PDA

View Full Version : Non/Delay Vaxing Alberta Moms - some questions

daisy0306
06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
This is our vaxing scheduale, can you tell me what ones you chose to do, which ones you are delaying and which ones you will not be getting? I'm starting to do some research and would like some input into what other AB moms are doing in regards to vaxing.

2 months DTaP-IPV-Hib1
Pneumococcal conjugate
Meningococcal conjugate
4 months DTaP-IPV-Hib
Pneumococcal conjugate
Meningococcal conjugate
6 months DTaP-IPV-Hib
Pneumococcal conjugate
6-23 months Influenza2
12 months

MMR3
Varicella (Chickenpox)
Meningococcal conjugate
18 months DTaP-IPV-Hib
Pneumococcal conjugate
4 6 years DTaP-IPV4
MMR
Grade 5 Hepatitis B (3 doses)
14 16 years dTap5

Note: each bullet represents one vaccine/injection

* 1 Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis, polio, haemophilus influenza type b
* 2 Annually, during influenza season
* 3 Measles, mumps, rubella
* 4 Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis, polio
* 5 Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis

http://www.health.alberta.ca/public/imm_routine-schedule.html

NaturalUrbanMama
06-13-2008, 09:14 PM
We're doing one needle at a time and we didnt' start until 5 months. We did all 3 at once at 5 months and she had a brutal fever and was a total bag for a week.

so, she's had 1 of her 4 month shots so far. They'll be 4 weeks apart, give or take.

We're opting out of the flu shot as a) it's egg based and b) my doctor thinks that it's a waste of time.

I originally opted out of varicella for DS, but changed my mind recently so he got that one at our last appointment.

We're just taking it really slow and DTAP goes last.

Have you read the Vaccine Book?

daisy0306
06-13-2008, 09:29 PM
our boys are 5 days apart :goodvibes:

no, I haven't read the book, who writes it?

NaturalUrbanMama
06-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Awesome!! Are you the Edmonton area?

Dr Sears.. I borrowed it from a friend of mine and though most of it is American based, it's areally awesome for overall interest sake. I like that it's a bit more matter of fact as opposed to some of the scary pro and scary con books that are out there.

daisy0306
06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
no :( Grande Prairie. Thank you, I'll try to get my hands on that book :thumbsup:

NaturalUrbanMama
06-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Your library should have it. Otherwise, chapters definitely would. Good luck! Let me know what you end up deciding!

eco-baby
06-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I weighed the pro's and cons with both my kids, and both times I decided to vax...but I think it's best to make and educated choice, kudo's mama!:goodvibes:

Bumby
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I just wanted to mention that the bases used for the vaccines are often different from those used in the states.

medea
07-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Can I tag in a question here, please?

We are probably moving back to Alberta this year, but there are a lot of those DS does not have. Polio is only oral in Japan so we can't do that, but we would do it as soon as we can in Alberta.

If you delay, when and where do you get the vaxes? Just from your DC's ped? Or do you have to go to a special clinic?

Can you get into daycare without all of the vaxes listed at top?

NaturalUrbanMama
07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Medea -

You can get into some daycares - it depends on which ones. You'd have to ask the specific daycare what their policy is. Our dayhome has a lot of non-vaxed kids in it.

You get Vax's at the Public Health centres - there's one in every "area" of the cities - you make an appointment with them and the nurses give the vaccines.

Hope that helps!

daisy0306
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the input ladies :goodvibes:

medea
07-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the help! I've got my mom on the case now. :)

daisy0306
07-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Where in Alberta are you thinking of moving?

benjaminsmom
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
We aren't/haven't done the flu shot or chicken pox. We may do the chicken pox much later if he hasn't contracted it naturally. Everything else is up to date though.

vickieboggs
07-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I did the first one for ds and I wish I wouldn't have and I plan on not doing any of the rest. I plan on going the homeopathic route if I choose to do any.

my dd had all of them up till 18 months but she as well will never get another vaccine unless it's homeopathic.

daisy0306
07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I did the first one for ds and I wish I wouldn't have and I plan on not doing any of the rest. I plan on going the homeopathic route if I choose to do any.

my dd had all of them up till 18 months but she as well will never get another vaccine unless it's homeopathic.

we did the same here :thumbsup: Please tell me about homeopathic....

NaturalUrbanMama
07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes! Please tell more. DD has had all of her 2 month, plus 2/3 of her 4 month and I'm about ready to stop..

MammaKoz
07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
We don't vax at all here either.

