "no barter" places. I HATE bartering!