I would love to hear more about the homeopathic stuff! :D

raelynn
07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I'd like to learn about homeopathic vaxes too. DS had his 2/4/6 mo shots and we stopped after that. We have no plans to do any other vaxes, and none for the next baby.

mommyspot
07-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Another mom here in the same boat... DD is 22 months and up to date, DS is 3 months and had his first set, but with every shot I give my kids I feel more and more like it's not what I want to be doing. For those of you who decided not to vax, can you give me any pointers as to where to start looking for info, DS's next appointment is in two weeks for his next set and I wanted to get as much info as I could before then so I could make a good decision. I am thinking I want to go with not vaxing, although I never thought of just getting some of them, but I want be well informed and I really have no clue where to start and I just don't have as much time as I used to to find all the info :(

ALSO, for those of you who decided just to do some, what was the reaction from the health nurses? Is it is fight with them to NO vax your kids? I already had to go through a bunch of grief with friends and family over not circumsising, but at least I had lots of info to back me up.

bezbabe
07-22-2008, 01:13 AM
neither of my bio kids are vaxed at all (my stepdd is current and our adopted son was but won't get any more shots)...i find that if you are firm with the nurses that you are not getting it done and you already have heard their arguments, they will leave you alone...you just have to repeat that a few times as kids go into school and stuff but it's never been a big issue...my 8 yo dd was able to attend a daycare in spruce grove after my divorce with no issues and i had to tell her principal she wasn't vaxed...my family dr just retired and he was all ok with me doing whatever i felt was best so i'm nervous about finding a new doc...i too would love to hear more about homeopathic versions

daisy0306
07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Another mom here in the same boat... DD is 22 months and up to date, DS is 3 months and had his first set, but with every shot I give my kids I feel more and more like it's not what I want to be doing. For those of you who decided not to vax, can you give me any pointers as to where to start looking for info, DS's next appointment is in two weeks for his next set and I wanted to get as much info as I could before then so I could make a good decision. I am thinking I want to go with not vaxing, although I never thought of just getting some of them, but I want be well informed and I really have no clue where to start and I just don't have as much time as I used to to find all the info :(

ALSO, for those of you who decided just to do some, what was the reaction from the health nurses? Is it is fight with them to NO vax your kids? I already had to go through a bunch of grief with friends and family over not circumsising, but at least I had lots of info to back me up.

DS is fully vaxed to 18 months and DD had her first set. I first started to question vaxing when DS was due for his last set. I decided I didn't want him to have the Chicken Pox vax - I thought they would ask, but they didn't. So I held my child's arm while they vaxed him. It happened so fast that it was over before I had a chance to say anything. To this day is bothers me. DD got her first set of shots that same day, and that was the last time we were there.

When DD was about 9 months old they called to tell me that she was behind (or was it due for shots? I can't remember) I told them that we were delay/selective vaxing and that I was still doing research and deciding what we were going to do. I was totally surprised when she was very supportive and asked me if there was anything she could do to help me!! I asked her to send me all the pamphlets with the info. She asked if I wanted some to follow up in a few weeks. I was very happy that she didn't argue with me, I'm very non confrontaional, which is why I never took them in. I didn't want to argue with someone over my desicions, especially when I didn't have all the info to back it up.

I think the MMR is the main one that concerns most people.

Lareina
10-19-2008, 12:11 AM
I found a really good book at my public library called Your child's best shot : a parent's guide to vaccination by Ronald Gold. It's a Canadian Publication and it's got tons of information on everything you'd ever want to know about the vaccinations.

I so far have done all the vaccinations except for Chicken Pox... I got the schpiel from the health nurse and my doctor about that one. My doctor even told me that it's MORE dangerous for children to have chicken pox than adults?? I thought it was the other way around... at least everything I've read says that... She wants me to reconsider but I'm going to wait till she's at least 12 and if she hasn't gotten it by that time, I'll probably get her the vaccination then. I had chicken pox at 17 years old and it was terrible. I just don't feel secure in the fact that it will last their whole lifetime with the limited time it's been around.

hkenny
10-02-2009, 02:45 AM
so far my dd has had her 2 and 4 month shots, i just keep having an unnerving feeling about it. I'm frustrated with everyone I ask, it seems they are either for or against and there is no in between. I asked my pediatrician and he said i should do most of then but maybe not all. he is a a bit old school. He said he didnt think chicken pox was a uselful vaccine. I probably wont do it. Its just so hard no matter what I choose someone is going to give me crap for it!! My dd was fine after both sets, no fever, not even fussy. I did give her childrens dha oil prior too......this is suppose to help protect their brain stem. My mom told me that, figured it wouldnt hurt. Now we have to decide about the H1N1 vaccine and flu shot.....i have an interesting email on those for whoever wants it.

There is a seminar in Red Deer on October 21st at 6pm. Its all about Vaccines. Dr Andrew Moulden is the speaker. If anyone wants to see the brochure I can forward you the email.

Kirsie
10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I had the first 2 injections of the DTap with dd#2 just because of the potential fatalities with Pertussis. But she has had nothing since- nor will she. DD#1 was caught up to 18 month's. If I knew then what I know now she wouldn't have been. I had all kinds of bowel issues and colic symptoms that occured directly following the injections but I trusted my doctor when he said they were not connected. I found out later that these are definitely possible side-effects >:(

daisy0306
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know how long the first Chicken pox vax lasts? I would so love to find a pox party but have no idea how to go about it.

bestiebutts
10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I chose delayed vaccination. It seems weird to me to inject so many different strains in to a ten lb child. So we spread out starting at 5 ish months and let her immune system keep up with protecting her body....... My first daughter was vaccinated on schedule and she is vaccine resistant. She has had three vaccine protected illnesses.

Pompoms
10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a friend who delayed the chicken pox vaccine and her family had a terrible terrible case of the chicken pox. They got foot and mouth disease, her husband got the shingles...they were sick for months. She kind of wished that they had after that.

I live in the Spirit River area (just outside of GP). It really depends on the nurse as to how much of a push you get and what you are comfortable with. I take a lot of flack because I am not giving my daughter that new vaccine for the cervical (forget what its called). There is just too much of a push to get it for me.

personally we opted to vaccinate for everything AND I gave my son the Hep B vaccination. Will be checking into for our daughter too. We made sure to get the chicken pox and measles vaccination for both of them because my husband and I had horrific cases of the chicken pox as children (I had it all the way up my vagina and in my mouth and everything) and then right before I had my son had a terrible case of the shingles. That pretty much sealed the deal for me :lol:

But I have friends who don't vaccinate. Personally I think that the homeopathic vaccinations (you can get them at teh Dawson Creek Health Food Store) are no different than the regular vaccinations. If you are comfy with them fantastic but I was listening to a woman at the child & book time at the Dawson Creek library and she was going on and on about these homeopathic vaccinations and it all sounded a little off to me. Of course I didn't like her much and she complained about my son's activity level so much (going to point she grabbed my kid and told him to stay away from her daughter and stop dancing during playtime) that I stopped going. So admittedly, I was a little biased against her and her opinions to begin with.

daisy0306
10-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Pompoms, we're really close to each other :) I'm in GP ):

I have a GF that vaxes her DD with the homeopathic ones. I haven't done any research into them myself.

Pompoms
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Yah like 40 mins!! I do a monthly shopping trip to Costco in GP....if you do research them if a person can get them in Dawson you could definitely get them in GP

daisy0306
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Yes I think she gets them in the health food store here :)

Pompoms
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
But she was telling us how these vaccines were supposed to protect against everything as well as herpes and cold sores and all it is this tablet you take. Really what's the difference between them and a regular vaccination then?

And why this big push for the HPV vaccination to be done right now. all the research says its only good for 5 years. Unless my kid is going to be becoming sexually active and at risk when she's EIGHT..its not going to do much good. so what then..vaccinate again? When you have to pay $650 I was told...if its supposed to do so much good why can't you still get it for free later on?

Pompoms
10-23-2009, 07:15 PM
i'm really rather curious about why the HPV isn't free later on - and what the difference is between the tablet and the regular vaccines actually :P

(so does that make me a delaying vaccinator too if not getting the HPV vaccine?)

daisy0306
10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Are you asking about Hib or Gardasil? I *think* that Hib is for Hep B? And Gardasil is for herpes. My DD won't be getting Gardasil. Hopefully by the time she is old enough they will have a better idea how safe it is.

I think you would be a selective Vaxer if you decide not to get it, delay vax is if you get it, but not at the recommended time :)

ATallGiraffe
10-23-2009, 08:13 PM
What do you think about the chicken pox vaccine? I am not sure what to do with that one.

http://atallgiraffe.blogspot.com

daisy0306
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
DS got it, I wish he hadn't :( Totally unnecessary IMO. they need a booster and them by the time the vax wears off they are in their teens and adults when its WORSE if the get it.